Subs i should get

Username: Derek6

Dunedin, Fl

Post Number: 2
what subwoofers would be the best for me to get. i want to spend around 350 for the pair. i will be running them off of a kenwood kac-812d amplifier?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2709
R.M.S. Power Output (1-Ohm/1-Channel): 1016 Watts (1.0% THD+N)
R.M.S. Power Output (2-Ohms/1-Channel): 919 Watts (1.0% THD+N)
R.M.S. Power Output (4-Ohms/1-Channel): 533 Watts (1.0% THD+N)

^^^ Power rating for your amp. Not sure if it really does that amount of power since its a kenwood. But anyways.

What kind of subs are you looking for. SQ, SQL, or SPL. SQ (sound quality) , SQL (Sound quality loudness), spl is just loud. And what about a box? Did you want to go sealed or ported.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1519
spl is "sound pressure level" which in lamens terms means "non-musical"...

you could get a pair of alpine type R's for about 250 shipped on ebay.

or a pair of soundstream van gogh's for under 275 shipped.

Dunedin, Fl

Post Number: 3
i wanted sql and a ported box. i want to hit deep lows.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4355
i'd do a single sub setup personally.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 710
I second the single sub, RD Sonance would hit the lows excellent.

Dunedin, Fl

Post Number: 4
have you guys heard it? if so how loud is it?

Dunedin, Fl

Post Number: 7
well thanks for the suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 233
Fi Q
or a pair of ID's
or RL-i's

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 576
If ur looking into type R's I have a pair for sale. Under 3 hours of use in origonal box purchased brand new. Let me know if you are interested. $230 shipped.

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 458
i have that amp on a 15" AA arsenal and it sounds Very nice.

Username: Breakdown

Post Number: 2
there are a lot of other brands that have been a round for a while that would be better than RD i think. even ficaraudio hasn't been around that long and i would still rather have their subs cuz of price and performance

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 631
^ I guess you haven't talked to people who have owned both yet. Why not hit up Logan on here and see what he has to say. He has worked with both Rd Audio and FI.

Post Number: 4
"^ I guess you haven't talked to people who have owned both yet. Why not hit up Logan on here and see what he has to say. He has worked with both Rd Audio and FI."

that is why i said i think. i don't care what someone else thinks because the design that RD uses on most of their subs (just like SJA) are not designs that i like at all.

Post Number: 5
i also don't like that Low-Hz is cramming RD Audio down everyone's throats when so few people have had a chance to hear them yet. those guys keep posting in every thread "buy RD THIS from us" or "buy RD THAT from us". disgusting.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrogowski

Post Number: 25
Hi Derek,

What size were you after? Also, what vehicle is it going into? Do you have any idea how much space you can allocate to your subs?

Lots of variables here...

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 632
Harold Dunder...You just sign up to bash? It really is starting to make me laugh. Go back over to SSA and have fun in your small ninche in the car audio community.

As you will soon learn, people hear care more about performance than politics.

Post Number: 7
i'm not on SSA it is too slow for me

Silver Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 769
I have heard the Sonance and it is VERY nice and gets very low. For $350 and looking for SQL you can go with either: 2 RD Audio Classic 12's, 2 DD 1512's, or a SI BM 12. Now if you can put forth a little more money, you can grab a MAG 15 :-)

Kevin
lowhz01@yahoo.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
For a fraction of that price, you can go with 2 Mach 5 MAW-15's which have beat out subs twice its price range. Yup, that's right, for ~225USD you can have gut wrenching bass that pounds - hard.

Or, if you have the extra space, snag a pair of MJ-18's. Don't let the price fool you as it did others - these things will slam if you want them to. One person did a 146.x with a pair in a Saturn - in a sealed box. So if its volume you want with decent punchy bass, email me at sales@mach5audio.com or head over to http://www.soundaudiosolutions.com to purchase.

Nowadays, good quality can be had for less.

Best,
Mark

Silver Member
Username: Reppinqc

Charlotte, NC USA

Post Number: 421
Mark you sure do know how to impress people with your descriptions on the subs...

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 633
http://www.mach5audio.com/images/MJ-18.gif

http://www.rdaudio.net/woofers/classic02.jpg

Just open your eyes and take a look

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12266
I LOVE ECOUSTICS..lol

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 634
And that is just a classic compared to the MJ-18. For two of the maw-15 subs shipped compared to 2 classics shipped the price difference is only $25. So the fraction of the price Mark must have been talking about was 9/10

And I am just wondering, but why are shipping charges so high on your subs mark? Are you located in Canada?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 636
It is great Chauncey. It is the most constitutional forum on the net! Really brings a new meaning to freedom of speech lol.

