I need a 1200 @ 1 ohm amp!!

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 318
anybody sellin one that i coudl pick up for less then $240??? i'ts for 2 kicker cvr 15's

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 262
get u a hifonics 1206d off ebay for that price new

Silver Member

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 319
well i don't have an upgraded electrical system at all, and i heard good ol hifonics draw a lot of current and are overrated by about 20%, i'm really just lookin for a used one on here basically which i figure if it's 1200 watts at 1 ohm, i have a 130amp alternator, i figure i'll get the 1000 i need out of it

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 266
They are overrated by 20% but they dont draw alot current they're class d look up on hifionicsusa.com on the bxi series amps. U can get the 1606d for 220+34.50 shipped on ebay. I don't undersand why would u want a used 1 than a new one

Silver Member

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 267
They are overrated by 20% but they dont draw alot current they're class d look up on hifionicsusa.com on the bxi series amps. U can get the 1606d for 220+34.50 shipped on ebay. I don't undersand why would u want a used 1 than a new one

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1571
Kicker kx1200.1 would be perfect. A little over your budget but worth it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KICKER-KX1200-1-ZX1500-1-CAR-AUDIO-SUB-AMP-AMPLIF IER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38638QQihZ004QQitemZ140107788705QQrdZ1QQsspagenam eZWDVW

item # 140107788705

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 927
yeah, go with the hifonics if you absolutely cannot afford that kicker. btw you don't need 1200W, 1000 or even 900 would do just fine for the pair. It takes less than 500W to get the CVR15 to full excursion.

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 461
if it only takes 500 for full excursion then why would u want more power? does it still get louder even knwoing its at ful excursion with more power?

Silver Member

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 320
well according to big mr mark potts (who i'm buyin em off of), he said they coudl most likely easily handle 1500 watts, i'm not goign t give it to them becaus of my electrical system situation, but like i said since my electrical isn't up to date to much i'm not going to be getting exact rating from amps, most likely like 85%, i'm reallly looking int the kicker, anyone have any problems with refurbished items>?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 928
A lot of people claim that factory refurbished items are almost as good as new ones, never bought any though. Once the woofer's reached full excursion, I don't think any extra power is easy. My friend has the CVR12 (400W rms) and is giving them just over 300W each - full excursion baby. And it's a lot easier on the stock charging system - no lights dimming.

You can also try just getting 2 brand new of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-07-KICKER-ZX400-1-400-WATT-MONO-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitem Z180106758749QQihZ008QQcategoryZ64570QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You're looking at $350 shipped, brand new, probably about 450W rms each.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 606
A woofer can reach full excursion off of its rated RMS, even less. Adding more power makes it move faster, making a bigger impact to the air in the box, therefor making it louder.

There will probably be ~2.5dB difference from 1500watts to 800watts. It will be noticeable, but it will be a lot cheaper to just go with 800 watts. 2 ZX400.1s would be very nice.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4418
well... there's always a nice choice for that amount of power at 1 ohm.

Check soundstream pca 1400.1d or PA a1800db.

Also check lanzar optidrive line or if you're willing to try lanzar vibe 1200d/1800d, which put 1262w rms at 1 ohm 14V.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1262
"Adding more power makes it move faster, making a bigger impact to the air in the box, therefor making it louder."

No, that's incorrect.

If a speaker gets noticably louder beyond rated power it can only be due to a further increase in xmax, which also increases heat in the voice coil, and therefore the likelyhood of damaging the speaker.

Speakers are given RMS power ratings for a reason.

Bronze Member
Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 15
Her's a link for you:
http://www.zedaudio.com/products.html
Check out the Minilith, try try one of those at 600w@1 ohm for 200 bucks, if you decide you want more power then you can easily add another to bridge them and get 1200 watts. Keep in mind that these are underated amps too. The quality of these amps is superior to any of those mentioned above. I'm willing to bet you will be satisfied with just one of them.

These amps are produced by the same guy that brought us the Lanzar Optidrive, old school Hifonics (when they were good), the indestructable Crunch amps and many others well known for quality and sound. Steve Mantz is the designer/builder of the old school amps that made a reputation second to none. He is also the owner of Zed Audio. I can't recomend them enough, if you get one you won't be sorry.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 153
Sounsolutionsaudio.com has ZEDAudio.

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 256
roughly $308.50 for that kx1200.1 amp on ebay. Is that an inline fuse in the picture that is included? Is it recommend that I should swap out my current inline to switch with that one? I have 4 AWG Powerwire.

Username: Sixdubr

Racine, WI

Post Number: 1
I am thinking of selling my Viper D1200.1...Very solid and doesnt even heat up!

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 989
John, kx1200.1 doesn't have an internal fuse like you're used to seeing so, it comes with an inline fuse that you must connect VERY close to the amp in ADDITION TO the inline fuse that's close to your battery.

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 302
so splice this into my power wire, say 8" from the end of it?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 991
8" would be fine, but the closer the better.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2678
Oleg, you do not put a fuse close to the amp, lol. It comes with a 150A card fuse you put no more than 1ft from the battery and that is it. There is absolutely no need for duel fuses. BTW the KX 1200.1 is superior to any of the above mentioned amps and the extra power would allow for better "control" not just excursion which in turn will allow it to get louder, cleaner...Polo. :-O

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1074
Polo, I research the stuff before answering questions.

