Do I need a new hu? my Sony hu only has one rear pre-out.

Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 8
my Sony hu only has one set of pre-outs, labeled "line out rear." I have one amp for the four cabin speakers, and one amp for the subs. I do not plan to use the hu 40W X 4 amp at all.

I've been told I can use the hu pre-out to the first amp, then go pre-out of that amp into the next amp. I know I have no fader control now with the hu. This seems simple and OK to me, any problems I'm not understanding?

Someone else suggested buying a new hu, like an Alpine or Eclipse, with 3 sets of pre-outs (front, rear and sub). Is this much better, if so how? Seems like $200 and under would get me a very nice hu.

Oh, I see another set of rca jacks labeled "BUS Audio In." What is this?

Thanks for all feedback and suggestions.

Soundbitez
Unregistered guest
If you want to go for better sound, do go for Alpine, Clarion or Eclipse. You won't go wrong. The top end Clarions have 4 volts / 6 channel RCA line Output. Of course, it's probably a bit expensive. But have a shop around. Try to stay away from Sony.

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 11
So I pretty much found out that I can use the "line out rear" to go to the first, then second amp with no problem. If I went to a third amp I might start having problems, I think with the impedance. It was suggested I might be better to go into the 2 channel full frequency amp first, then to the bass amp next with the line out signal, just in case the bass amp, which starts cutting off above 200-300 Hz, doesn't pass the full frequency signal.

Thanks and don't think I need a new head unit just yet, for this reason anyway. Soon, I think I'll pick up the Alpine 9823 I think it is for about $200 or less.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us