Experts everyone is this box good?

Bronze Member
Username: Bump05

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 84
hey i made this box on the site for 2 15"l7s my trunk is only 35L 22H 22D so this is basically as big as i can go will it be good and hit decent thanks :-)http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=35&Eh=20&Dia=10&Xmax=6&Vd= .2&NumW=2&Vb=6.4&Fb=38&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5602
it looks like it will hit deep and loud.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 498
looks like you are lacking on the port area. prolly be a noisy box.

Bronze Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 19
At 60 sq.in of port area, He ain't going to get any port noise.

Add some braing to that box though, it's going to need it.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1233
do you mean bracing?

Bronze Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 85
how do i do that? and where

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 6030
i think 9 sq.in. of port is a little skimpish myself....i agree wuth Kebo, but Phil knows his stuff, so he could very well be right.

i go by DD's rec's with 15-16 per cube...they say it works....and i haven't had any problems.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6031
9 sq.in. of port per cube that is*****

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Sorry about that, yes, bracing.

bracing the enclosure can be done a number of ways:

2 x 4's
Threaded Rod
MDF

If your going to be building this enclosure yourself, then it's a matter of cutting the bracing and placing it where it offer's the means to keep the panels rigid.

Nopw, if your going to use ther parts list that program generated and if I were building the enclosure, I would cut two more parts @ 20 1/4" x 18 1/2".

Then, measure your layout lines to cut out sections of those to parts so they look like a divided pane window.

Something like this:

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Sh!t, the photo attach didn't work.

Anyways, this is what I mean:
[URL=http://community.webshots.com/photo/1366219921038953658FMHKBq][IMG]http://thumb18.webshots.net/t/40/40/1/99/21/366219921FMHKBq_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Bronze Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 90
hard for me to see taht pic lol i get what u mean.. but kinda still dont understand is the bracing a HUGE issue or just precaution cause im still a little confused about it

Bronze Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 92
so i would put 3 of those one left of sub. mid of sub. and right of the other sub?? and do they gotta be a window like that?

Bronze Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 95
so i would put 3 of those one left of sub. mid of subs. and right of the other sub?? and do they gotta be a window like that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Spl,

Tell what I'm going to do.

I'm going to do a design draft of your enclosure and post it to my photobucket site.

The design detail will have the enclosure that you spec'd as to the dimensions along with the bracing that I outlined.

Check back here in 30 mins for the link.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6045
^what a nice guy!!!!!^

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5625
damn now you are going to have a bunch of people asking for a draft.

Bronze Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 48
Phil.....your late.... a55wipe.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I'm only doing this so he's builds it the way i would build it and the design isn't all that complicated in the first place.

If he decides to build it another way, well, there's more than one way to build something.

OK, Enclosure Draft, this is to the spec's as outline per your link, use the cut sheet they provide for the parts:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/S15L7/BoxDims1.jpg

Next, this the enclosure with the top, back and side removed to show the bracing which in the design detail I spaced 1 3/4" to the sides of the subwoofer cutout:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/S15L7/BoxOpen-Bracing.jpg

Last design detail is of the brace itself in regards to the dimensions of size, note the 2", layout the lines in this manner, cutout the sections and viola, window frame brace.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/S15L7/BoxBracingDims.jpg

I can't make it any easier or simple than that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Ren, kiss my rosey red royal irish azz.:-)

What's up?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1574
JUst wondering Phil what kind of turbulance do you think will be seen with the brace in front of the port opening and could you expect any noise? Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Hey, what do you want for nothing.:Þ

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1575
lol not trying to bust b@lls I a in the midst of designing a semi permanent enclosure for behind my seat in my GTP. I have been dabbling with some composites/chicken wire, who knows may even contain some bondo, lol. ;) Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Polo,

I have built god knows how many enclosure using the same method of bracing similar to the design I just did and if there was any issue with it, I'm sure someone would of said something by now.

First, he's giving the port more than enough area @ 60 sq.in.

At full bore ( wattage wise ), the air moving thru that port is not moving above 35 MPH and I'm being conservative with that number.

