Static when playing DVD

Username: Rex_skidmore

CA

Post Number: 1
Hello - I used the search function and could not locate this on another thread. Apologies in advance if this is a common question.

Bought a 2002 Tahoe with aftermarket DVD player. For the first year or more, DVD played w/o static through an RF tuner. I have static now. Talking to a stereo guy at a party the other day, he said I needed to install SOMETHING I cannont remember. I can do this myself. I don't want to pay the $150 another person suggested. From my research, I think this is a $20 part.

What do I need to install?
Who makes a high quality one?

Many thanks everyone,

~Rex

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4522
I'm not sure if this is it, but i'll give it a try: http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/accessories/noise-sup.htm

CA

Post Number: 2
Does anyone know what the item is that I need? I've been shown several at several stereo shops and I have received multiple opinions on this.

I need a "final answer". Thanks.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4615
I just said so above...that's definitely it after seeeing your other posts.

CA

Post Number: 4
Actually, I just returned from the local e-store with a new Wired FM Modulator.

Here's the results of the research since I last visited. This may also help anyone who reads this forum in the future. A new FM modulator is the item that will solve the issue. I'm wireless now and need to get wired.

I could simply select another Frequency on the current unit to avoid the (a)newer -or- (b)incumbent station that is now broadcasting a wee bit stronger lately on my truck's Wireless Modulator Frequency selection.

For 5~7 months I haven't attempted to listen on that designated frequency and was able to recently make out the rythym of some tune hitting me from somewhere.

It's not my frequency, so I don't mind moving. My aim is to do this once and do it correctly so I'm not swapping for another Wireless Modulator in 3 years. We're going Wired. The cassette adaptor is a cheesy setup. Too klugey to sign my name to it.

+++++++++++

With regard to sound quality, the Wireless Modulator rests at the bottom of the pile with the Hardwired version above it. However, depending on circumstances, Hardwired Modulators can be as good as cassette adaptors -- if not better.

The FM Modulator or FM Transmitter is a device used to play your (Satellite, DVD, MP3, CD) radio receiver through your vehicle's FM Stereo.

Normally second choice to an audio cassette adaptor because of sound quality, the FM Modulator is still a very quick and simple way to get your plug-and-play DVD player working in your vehicle.

The FM Modulator provides an option for listeners who want an easy way to hook up their receiver, or those who simply do not have a built-in cassette player in their vehicle.
There are probably thousands of DVD viewers out there who will tell you that they experience good reception using an FM Modulator. However, an FM Modulator will occasionally degrade the quality of audio output from your plug-and-play DVD player.

An FM Modulator converts the audio signal from the plug-and-play receiver into an FM Signal, which is then transmitted over an unused FM Frequency or station selected on the box by the listener. The limitations of the FM frequency band mean this does not represent what the entire signal actually sounds like.

There are two types of FM Modulator available: Wireless & Hardwired.

The Wireless Modulator can be built-in to a power adaptor that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket, the docking station or cradle that houses the plug-and-play receiver, or, the plug-and-play receiver itself. The receiver's audio output is transmitted over the air to an unused FM Frequency.

The Wireless Modulator is convenient, easy to install and configure, but broadcasts only a very short-range signal prone to fading and with interference; comparatively weaker compared to a Hardwired Modulator.

The Hardwired Modulator is placed in between the vehicle's stereo unit and antenna. The Modulator connects directly into the stereo's FM Antenna Socket to provide a better frequency response and a signal with less interference that is less lightly to fade.

The amount of interference, static and fading you experience, using either of these devices, depends on (1) where you are geographically located in the US (2) the quality of the in-built tuner or broadcast (3) the type of Modulator installed in your vehicle.

For example: somebody living in a major metropolitan area, using a Wireless Modulator, will no doubt experience poor reception along with the frequent and often debilitating interference from other radio stations.

++++++++++++++++

That's my plan after breakfast tmrw. I'll update here when it's finished.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4619
That's an extremely excessive explanation for just saying one is wirelessly broadcast(worse) to an FM station and the other plugs into the antenna jack(better) on the head unit. :-)

CA

Post Number: 6
Yeah, that makes sense. Looks like when I transferred +++++ the text btwn the +++++ I omitted http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Jonathan_Dalton
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us