JL Audio AMP - No Bass?

Username: Ryanericw

Post Number: 1
My system was working perfectly today, I have:

2 x 12" Alpine Type S Subs
JL Audio e2150 AMP
Another 4 channel alpine amp.
Alpine Head unit.

Now today, while driving, I got a check engine light, so I stopped in auto zone....but they couldn't pull codes, it wasn't powering the checker. So, I go to turn on my radio later around 11pm after dropping off my gf, and my system works, but my subs are not outputting any power.
I took a multimeter to see if at least power was going through, yes, there was, but only have as much as my other amp (which I'm not sure if normal). The amp was turned on, and I even tried messing with the settings, even tried replacing the output wire to one of the subs it-self. Nothing.
Unplugged my battery, hooked it up, no check engine light anymore....and still no subs....
I really hope nothing is wrong, I don't smell any burning or any distortion, just there is no bass....so I'm really worried here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

~Ryan

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1156
The system works meaning you've got vocals and no bass? Also, the sub amp turns on in protection mode or normal mode?

Post Number: 2
Yes, I get vocals out of all 4 channels, both amps turn on, and it's at a constant normal mode.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1162
Don't forget to check the RCAs - if they're unplugged, you get no sound. If that's fine, next step is to check your subs' voice coils for resistance with your DMM.

Post Number: 3
I went to an audio shop today, bought a new amp for my subs, no bass.
I plugged in my rcas for my 4 channel vocal amp, I got faint bass. I tried replacing RCAS, everything. So I'm guessing it's my bass output on my receiver.... :-\....

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1164
The sub-out? Hmm never dealt with that one before, but buying a new amp was not the best decision though.

Post Number: 4
I made sure they'd give me a refund, and they let me install it in their shop. It was not the cause, and I got my refund. I found out today it was my ground wire, it was badly corroded.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1178
haha nice...all good now?

Post Number: 5
yeah, and my pride has def taken a shot haha.
I couldn't believe it was that....I thought it might be that at first....but it looked alright until we uncrimped it, it was corroded badly :S.
Well, ya live n learn I suppose.

Thanks haha.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us