Honestly, I have designed and built enclosure's with less port area that would cave in ear drums with subs eating 2000 watts.

Big does not always translate into loud in terms of what kind of spl performance is trying to achieved because at a certain point, the port becomes nothing more than a big whole in the enclosure far-ting up a storm.

At 38hz, it's not going to be worth a pizz for daily listening, unless he like his bass response to be rumbling.

Besides I built a box for 4 S15L7's ported for a s10 blazer awhile back, sure, it rattle sheetmetal and the glass windows shook like all he!!, but for dally listen, is sound like azz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
POLO,

that what do you want for nothing was aimed at ren

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1576
Ok cool, we are all here to learn. I am an old school bumper (34yrs old) and always learning. I am always open for suggestions or else I would be a total @ss like some unmentionables here, lol. I am a 3rd generation mechanic gone astray from my love of cars because the need of MONEY, not to much money anymore in turning wrenches. My best work was done in flow work, heads, eaxhaust, intakes, I have gotten to know internal turbulances and have been learning how they effect enclosures. Even though sound equipment is my original love, it takes the backseat while my two little boys take the mainstage. Funny because my kids love riding in my car even though I cut most of the bass, but they still like the two video screens behind th headrests and the remote to control the HU :-O. If I ask anything about a design you are showing is because I am taking interest and am curious on what you think, nothing more... By the way nice program, what are you using? Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3481
why does it need to be window shaped? cant you just use a couple threaded rods... would be easier

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Polo,

The program I use for draft enclosure design's is Sketch Up.

If you cruise over to google, you can dl a free version of it Google Sketch Up. It's not the full blow program like the one I have.

I love this program because for the longest time I've been searching for a program that truly does designing in 3-d and for enclosure designing it add's another level of detail to the design which I can present to customers.

Much better than 2-d designing.

Best part I like about the program is I can draft subwoofers as to their physical dimensions and put then in the design for the more complicated enclosure designs where the subwoofer may or may not be an isse as to fit.

I'm in total agreement of the " all here to learn " and in my over 30 yrs as a custom cabinet maker, there's more thing to learn than one come poosibly hope to learn in life time, though, some would like to think that they know everything.

That just tells me they stop learning and cannot be told otherwise nor wish to thing in terms other than inside the box so to speak.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
bassman,

I like this bracing type because it spans the entire depth of the panel, not just at a point in the panel.

Also, it built as part of the enclosure's structural integrity and the " cross " does not allow for any flex as opposing force's try to push or pull in opposite directions.

Also, it would look totally butt azz ugly to ship finished enclosure to a customer and there's thread rod ends with nuts & washers exposed on the finished exterior.

There's all sorts of methods to bracing an enclosure, there's no right or wrong, just different.

So argue that the type of bracing I use hinders bass response, spl output or causes turbulance of air flow.

If there's actual scientific concrete data to verify and support this claim and I mean actual testing, not hearsay, conjecture or speculation, I want to see it from a verifyable, unbaised, well known source.

I heard the myth's spoken, yet, no actual proof based in fact.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3484
cool. thanks for the info, and ur right now that i think of it. the window idea is good because like you said it streches over the entire box, and not just one part. how long does it usually take to make those window bracings?

Bronze Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 53
Phil, mark a spot, and ill pack dinner.

Your all a55. ;)

Doing fine man, just fine. Dodgin the popo in my silver bullet.....and doing worth a dam at it.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1577
Upload

It is a great program, lets you see before you build! Polo.. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Bass,

Takes my about 20 mins to cut this type of bracing.

Granted, I have all the tools to do it, but, if the part is cut to size, all you need is.

Combination Square
Drill w/ Bits
Jigsaw

If you really want to get get spiffy, a router with a 1/4" or 3/8" roundover bit to break the square edges of the cutouts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Polo,

Exactly!!!!!

Hey, how did you post a pic in here, I tried to do it before with the other images and it didn't do squat.

Whats the secret????