I just low how the OP will probably never see this thread again, and it is just a bunch of dealers going back and fourth about their products. But it really does show whos products are superior!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28

Actually, Ecoustics isn't too bad after all..

Yeah, please take a look - at the price. Looks aren't everything, design and performance is. Mach 5 wasn't built on looks..

But please, don't take my word for it. Scope out what folks are saying about Mach 5 on some of the other forums. The biggest stigma I face is the fact that my product is too cheaply priced. Mach 5 runs next-to-no-profit, which means you get much more for what you pay for. Those who have purchased, know this.

Best,
Mark

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
"And that is just a classic compared to the MJ-18. For two of the maw-15 subs shipped compared to 2 classics shipped the price difference is only $25. So the fraction of the price Mark must have been talking about was 9/10"

Weird, I don't see a "classic 15". Care to post a linky?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 639
The price is about $25 different when comparing similiar sizes. So what is your point?

And the fact that we are even trying to compare classics to maw's/mj's is funny. Anyone can see that classic's build quality is superior to that of the MAW's or MJ's. The studio series would be a much better comparison since they are both entry level budget drivers.

And before when you were saying 2 18's could hit 146 db's. I am guessing the price would be around $250 shipped for the pair of 18's from you. For that same price you could pick up an old alpha from Rd Audio that will hit harder and you don't need to use 8 cubes or whatever to support 2 18's.

I am not trying to put down your subs at all. They have a nice little place in the market, but for people who have the money to go with subs with a much better build quality, it wouldn't make sense to go budget all the way. Because you do sacrifice performance when cutting all those costs.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrray13

Post Number: 14
so we sell subs based on looks now? my motor is bigger then yours, so it has to be better? that is funny. going by that logic one should only by memphis LVS subs, or elevation audio subs. i mean, comeon, they'll dwarf anything other then the new xxx or sledgehammer. and personally, i wouldn't own any one of those subs, even if given too me. i also install memphis just about everyday, and the LVS is the biggest POS they make, literally.

so get off the mine is better looking or bigger then yours horse. mark has yet to recieve a bad review anywhere, his subs did outstanding in the great 12 challange(search CSO, you'll find all theinfo there, or holler at loyd himself. he liked those subs quite a bit), especially considering it's price vs everyone elses.

that's pretty damn noObish, mine looks better then yours..lol..

thanks for the laugh of the day.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
and on the build quality standpoint, i don't believe mark has ever had any kind of comment made about his subs tearing up. and that includes people feeding them quite a bit more then recommended rms power. i say research mark and mach5 a bit more before comparing his product with anything you carry. especially since he designs everything he sells. you go through distributors, so you'll push whatever gives you the biggest margin. i believe mark and mach5 will more then hold their own in a build quality arguement.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 640
I think a test may be in order in the near future

Post Number: 8
"I think a test may be in order in the near future "

from what i've seen you low-hz guys probly don't know how to test if the lights in the house are on. very professional as always.

i have never seen a mach5 sub n real life but all reviews i have seen have said build quality is incredible regardless of price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Actually Showrides, you *are* putting them down. Just like you put other company's products down. It is unprofessional, but I can tell you are so used to doing it, you don't even know you are. Quite funny actually.

Now, enough of your condescending attitude, run along.

For those who are still reading this thread, and I doubt many are... ... here are some hard facts for you to go over. Enjoy.

Price of MAW-15 from SSA (that's a 15" sub btw) - ~$107USD shipped each
Price of MJ-18 from SSA - ~106USD shipped each
Price of MAW-15 from Mach 5 - $79.33CAD each plus shipping
Price of MJ-18 from Mach 5 - $78.44CAD each plus shipping

Link to 2xMJ-18's 146.x SPL:
http://www.canadiancaraudio.com/online/mach-5-audio/26215-nice-see-you-here-mark .html

Link to (unbiased) review of MAW-15:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7037

Link to (unbiased) review of MAW-10's:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12603

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the budget SPL driver I'm working on. Loyd was mighty inpressed with this:
http://www.canadiancaraudio.com/online/mach-5-audio/25863-mach-5-spl-prototype.h tml

Best regards,
Mark

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 239
Ben, I am not going to get into this fight, but I did have the same reservations about the costs of Mach5 as you do. The more I learned from Mark and once I had tested the products myself, my thoughts changed drastically. I have to say that not one and I mean not one customer has ever complained about quality of sound or qulaity of build. Not one. Most if not all have raved about the build quality and how surpised how much sub they got for the money.

