JL 10w7 vs. Alpine Type R 12

Username: Jc01

Post Number: 1
i listen to all kinds of music mainly classic rock and country some rap from time to time and i was wondering which would be better fro my use a JL 10w7 or Alpine Type R 12

Gold Member
Username: Alex_f

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 1191
umm i would take the W7. way differnt subs..

Post Number: 2
really what is so diffrent about them? which is cleaner? i have a friend who swears by Alpines but everything i read makes me lean more to the w7? it seams that it is cleaner, is this true?

Gold Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 1197
the W7 would stomp the type r. Now i think the type x would give it a competion.I would go type x because so many ppl have w7.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1162
jl is a lot better brand. alpines are good, but not even in the same catagory as jl. i've owned both jl and alpine and the jl's are so much better.

Silver Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 441
uhoh alex u mentioned type xs .. andy f will be on this thread momentarily to tell everyone that they are better then a w7 .. .watch out now

Gold Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 1199
they are really nice, the 12" is cheaper than the 10" W7 by alot. ctmike, have you owned a type x and w7? what sizes? I too have owned both brands.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2068
i'd get a w6v2 in a HO box, it will be louder than the type r, and dominate sq wise.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1163
nope, never owned an x and never will. have heard plenty of x's, installed nicely to, and i don't like them. def. think there not worth the money. for the price of an x i'd rather get 2 r's which will play louder and still sound pretty good. and i'd rather save the extra money and get a jl over the x and be happier.

Post Number: 4
this would be going in the trunk of my car (93 lumina (it was given to me)) and i was wondering for best sound and clarity which is better a ported or sealed enclosure?

i think i an deffinatly leaning twords the w7 w/a 500/1 and (or is there a similar as good or better amp for about the same price)

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1164
if you have the money def. get the 500/1. or try the xenon 600.1, also good amp, if you can't get the jl.

Gold Member

Near lexington, Ky Us

Post Number: 1201
you will need more power, pretty much double Jl's rms ratings. Their warranty void starts at double their rms.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4124
people base too much emphasis on BASSSSSS.

you mids and highs are what really define your system.

the SQ of your system starts at you HU and works its way to everything else.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 329
hey f*uck u mike london i was tryin to bring the type X rep up they got a very low rep and they are way underrated by alot as is JL is way overrated and overpriced by alot... my fav brand is DD audio not alpine type X but a 2 10" type X and 2 10" W7 who u think is better.hmm Iam gona buy a W7 and find that out for myself and sell it later if it dosnt sound better lol

Post Number: 5
i was going to go with a pioneer DEH-P680MP

i am running into some problems with my midrange componets up fromt i have 6X9s in the rear but 4X6s in the dash any suggestions as to a wat to get better speakers up there or should i just go with some pioneer replacemet 4X6s

what is a better box for the 10w7 ported or sealed? (more emphasis on sound quality than defining loudness)

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1167
for your fronts get a nice set of components and get an amp for them. get hold of alteraudio and he'll hook you up with a good price on some cdt's. for the rear you could either leave them as is or replace them with better 6x9's but not bother amping them. depends on how you like it to sound, as in rearfill. and for the w7 that also depends on what you like. sealed would have better sq while ported will give more spl.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4127
sealed will have a flatter freq. response

ported tends to be loudest within a range of the tuning freq. and about 10hz up.

output drops significantly after the tuning freq. znd the lower you tune it. the less control it will have at higher freq.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4128
that being said....depending on the motor of the subwoofer....some subs sound 10 times better in ported enclosures....like DD's.:-)

Post Number: 6
i have hand cranked windows & Qlogic does not make kick pannels for my car so the question is where to put them? anyone ever dealt with a 93 or so chevy lumina

Post Number: 7
how do the 10w7 and 10w6 compare

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1544
hahahahha, andy F came hahahahhahaha

Gold Member

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2083
the w6 is a lot better sq wise, but the w7 will get louder. i'd get a w6 in a HO box, it will sound great and get pretty loud. and only need 400wrms.

Post Number: 8
what do u mean by a HO box? i dont know what that means

Gold Member

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2084
its a special box JL makes just for there subs, its a very nice box.

Bronze Member
Username: Allstar13

Houtson, Texas

Post Number: 12
up front for 4x6 you could go with a set of boston acoustic 746 (a 4x6 plate) i had two sets in my 93 chevy pickup they sound great and are the BEST 4x6 you can buy trust me i know kinda pricey but u wont be dissapointed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us