Where to?

Silver Member
Username: Smoke05

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 335
well i ordered the zx1000.1 and i was wondering were to insalled in the trunk. on the back of the seats in a side of the trunk? any suggestions, BTW the car is an Altima 2005

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 866
probably too long for the back of the seats, try the top of the box

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2448
I'm pretty familiar with the altima trunk. I would do it on the seats having it going vertical. I choose seats so that you don't have to run any wires further.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

151.9db Dail... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2266
I would do the seats to if it was a option,if its strapped to the box and it has a high SPL output you have a good chance that the amps guts are rattling like crazy and can eventually loosen things up. And Berny saying the seats for less wire... also a good idea, shorter wire can pass more amps then the same wire sized wire but of longer length, also less resistance on your power system so charging is quicker... not noticable but true.. also the more wire... the better chance of loosing volts at the opposite side of the wire(in trunk) Really if your not into comps, you shouldnt really need to worry about most of that tho... since your not looking for metered numbers..

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

151.9db Dail... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2267
since your not looking for metered numbers..

where the .1V or .2V makes the difference in numbers.... not noticable by ear..IMO

Silver Member

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 340
^thanks to all of you, i will put it on the back seat

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1487
Don't mount amplifiers to a sub box.......

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 884
Hmmmm my amp's over 2ft long and it's too big for the seats...where else would it go??

Silver Member

Tucson, Arizona U.S.

Post Number: 341
^ i think that when the amp is that long you dont have any options other than install it on the trunk floor, or maybe under the back seat if possible.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1495
Amp rack.....

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1496
Some info from bcae1.com:

Amplifier mounting:
DO NOT mount an amplifier on your subwoofer box. I know that there has been a great deal of discussion over mounting an amplifier to an enclosure and many people do it all of the time with no problems but those people probably build good enclosures from 3/4" (or thicker) MDF with extensive bracing. Most people (especially young impatient people) are too lazy to do that and build unbraced enclosures from 5/8 MDF. These enclosures will flex considerably more than a proper enclosure and will likely cause amplifier failure if the amp is mounted to the enclosure.

REASON:
When the woofer(s) moves in or out, the box flexes and therefore causes the sides of the box to vibrate. This vibration is transferred to the amplifier mounted to the box. All of the electrical components in the amplifier have mass. Inertia (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest) tells them to stay at rest, the box vibration is trying to make them move. The energy from the box's vibration is transferred to the components through the electrical leads which are soldered into the circuit board. All of this will cause the components to break loose and therefore cause the amplifier to fail prematurely. Basically, the amplifier will commit suicide! :-) I'm not telling you this because someone told me it was bad. I've been repairing amplifiers since ~1985. Virtually every amplifier that's come into my shop with parts rattling around inside them have been mounted on the speaker box. It causes the legs of the semiconductors to break (which causes amplifier failure). It causes the capacitors to break off of the board (which can cause catastrophic amplifier failure). It causes solder joints to break on the semiconductors mounted to the heat sink. It causes transformer windings to grind into one another (which causes lots of smoke to pour out of your amplifier). People who repeatedly tell others to mount their amps on the speaker box because they've never had a problem remind me of people who drink and drive and say there's nothing wrong with it because they've never crashed their vehicle. Eventually, in both cases, problems will arise.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 885
ok gotcha, my box is coated with some armor sh!t, so that should be ok. thx for the article
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us