The costs that are cut on Mach5 is on show and not go. You lose the logo, and the gasket and the mangnet boot on the MJ-18 and it saves a good amount on the cost. Not one of those effect performance of the sub. The MJ could easily be sold for $150+, and would have no trouble selling. Believe me I have tried to get Mark to raise the price because SSA is not making millions on the Mach5 products, but Mark holds strong on his low price because his customers love it. Especially home audio people who are buying 4 or 8 at a time. I know how good the subs are and believe in them and the company behind it.

The MJ line and the MAW line were not designed for 1500+ watt per sub installs. Never intended to never claimed to. They were built with SQ in mind and in the right install can get loud. They are not SPL drivers by any means. Though there is a very mean SPL driver on the horizion that will do very well in the lanes.

The issue with the car audio market is that many of the customers are young kids who buy on looks and hype alone. (read Audiobahn)

Anyway in the end, Ben, if the prices on Mach5 were higher I am sure you would consider them for your shop. They are a humble line that suprises people. There was a few people that have replaced their IDQ's with MAW's and never looked back. I think that says a great deal.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 641
Fair enough review Denim. And honestly a more written out version of my thoughts. I think Mach5 has a nice place in the budget market, but I just don't like it when he goes around saying they will outperform subs that are a fraction of the price. Because that without sufficient evidence isn't true.

I have plenty of boxes, plenty of amps, plenty of cars, and would be more than happy to run some tests though. I am sure his subs will do great for $100 drivers, but I still highly doubt they are going to be competing with 1000-1500rms subs like you said. And there are even other SQ subs for around the same price, that I am sure would perform better. I don't have a problem with him saying his subs are good at that price point, but so are many others.

Good resonse though denim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Aw, man, you just don't quit do you?

"I think Mach5 has a nice place in the budget market, but I just don't like it when he goes around saying they will outperform subs that are a fraction of the price. Because that without sufficient evidence isn't true."

Wasn't it you who said the following:

"For that same price you could pick up an old alpha from Rd Audio that will hit harder and you don't need to use 8 cubes or whatever to support 2 18's. "

So, please, show me the 'sufficient evidence' you have to prove this?...

This unmoderated forum is turning out great. Not only can I post relevant information about my products, but I can also solicit folks here and them there are better products that can be had for cheaper.

Life is grand...

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 246
With the new IXL18 and the upcomming SPL driver, Mach5 won't have the budget stigma anymore. The cost of the SPL prototype I am testing is going to be excellent for the customers, but cost much more to build then the MJ or the MAW due to it being an SPL design. The IXL is a big box sub with good excursion and potential output. It also costs more then the MJ and the MAW, but it is designed with high output in mind with the great SQ the MJ makes now.

I never said the MJ can compete with 1000+ watt drivers, but I know people are putting 1000+ watts to some of them in car installs. I have to double check on home audio installs before I comment on levels of power they are running.

Ben, I think if you picked one up you would be suprised by the performance for the money. I love the MJ-18 on a big A/B amp, sealed in 3.0-3.5 cubes.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 644
"So, please, show me the 'sufficient evidence' you have to prove this?."

You said 2 18's hit 146 db's.

Right now the old Alphas are on sale for $250 each shipped.

We have hit 149 db's already with the old alpha.

What more evidence do you need? Would you like to go visit snoopdan and see his setup?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
snoopdan will wh0re for whomever gives him freestuff, lol. which is cool, i've no problem with that, but that also makes him somewhat biased. not doubting his knowledge either, but it wasn't all that long ago he was talking up another brand.

glad to see we moved away from the "mine is bigger, so it has to be better" to actually wanting them compared. remember, the first strokers looked like junk too, lol.

tell ya what....denim send me a maw12, ben send me the comparable rD sub. i have a termlab, many, many boxes and up too 2500wrms if needed. send d2 though, all my amps are one ohm stable. i'll post a completely unbiased review. i'm sure denim will atest to that. i'll tell it like it is, even if that means trashing a favorite.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 646
I deff. would be up for that^^^

What is your handle on other forums? I just want to know your qualifications before agreeing to anything. For all I know you could be the owner of Mach5 lol.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 647
"snoopdan will wh0re for whomever gives him freestuff, lol. which is cool, i've no problem with that, but that also makes him somewhat biased. not doubting his knowledge either, but it wasn't all that long ago he was talking up another brand."

And what does that have to do with TL scores?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
"You said 2 18's hit 146 db's.

