Speaker placement and direction

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2316
So all you guys know that I have two comp setups per door. How important is the direction that they face? I heard to face them upward towards the sunroof or the lighting on your headliner. Does this go the same way with tweeters?

Also, since I have two components per door. Can I have my two midrange drivers down below @ stock location, with 1 tweeter, and mount the other tweet up higher. Probaly around the a pillar. This is going to be a active setup btw. Right now with the passive setup, the components don't get loud enough so I wanted to go with a active setup hoping this will resolve my problem, plus I want to fine tune it better.

Components are CDT HD-62/M6

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11732
oh boy.
speaker positioning will make or break your system. period.
sound waves are directional. more so as you get into midrange, and especially so with tweeters.
There is no perfect one-answer-for-all on speaker positioning, so you'll need to do it by ear. listen to them, move the angle a bit, listen again.. till the imaging is what you want.
Ideally you want all the speakers to share an equal path-length, meaning the distance the sound travels from cone to ear. To do this, the easiest way is to keep all the speakers as close together as possible. tweeters next to mids.
I like using the kick panel area to mount both the mids and tweeters, since it keeps everything close together, and usually avoids most obstacles in doing so. Makes for good imaging.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2317
I was reading CDT's website and thats how I came up with the "angle towards the sunroof area." I knew there wasn't a "perfect answer" but some type of feedback would be great enough. Thanks GlassWolf, your information is great as always =).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us