Newbie amp needed

Username: Protocol_droid

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
Setup: It's a 1999 dodge ram quad. I've got 2-12" MA audio subs (300 rms not pk., 4ohm dual voice )in a custom box underneath the rear seat ready to go. Please don't flame me for the subs. I plan on buying some MB quart dse-216(50-120w rms) components for the front and some coax's for the rear. Here's my question...I'd like to use just one 4 channel to power the front two components and the 2 subs, while the rear coax's off of my head unit. What's a good <200.00 amp to achieve this? Or perhaps any other ideas of a better way of doing it would be good. Also, I've got an old blaupunkt mpa400us (2X200 2ohm) laying around also if that helps. I listen to house, classical, jazz, some hip hop.

BTW, this site is great, I feel I can't read enough to figure this out on my own quickly enough. Thanks.

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 2
Whoops, the subs are single voice, not dual.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-Inch-MA-Audio-600-Watt-DVC-Sub-Car-12-Subwoofe r-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38647QQihZ001QQitemZ110050942152QQrdZ1
also, I had to go with subs that were less than 6.5" depth so I couldn't find much out there.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1650
well then you need an amp that does 600rms @2ohms.
look for a mono amp for the subs and a 2 channel for the front

are you willing to use ebay and buy used?

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the reply. So since I"ve got an old 2 chann el blaupunkt( first post), would you suggest using that for the front components with the rear coax's off of the head unit and then a mono amp for the subs? Am I reading you correct? Thanks for the speedy reply.

I was thinking in terms of not having two amps and just running one, however if you feel that running one is not the best method just confirm. Thanks.

2nd question. Do you think running this setup would require the need for a HO alternator? Thanks.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1656
if you already have that amp id say use it. its not exactly a quality amp but it should do for now.

most people run separate amps for the subs because 1.its easier and 2. sub amps that are class D are more efficant and easier on your alt.

you should not need an HO alt. if you are running less then 800rms or even 1000 depending on your car. its a truck so it probly has a decent size alt. anyway.

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the explanation. One last question since I've never really looked at mono amps. If I need 300W RMS X2 at 2ohm, how do you decipher rms ratings when most mono's on ebay list as XXX RMS X1 @ X Ohm. What would I do to figure out X2, just cut the RMS power in half to get two? Sorry for the super newb questions. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1659
ok you can wire multiple subs to a mono amp.

they are rated say 600rms@2ohm so if you wire two subs to 2ohm they will each see 300rms. you divide the power the amp is putting out at the ohm load you have your subs wired to by the number of subs.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1661
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193616

that would be a great amp for you

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 5
THanks. Looks like I can pick one up on ebay for 185.00 shipped brand new. I will however look to see if there's anything else that is about the same too. I"ll post back.

You've been a great help!! Thanks for the speedy replies.

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 6
Alpine MRD-M605 v12
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-MRD-M605-v12-mono-amp-600-watts-rms_W0QQitemZ19004809 3221QQihZ009QQcategoryZ79825QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or
THe Kicker KX600 per your other posting
http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-KX600-1-MONO-AMPLIFIER-600-WATTS-BEST-DEAL_W0QQitemZ1 80045605412QQihZ008QQcategoryZ79829QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am tempted to get the kicker since it shows 700Watts instead of the 600W label. THerefore 350W potentially to each of my subs instead of 300. What do you think?

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 7
Last but not least, what about this 2 channel on sale at frys for 80 bucks.
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4758009?JSESSIONID=FNf0Gn1Sth0cLGJvhyxfc8Z6Rft9 wfXhZGnXwCfm5V6M0N85kPDN!-886128825!-1032944858&site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3217
forget the crunch john, better get the alpine or kicker.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1666
john that crunch is junk plus you cant run your subs on it anyway. becasue it is only stable at 4ohm when its bridged and you cant wire your subs to 4ohm onyl 2. because they are single 4ohm.

so they best amp to get is that kicker because in the future if you ever upgrade subs then that would still be a great amp to keep.

but second inline is the abouve mentioned alpine

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 8
Ahh, I didn't notice that with the crunch. I"m buying the kicker!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3225
good choice

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1672
you have learned well young grasshopper. :-)

Chula vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 9
I'm a padawan learner!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us