Please do the same before trying to prove me wrong:

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2006/2006%20ZX1000%201500% 202500-1%20b01%20WEB.pdf

You'll see the wiring diagram as well as textual description of the wiring on page 2 of the manual.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1904
I have to agree with Polo here, I never fuse the wire at the amp, just at the battery.

I looked at that manual, and I really don't know why kicker recommends that.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1078
The amp doesn't have an internal fuse. I have to disagree with both of you here and stick with the manual, especially since the amp is not fused internally. Proper protection is not reduntant.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1080
Here it is, no internal fuse:

Upload

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2680
"Proper protection is not reduntant."

But dual fusing is just stupid! The only time it would help if you used a larger fuse than needed at the battery. Kicker supplied a 150A fuse with its amp, if you wanted to add a fuse at the amp it would need to be of the same size, 150A. Now really think about it, electrons flow at the speed of light, you really think the fuse at the amp is going to blow first, even if it did, would you see it? If you installed the supplied 150A fuse at the battery, the whole power supply line all the way from the battery to the amp is fused, really all is protected, lol. BTW I have 4 Kicker sx1250's and each of its manuals says nothing about running two fuses.. LMFAO...:-O.. Polo.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1910
^^^^ Agreed.

I've installed plenty of amplifiers without internal fuses......

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1082
First of all, electrons don't actually flow and I am citing one of my college professors on this. I think it's absolutely idiotic that you guys are trying to make me look stupid even though I specifically read the manual and manufacturer recommends it.

I understand if I was saying something that's incorrect, but I'm not!
It's like someone's going around checking up on me and sh!t like I was 10. I'm a grown man and you guys need to check your own kids' sh!t, not mine.

I'll send an email to kicker about this BS just for clarification..I'll post the result.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1912
But what would be the purpose of the fuse at the amp? The function of a fuse is to break the connection to the power source in case of a short to ground. The battery is a power source, the amplifier is not.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1083
I honestly don't have a clear answer for you, but to me it just looks like one protects the wire and the other protects the amp. I did email kicker, I'll post their response when I have it.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2682
Oleg your 24, I am 35, you are still a kid. If in fact it was in the manual, common sense should have taken over so don't get upset at us if ours did first! Like I said before, the only way you would need secondary fusing is if the fuse (supplied) at the battery was a greater capacity than what the amplifier would be drawing, which it isn't. I don't care what Kicker has to say, like other techs including Treo's they aren't all that bright! Polo..

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1084
The inline close to the battery probably is bigger - running 1/0 wire you can use a 325A fuse, which is bigger than 150A. We can just leave it at that as I'm not wrong and maybe neither are you, so we'll have to be content with an impass. Just because you're 35, doesn't make 24 yr old a kid. Just like if your grandma being 80 doesn't make you a kid, so let's put all that sh!t aside. Kids also don't have master's degrees last I checked.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2683
Dude your a duche bag, really! Don't quote sh!t to me I know my sh!t and no there isn't a 325A fuse supplied with the amp it is a 150A. Not to mention the link you posted above is for a ZX and not a KX, here is the KX.. http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/KXAMPLIFIERTechBrief2.pdf

Next time you research do it right, or STFU..Polo..

Upload

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1085
I bet you really look like that. I SAID for 1/0 wire you use 325A fuse and 150A for the amp...WTF don't you understand? Sh!t don't matter what amp it is...that one doesn't have the fuse either, just like the fulcing picture I posted. I'll quote sh!t to you all I want and there ain't sh!t you'll do about. I'm done with this thread. John, use both fuses. I'm out.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2686
Upload

Silver Member

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 342
a 325 amp fuse is enourmous

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2692
"a 325 amp fuse is enourmous"

I run 300's and they are the same size as 150's. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 453
ya, i run a 300 for my 1/0 guage... same physical size as polo said

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1918
All arguments aside, I actually am interested to know why the Kicker manual recommends fusing the power wire twice......

Silver Member

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 343
i know they are the same 'size' but for a kicker 1200, do you really need a 325 fuse even for 0/1 gauge wiring??

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2696
I think there are some errors within there text. I think as a precaution they just are fusing everything, lol. If you look in the text they also say that there should also be at least one extra battery within 50" of the amp and a fuse 18" from there. If there are great spans of wire running along the car then fuse it. If a wire is already fused with the proper rated fuse thent here is no reason to fuse and already fused wire. Now if you were running a strapped pair of amps then you would want a 300A at battery and then when splitting off a dist block use two separate 150's for each amp. I have even seen people running fuses from the span of wire from the alt to the battery, epsecially if running 1/0ga but I don't... Polo. :-)

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1092
I didn't receive a response from them yet, hopefully they'll respond. Marcus, 325A fuse is needed for 1/0awg wire b/c that's how much current can pass through it without damaging the wire. You can use smaller, but that just means it'll blow with less current.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2699
That is also length dependant... 325A is not absolute..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us