Subwoofer wiring question....noob question

Silver Member
Username: Pike110

12w6v2s, Indianapolis...

Post Number: 232
If I wire 2 subs to a 2 channel amp that is 2ohm stable.. I'm wiring them parallel to the mono channel of the amp. Is the mono channel always 4 ohm? So, if I wire them to 1ohm or 2ohm and hook them up to the mono channel will this not work? Sorry, for the noob question. I guess what i'm asking is if you use a 2 channel amp for mono use do the subs always have to have a 4ohm load?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7394
that depends on the amp, if the amp is 2 ohm stereo stable then it is 4 ohm mono stable. my 2 chan amp is 1/2 ohm stereo stable and 1 ohm mono stable so it all depends on teh amp.

Silver Member

12w6v2s, Indianapolis...

Post Number: 233
Its only 2ohm stereo stable. So, I guess I have to wire them to 4ohm. What will happen if I wire them to 2ohm? Would the amp just go into protection or trip the fuses?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7396
it could do both of those, or just run really hot, or run perfectly fine, what amp is it?

Silver Member

12w6v2s, Indianapolis...

Post Number: 234
old piece of junk that I found in my closet, bought it at a flea market about 6 years ago. It says "1000" watts on it.. I'm sure its more like 3 or 4 watts.lol. I just bought a third commuter car that I am going to throw a couple of old subs in and try to run this amp. I appreciate your help! Thank you very much!

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7398
no problem man, good luck:-) does it say a name brand on it anywhere or just 1000 watts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us