Not sure which way to connect subs. Serial or Parallel

Username: Alnshan

Post Number: 8
I just bought 2 JL Audio 12w3v3 subs and they came in a box and pre-wired. The store I bought them from said it was wired in serial, but I have the option to wire them in parallel. What's the difference??? If I do keep them in serial...is there a different way of wiring it to my amp or can I just simply connect the red to the red and the black to the black???

Post Number: 9
Anyone???

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 398
the different wiring config with change the ohm load the amp will see.. what is the coil config on the subs? what kind of amp do you have?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2175
what amp are you getting and are the subs dvc4 or dvc2 phm.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4737
the jl 12w3's are svc. you still need to take it out of the box to check what ohm it is. if i were to take a guess they are 2ohm. thats why it is wired in series. so you would get a 4 ohm load. that is just my educated guess so you gotta ask the people where you got it or take it out of the box to see. i am sure it says it on the sub.

Post Number: 10
Correction...I bought the 12W3V2 D4 and not the V3's. Sorry

I'm running them with a JL Audio 500.1.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3053
then it doesnt matter, cause the JL had a Reg power supply. just wire to 1-4 ohms. www.the12volt.com

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2717
the 500/1 is stable 1.5ohms to 4 ohms, and leave it series at a 4ohm load, there would be no difference in changing the wiring, except that the amp will prob get real hot or clip because it is below ohm load capability.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
so leaving it in series would prevent the amp from clipping???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us