Makin a custom tube enclosure!!

Bronze Member
Username: Kujo

Post Number: 59
Soo.. I had a crazy idea...

Home Depot has these cardboard tube moldings for concrete that are like 10" in diameter by 48". I thought about taking one of those and making a sort of bazooka like enclosure. I'd cut it to the length I need to give me my airspace, create an MDF baffel for the sub to mount on to, use a smaller tube to form the port. Then fiber glass everything. I bought my materials already, and now I just need to wait to get a sub to start buiding. What do you all think of this idea?

Way back when, I used to have an old bazooka that I put a type R in.. it sounded 4times better than the stock speaker soo I figured maybe I can utilize the same concept as bazooka to get a compact enclosure yet still stay ported for my new sub.

Any comments/ suggestions are more than welcome! This will be my first fiberglass project so if it works hells ya, if not then at least its nothin to major. My only concern I have is with the port... I duno exactly how I'ma calculate a semicircle port... any ideas for that would be awesome too! But most of all, wish me luck guys! I will have pics posted once I start

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5003
Here you go....

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=ventcalculator

I had that idea as well but fiberglass isnt cheap and you could use the mdf rings to strengthen it....for strength so far I like all mdf rings to make the tube and skip the quick crete tubes it would make one solid tubed box

Gold Member

Post Number: 5004
type in your port size in the correct locations on linearteam and your set with port tuning

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Hey thanks! That should really help out. If my idea works out nice, then I want to build a second and do a dual setup. I'd fiberglass them both together with an amp rack in the middle, and maybe angle it all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5015
your welcome I hope it comes out well for you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
So if the tube turns out great, later on I might make a second for another sub, and fiberglass them to a center rack for my amp. It might look something like this-

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 2288
ha ha, its the engines off the Starship Enterprise...NCC1701

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11948
thats nice

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Haha yeah it does huh? Lol. Its just a rough idea tho... I want it to be alot more curvey and sleeeek lookin, but I couldnt realy get the exact look down on the sketch.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 654
Tube enclosures suck.

2 of them, in a Rex, only got us 6th in the world last year.

What to use? Water pipe. Cheaper than mdf rings.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
I'll be using fiberglass and the concrete form tubes for the shape. That should be perdy damn strong and the price wasnt too bad. The materials cost about as much as it does to make a ported box outa MDF. It ran me about 50bucks. If it the box turns out great and sounds great, then I will have a nice compact ported enclosure, but if it doesnt work out for what Im lookin for, then I will probably just put a cheaper sub in there, and sell it to someone whos lookin for a little extra bump in their system.

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 758
Andy check this out... might give you some ideas:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_6_3/diy-11-sonotube-subwoofer-september-99 .html

And to those of you doubting Sonotube -- don't. We built one years ago with an older RE 12" driver, forget now what model, but the thing kicked like a mule. The stuff is built to withstand the force of expanding concrete, so they are extremely strong flex-wise.

One other little tip, if you can, cut the sealed off end at an angle. Since the tube is already round, this will eliminate all standing waves and the results are amazing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Do you have any ideas on how I can calculate the port for my tube? I want it to be sorta a semi circle port...but I'm haveing trouble figuring out how long it should be

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11069
but wont those cardboard tubes be sorta porous & not completely airtight ?

this is the reason ppl used large pvc pipes long ago when bazookas were the style , when designed & built good they used to sound better than stuff twice its size ........

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 658
Possible scenario.......

Drop a 70LB 12" Pro Comp, and a 4kw @ .35, in the car in a cardboard tube.

Hit the burp button.

Go to hospital to have pieces of your enclosure removed from whatever part of you was exposed.

I use water pipe specifically because it is designed to handle extreme amounts of pressure, for extended periods of time.

Septic wont work, walls to thin, not designed for any amount of pressure really as it is generally used in a gravity fashion. There is a thicker wall model of septic that is used for forced mains, but is right around the price of the stock water pipe. I lay pipe for the union, i would know.

A 300 dollar stick will do four tubes, or more.

Personally? Id talk to a local pipe laying co about two ends with bell on that you could buy for dirt instead of them throwing them away. The ends with bell are really what you want.

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 659
I fear that an enclosure with walls too thin would have issues related more to sound/cancellation/resonance, ...more than breakage.

What do i know....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
The tube will basically just give me my shape... the rest will be up to the fiberglass for strength. Also I might paint resin on the inside of the tube, maybe that will help to seal it tooo.

Bronze Member
Username: Pete_the_pup

Gaffney, Sc Usa

Post Number: 24
I built and have and still use a cardboard sub. It's 26"long 10-3/4" dia. tuned to 39hz. loaded with P/A FUBR-10. w/ Orion HCCA-d2400. It has not exploded yet, and I had to glue my mirror in place and put extra support under the CD player to keep it from skipping when the sub hits. It works for me!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
do you have any pic of it??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us