If you had up to $1300-1500..what sub(s)?

Username: Sublime06

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 2
ok. this is a hard decision for me, ive lurked here for awhile just now posting..

driving a 1997 pontiac grand prix..

i at first wanted 2 12s, preferably the RE XXX's. i call up RE, a rep quotes me at 1299.99 for 1 12, and 1699.99 for 1 15. i almost cr4p myself. i then called my local dealer, and apparantly they can sell me the same 12 for 959.99 or the 15 for 1300.

i heard the quality on RE subs are insane, and i want the deeper bass the 15 can hit and the 12 can't..

i believe the rep said the new re xxx's are 1000/2000 rms/peak, recommended a 1000W amp obviously..but will that be loud..enough?

i own a alpine 12 type-r. one. in a fucked up box. i can turn heads and people do hear me from a decent distance, but i mean its nothing compared to someone with 2 15s or something..

off hand (i will find out for sure by measurement saturday) will the grand prix hold a 15? is it better (when youre on a budget) to just go with that 1 15, or wait a long time, save 2,000 up and get 2 12s...

i just want to rumble the car next to me, with the deep low tones..any recommendations for $1500?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1363
crystal comp X15
amp that does 1500-2000rms
250amp alternator
new battery (unless you have a somewhat new one)
box tuned to 32hz. i would do around 3-3.5cuft after displacement.

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 3
see i heard i really didnt need a new alternator..as long as i get a seperate battery..

and what is the cuft scale?

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 278
id rather get 2 12' cvx's with a zx1500.1 that would be louder than the 1 15 re

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 279
it would be for about the same price as the 1 15 if u get it on ebay to

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1364
http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/charging.html

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 4
1300-1500 to spend on subs, strictly subs.

and some brand names would help..

basically

RE audio = sound quality + loud

true? worth the money?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8782
hmmm - 4 that $ i would spend it on

Mmats
DD
Treo
Atomic

these r more SPL but still have good SQ ...

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1308
the re xxx is definately worth it if you have it.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1365
add on to rovins post...

Digital Designs 9515 or 2 9512s
Treo SSx 12s or 15
MMats juggernaut 12s or 15
ive never heard an atomic sub in person so ill have to stay out of that one...

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1134
two Stereo Integrity Mag 15 with two Nine.1 or Sundownz new 1200.1 amp

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2183
i would def go with some dd's they are just about the best out there and around 600 a piece you can have 2 15" 9500's

Silver Member
Username: Halter

Paulding, Ohio

Post Number: 207
is it tru about the batterys...if u get a optima battery u dont need to get high HO alternator?

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1366
no. look ^^^ at my post earlier with the link.

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 164
Man. Just get 2 SI mag 15's and call it a day. They will hit real low, get very loud, and sound very clean. Not to mention you will have a few $100 left over to spend on a nice amp. For $1500 you could have 2 si mag 15's and a Massive Audio P3000.1. For $1500 it is hard to get a better system than that.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1590
if i had all that money ill get

2 15 inch apxx
2 orion 2500d
1 350 amps alternator custum made from irragi

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 5
but would 2 15s fit in my trunk? grand prix, not grand cherokee.

and i really dont know..i NEED a warranty with my subs..does that SI provide that?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 169
SI provides a 1 year warranty on all their subs. Also, I have been using them for a long time, and know plenty of other people who have been using them for a very long time, and so far not a single one has blown on us.

As how much room you got to work with? Give me some dimensions and I will tell you what your options are.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4666
man i would love to try one of those out showrides. too bad they don't make them in 18s.

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 371
You can fit 1 ported 15" in there fine.. hell I have a SX 15" in my Jetta.. and yes 1000wrms can get you loud as hell depending on the install. I actually can't listen to music past 24 for the volume before it starts to hurt, of course it depends on the song. But being tuned at 35hz is what I get..

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5619
"RE, a rep quotes me at 1299.99 for 1 12, and 1699.99 for 1 15"

That is a bit too pricey. Last year, the RE X.X.X. 12" was around $450.

If you want loud bass, go visit a JL dealer and listen to 12" W7 in a HO box. You will be surprised.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4667
matt i'd do 1 15. you can get a single sub to sound loud as long as you do a good install. i've got a single re sx 18 with a 1000wrms and its plenty loud. my whole car flexes and at lower bass notes my rear windshield and my sunroof looks like it is going to pop out.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 171
The Sx is a very nice driver. To bad RE went crazy on the prices.

And chad, I think you would be plenty happy with the 15. But I am guessing you just don't want to make a new box for it. I know the Mag 12 was put in a direct swap with a Sx 12, and the mag ended up with about 2 db's more output. And the box was built to RE specs. And you guys know how loud the Sx's are.

Also, though the mag will sound much better. I like the Sx for its output, but the SQ just isn't what I would like from it.

But overall I really do like the Sx's, but after owning a mag I would just never go back.

And to the poster. It would make a lot more sense to go with a single mag 15, and be able to fit a nice ported box, then try to cram 2 of them in there and have the enclosures be way to small. Now if you can get a couple cubic feet for each 15, then it is another store. Because the mag 15's do work great with limited amounts of space. But at a certain point 1 15, with a decent sized box is the better choice.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4670
lol. yeah its the box. this last box too much hassle to put in and make.

the sq of the sx isn't really something to brag about. its decent but thats all it is.

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 6
the mag 15...i take it you're referring to the stereo integrity mag 15..

see, im weary about buying things i've heard nothing about..

where to buy? cost to ship? warranty?

