HEY PAUL

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 984
hey man do u have aim? ur the only dude on here that i know that knows about home audio, hit me up kinglbj7385 on aim, cuz im lookin to throw a little home theater setup together with my arsenal and want to know some how to se it up, since u have a car audio sub in ur home theater, thanks man

Silver Member
Username: Mike11202

DE US

Post Number: 457
no he doesnt

Silver Member
Username: Mike11202

DE US

Post Number: 458

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6205
Sorry. I hate aim. I'm convinced it's a product of the devil. I've installed it 3 times and it hijacked my pc everytime. Had to restore with crossed fingers to get it back. There is a home audio section on Ecoustics for those who don't know.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/1.html

Although you'll probably get curled lips over there about car subs. They're so touchy.
They are convinced a car audio driver is purely spl and doesn't have the sq a HT sub requires. I've read it many times. It's also the main reason I play here. Everyone is open minded and isn't afraid of taking a chance on something.

It's probably due to the many threads they get over there asking how to power their car subs at home using car amps! I kinda understand.

Silver Member

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 988
lol yea i posted over there a while ago but didnt get any response lol, but can u help me, all i have is a tv and a sub, how can i get my sub hooked up in a home theater system as cheaply as possible, its an aa arsenal ( predecossor (sp?) to the ava) lol so i think it will do well as a home theater sub, so basically whats the cheapest way to go about this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6206
It's simple really. You build either a powered or passive system, depending on the way you choose to power the sub. Passive systems are similair to the stereo speakers you have in a home stereo, no amp built in. Powered subs have an amp (plate amp) built directly into the enclosure.

Easiest? I would say passive sealed as this will be the simplest box to build. You need to purchase a dedicated sub amp that takes the sub out signal from your receiver and filters it using its built in crossover controls b4 sending it to the sub. If you're lucky your tv might have a sub pre out in the back. If not you'll have to purchase a receiver. Not too painful, but when coupled with a sub amp can run you in the hundreds, easy.

You've seen my design. It certainly wasn't the cheapest or easiest design but much more efficient. Plus it just looks cool. My HT already has a dedicated receiver for my surround so all I needed was a plate amp capable of 1000w rms. Dayton had one for me.

Your next step is to determine the $$ you're willing to shell out. Mine is just a box, sub, plate amp and that set me back a grand. The guys over in home audio would slam me for my choices but it's my $$ and can they say their HT subs knock pictures off the wall 15' away? Mind you their idea of top end HT subs are in the $2500-$10,000 range. Suddenly my $1000 sub pats itself on the back!

Silver Member

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 992
lol well i want the cheapest possible lol that would be worth it. i have a sealed box made that i had in my car wouyld that work? so could u like tell me straight up with links like decent setup for like 200 bucks or so. or is that possible? basically i was thinkin of juss gettin one of those surrond sound setups from best buy for like 40 bucks and hookin my sub up to it. and how much would an amp cost like that, or doesnt it work that way lol

Silver Member

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 993
didnt bump

Gold Member

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1004
WTF why isnt this d@mn thread bumping lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 6216
Start with the rms wattage of the sub. I got my plate amp from partsexpress.

Depending on the wattage needed, using the sealed box with an external amp can cost ya many pennies. How many watts are you looking for?

$200 isn't much, especially considering you don't have a receiver. That alone can run you hundreds. Amp as well. That's a draw back with car subs. They require higher power, generally, to reach full potential which demands an expensive amp. HT plate amps go as little as 25w at only $40. There aren't too many ppl looking for 1000w at home. Hence the reason home audiophiles will tag you as crazy for it. I guess I'm crazy.

Gold Member

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1005
lol i dunno, if you could just throw a lil somethin together that is a full ht system, like wat do i HAVE to have to run it, using cheap stuff(quality) but cheap lol

Bronze Member
Username: Mesodumm

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 30
Glad you guy's are talking about this I always wondered about doing it. I have 2 15" jl 1000w they are pretty good subs, and can get it to 8ohm like most surrounds sound amps. Let me know what you think about those if they would be okay! Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2398
I too felt your pain with AIM just the other day lol.Their file kept crashing my PC when it would begin to Dl and I thought my computer was the problem but I dL'ed an older version and it worked instantly.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12576
oh so you will be on aim rob? i log on to see if you are on and see that you weren't so i logged off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us