Right now the old Alphas are on sale for $250 each shipped.

We have hit 149 db's already with the old alpha."

Ah, ok, so to "hit harder" means to "go louder" correct? I was always under the impression that to "hit harder" was to get more authority in the bass. Forgive me for not fully understanding the limbo here.

My statements still stand. Nowhere can you get an 18" driver that will deliver the same quality of sound for the price of the Mach 5. It has taken on drivers twice its price range and won in listening tests.

I will let the links I posted earlier speak for themselves. If you want more reference links I will be happy to post them.

Showrides, you and your partner are trolls. I attempted to show you (by example) of how it is you look to others when you flaunt your wares on forums. It is petty and unprofessional. I think you saw it, but you simply don't understand, because all you give a crap about is the money.

I think I am thru here. I have made my point. It is up to you to see the light...

Best,
Mark

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2645
"tell ya what....denim send me a maw12, ben send me the comparable rD sub. i have a termlab, many, many boxes and up too 2500wrms if needed. send d2 though, all my amps are one ohm stable. i'll post a completely unbiased review. i'm sure denim will atest to that. i'll tell it like it is, even if that means trashing a favorite.

Yea,just send me something,anything for FREE and I'll test it too.:-)

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 648
"Showrides, you and your partner are trolls. I attempted to show you (by example) of how it is you look to others when you flaunt your wares on forums. It is petty and unprofessional. I think you saw it, but you simply don't understand, because all you give a crap about is the money."

AKA, I don't want to do a direct test by a third party because I am scared of the results.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 649
HAHA Rob.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2646
"Showrides, you and your partner are trolls. I attempted to show you (by example) of how it is you look to others when you flaunt your wares on forums. It is petty and unprofessional. I think you saw it, but you simply don't understand, because all you give a crap about is the money."-You look great and very professional by name calling,notes taken(business ethics).

"I think I am thru here. I have made my point. It is up to you to see the light... "

Alright cya later,guess we won't be seeing you on this thread any longer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
i won't be keeping either sub. i'll send them back. so i won't be getting anything free. i'll throw them in various boxes, throw them at the term lab, have several different ears listen and post the results, simple as that. some ears trained, some not.

ben, as to my comment about snoop. reread it, it's pretty self-explainatory. and i'm more then willing to throw both subs at a term lab, and then send them back. he is similiar to you folks in that he backs whatever is free at the moment. i'm not doubting his ability to get loud, he's done it with several different subs, and he backs whatever sub he's using at the moment.

why be scared of the results? i don't own mach5. subs i currently own..

15" kicker cvx
12" eclipse titaniums (blown, awaiting recones)
12" soundsplinter rl-p
8" soundsplinter rl-i
12" lightning audio x2
12" RF punch power (blown, have no idea what i'm going to do with it)
8" clarion (aka re re)
8" funky pup (blown, lol.)

look for mrray13 at ca.com, carstereo.com, cso, ssa, and god know's what other forums. i'll give your product a fair shake. hell, i'll throw the lightning in there, as well as the rl-p. have a mini great 12 challange. i'll use two basic boxes, one 1.25ft^3 sealed, one will be ~1.5 ported @ 38hz(i'll have to measure and be sure of these specs, lol. it's our shop prefab), and i'll build one to recommended specs. testing in my silverado with 1100wrms from a big belle, and if more power is needed, 2500wrms from an orion 2500d.

whatcha say? mach5 doesn't even need to show up. if the rD is that good, i'll say it.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
"You look great and very professional by name calling,notes taken(business ethics). "

I call 'em like I see 'em. Besides, I thought this forum was an 'anything goes' type of place. No skin off my azz, I will keep selling and people will keep benefiting from getting products that are worth more than what they paid.

Ok, I'm outta here................ NOW!

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 650
Come on MARK!!! Why not let the products speak for themselves? Kent has some good credentials and will give you a 100% unbiased review of your product. If you really have a solid product you have NOTHING to lose!

Kent, even if Mark won't go through with things, I would be willing to send you some subs for testing. RD has a lot of nice drivers, and I need someone to test each one and share the results with people. So I will probably be getting in touch with you in the near future, even if Mark doesn't want to compare subs.

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 252
Kent, SSA only has the 15" MAW's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
like i said ben, i've got other 12" subs around. i'll be here, whenever. , just pm me whenever. i've got a few 12" subs lying around to play with.

denim, that sucks. maybe mark can throw one my way for a bit?

it'll be interesting to see what all the hype is about, and if it's deserved.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us