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 7
talked to a guy at SI. they got me interested in their 15s..

i couldnt fit 2 of them in my grand prix, could i? or would i have to make the boxes so small that i wouldnt truly be taking advantage of the power? because if there is a way to have a mind blowing (and ear popping) system (2 15s), i'm doing it.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 173
Well the 15's were designed to work VERY well with limited amounts of space. I am porting 2 15's in a Ford Mustang, but I am taking my back seats out. I am sure you could fit 2 15's ported if you did that, but keeping the back seats in and porting them would be very hard I bet. And take a lot of custom work.

Of course 2 mag 15's sealed with a little over a cubic foot each would pound incredibly hard. I am not worried about the mounting depth, or the width of the box. I just need to know how high your trunk goes. So basically if you can git 1 15 in there I am sure you could fit 2 sealed.

2 ported though would be amazing, if you had the room for it. I would say you would need about 10 cubic feet to make it work perfectly. So see if you have that much room to work with and it is a possibility.

And I am guessing you talked to Nick at SI. I hope he answered all your questions, but if you need pricing/warranty info let me know.

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 8
trunk dimensions:

length: 43" (from the back of the back seats to bumper for a visualization)
width: 40"
height: 17"

these are rough estimates..

any ideas on what will fit?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 175
Well with that amount of space you can fit 2 mag inch mags ported. The hard part will be box construction.

Now even thoughg that size box will fit in the trunk, you have to remember that you need to get it through one of the 2 openings into the trunk. Now if the opening of the trunk is only 36 inches wide, while the width of the trunk is 40 inches, then the biggest box you could slide in there is 36 inches wide.

Now the way around this would be to construct the box inside of the trunk. That can be done, but it takes a lot of patience.

So let me know how big the opening to your trunk is as well and I can help you.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 176
I meant to say "With that amount of space you can fit 2 15 inch mags ported"

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 9
well, i'm having them professionally installed by a local dealer/installer:

team nutz

they've told me if it can fit, they'll do it, its just that you won't get the box out without busting it apart (in other words, they create it in the trunk)

i mean, money is somewhat of a factor, but thanks to my fresh credit card..ill spend more if i have to..

i want to rumble. i want to hit the low low low notes, and rumble windows in houses when i drive by. literally. now dont get me wrong, i'm not an a hole bass freak, i just want to have the potential incase some kid tries to clown..

anyway, i'm just trying to think what would be best... 2 12s... 1 15... 2 15s...

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 179
Go with the 2 mag 15's ported, off the p3000.1 and make the professionals take care of the install. Tell them you want 7 cubes after port displacement, and driver displcement. Wire them to 2 ohms, and sit back and watch your car fall apart. Not only will they hit the lows very well, and sound great, but they are going to have a ton of output. So basically you will get the best of both worlds.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 11
p3000.1 - who makes that? ill look around but toss me a link..

so basically:

2 ohms, 7 cu. ft. after displacement(s), ported.

by the way, you've been a great help. i appreciate it

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh

Post Number: 12
sorry, spoke with someone on another forum - they recommended the IA 20.1 for 2 MAG 15s..

Username: Sonyxplode

Post Number: 2
get 6 sony xplodes in a prefab ported box with 3 sony amps

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1309
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 182
Yeah, I had a 20.1 with my 2 mags and it is an AMAZING Amp. The only problem is IA is completely out of them, and I don't expect they will have them anytime soon. So the Massive Audio p3000.1 seems to be the best choice these days. For $500 that thing puts out a TON of power. Basically it is just 2 P1500.1's internally strapped. If you open up the amp it looks AMAZING. I am thinking of installing the p3000.1 with a pair of mag 15's, and taking off the cover so you can see the amp internals. Should be a perfect setup.

And yes, 7 cubic feet after port and displacement, and try to tune it around 32 hz. You can tune lower if you really want to pound those lows, but from what I have noticed most songs don't play below 30hz. So I prefer to tune in the low 30's. But if you want to really FEEL it in your chest tune it to 27Hz, and hope you can still breathe.

Here is a link to the massive audio Amp.

http://massiveaudio.com/lowband/products/amplifiers/pro/p3000.html

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 914
2 treo ssx 15s
650 or so on ebay

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 915
2 treo ssx 15s
650 or so on ebay
actually no there 650 from a dealer my bad

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1316
Where? Link?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 188
He was looking at subs like the Re XXX. Obviously he is looking for some solid SQL subs. Not pure SPL subs.

Also, any money he would save by going with 2 treo subs, he would just lose again buying an amp to actually make them move. The mag 15's are SUPER efficient, even more so than the mag 12's. And with as little as 500rms they will get a TON of output.

Not to mention, any dealers selling on ebay must be very deperate. Most companies don't even allow dealers to do that, so I doubt that guy is a real dealer, or will be one much longer.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4376
i would get 2 RL-p's.
and a nice 1500watt amp.
and call it a day.

look at all the money you would save:-)

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 196
Yes, it would be cheaper to get some Rl-p's from SoundSplinter.

But why settle for a system that isn't as good as 2 mags, and a p3000.1 when he wants to have the best system possibe for $1300-1500.

Not to mention the Stereo Integrity BM series is coming out in about 2 days, and those driver are going to be right around the same price as the rl-p's and they are going to be better. If he were looking for something for around $900, there is a lot better than 2 rl-p's and a nice 1500watt amp.

But if he wants to spend around $1500 he can get a sytem that is MUCH better than the pair of RL-p's.

Bronze Member
Username: Blkwardog

Adel, Iowa Usa

Post Number: 65
with those RE prices ur better goin w/ treos(ssx) imo

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 255
Yea, Re just has crazy high prices now. Deff. not worth it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us