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3488
alright. thanks, how much box volume does those types of bracings add?

and polo, that pic looks cofusin, lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Ren,

One of these days I have to take a road trip just to meet your ugly mug.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2549
hey guys how do u do that i downloaded that but am having trouble trying to figure it out maybe im just stupid lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Bass,

This type of bracing displaces very little volume, for example, that brace as shown only displaces .09 cu.ft. considering that the material is 3/4" MDF

In the grand scheme of the enclosure design, that's nothing, won't even notice it.

Now, since I have available to me mdf in various thinckiness, I make the bracing using 1/2" MDF and I make the bracing 1" as opposed to 2" as shown in that detail, therefore, I am displacing even less volume. Add it all up, it's hardly worth sweating over it.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1579
You need to save your box picture as a Jpeg or similar, it must be under 600dpi and under 100K. Just click on upload image. I have a pic resizer if you interested, great program just hit custom and tyoe in 599 for the first value, it does the rest. Polo30@Ameritech.net Polo..

Bronze Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 97
phil this box was for 2 15" l7 cause i was limited on space, i appreciate everything you showed me that was nice but would that box still work for 2 and just brace it different?

Bronze Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 98
btw thanks for everything but if i do that box with 2 15's i totally understand the bracing perfectly but now that im throwing another in there how many braces would i need and located where?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1580
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Charlie,

It's pretty straight forward to use.

I highly suggest you use the tutorial just to get the basic's down using the tools and such.

Hey, when I got the full blown version, it took me the better part of an hour to understand and use it for basic stuff.

The more I played with it, the more I understood the functions of the tools.

If the google version does nt have a tutorial, goto SketchUP's website, they have tutorials there.

Bronze Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 99
:-)

Bronze Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 100
im gonna run them both with one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Soundstream-Picasso-PCA2000D-Subwoofer-Amplifier-2000W_W0QQi temZ140029527842QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem when you guys say better your electrical does that mean just a ho alternator?? and were do i get one and price?? thanks :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
SPL,

OK, now your going to put three S15L7's into this enclosure.

I gotta ask the question????

Where were you going to stick three S15L7's on this enclosure design?

You sure as he!! can't fit two on the same surface area that the slot port is on since each subwoofers frame is 15 3/4" square.

Well, you could, but it'd be tight as he!!.

Next, how many watts is each sub getting?

If it wasn't so damn late in the night, I could think more clearly now that you threw a big azz monkey wrench into this design.

Well, off the top of my head, you can't go three across, that would require angling or dividing up the baffle, the center would be forward with the side baffles angled - you lose volume.

Next, two subwoofers on the front baffle mount high, pushed as clsoe to the side as possible, move the port the the bottom of the enclosure and have the third subwoofer firing upward - may work if I put enough thought into the design, the bracing would be a royal b!tch to working into it.

Next, two subs firing up, one firing back, split the slot port from one large port to two ports using the ports walls as the bracing - lots of designing details involved and eliminates the bracing altogether.

It's after 1 am and I can't think creatively enough right now.

I can solve the problem, MAYBE, but I need time to do it.

or

Bag the third sub and just use two, your ball!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2552
alright thnk phil and polo i just dont have a pic of my box yet polo cause i am just about to build my box its prob gonna take me forever to do thi but ill try to figure it out when i get home from school

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1582
I have been using the free version for a while but since Phil showed me what the pics look like on the pro version I had to download it. That program is expensive as hell for, so I got a crack for it, nice program, lol. Thanks...Polo. :-)

Silver Member

Hesperia, CA USA

Post Number: 101
oh no phil lol you mis understood i saw your blueprint you made and it was awesome but i only saw one sub opening im guessing you were just showing me how to brace but all i was is 2 in that enclosure and i know it will be hella tight but it should still work right? and i was just asking since theres 2 subs going in that enclosure how would i brace it cause its kinda squeezed you know...well help me out, oh and one question in that same enclosure would 2 12"l7 hit harder then 2 15" l7s since the 12's would have more air space let me know thanks man :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us