Hooked up stereo, no sound!

Username: Boyscout71

Post Number: 1
My husband hooked up a 2003 f-150 factory stereo in our jeep wrangler (we needed a new stereo in the jeep and he liked the factory stereo in F 250 truck). He went off the wire diagram and everything looks to be in the right place and matches up...there is power to the unit, everything works, cd ejects, you can hear it clicking that its all working but NO SOUND. He rechecked all wiring...what else could it be? Speakers worked w/ old stereo. There is an extra plug that came w/ stereo but it didnt look like it was needed .....unless we had a cd changer or something extra..but not sure now what it might be for? Thanks for any help!
Heather

Post Number: 2
Also would anyone have the wiring diagram for a 2003 Ford F150 factory stereo (model number 3L3T-18C868-AC) and also one for a 1993 jeep wrangler? Want to make sure we have the correct diagrams. Thanks!!!!
Heather

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 239
Could have a factory amplifier in there. Call a local audio shop and they should tell you if it does or not. Factory amps always mess everything up!

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your reply:-) Do you mean just call up and ask for this particular ford stereo or do you have to go in and show it to them?
Also, any clue on what it will take to make it work in the jeep? Thanks!!
Heather

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 240
No, just call up any place that installs car audio stuff, tell them your vehicle and they should know or not if it does. Here, this is a thread I made about taking one out of a probe. Might give you an idea on what you will go through and what you will need if there is a factory amp in there and you have to bypass it.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 241
Oh, sorry I forgot to post the thread, lol:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/245872.html

Post Number: 4
Thank you so much! Sorry to sound so stupid, I am relaying messages from my husband and probably asking them wrong.... but there is no need for that extra plug? My husband thinks that is the problem, since it is not hooked in (but also do not have any diagram to hook it in?). So our only solution if it does have an amp,,, you have to bypass the amp in order to make it work at all? Heather

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 244
Well, if there is a factory amp in there, that is whats stopping the speakers from putting out any sound. That extra plug, are you sure that's not the antenna? Can you explain what it looks like?

Post Number: 5
Its a square plug w/ 8 wires coming out of the back? We dont know what is it or the diagram for it.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 258
Does your husband remember after taking out the head unit another connector which had 8 wires on it and a single fat wire? If he does take out your head unit and look around for it (it shouldn't be connected to anything)(the fat wire that is). If it's there, cut it open and there should be all your speaker wires all in a group. Just figure out which ones goes to what speaker and connect them to the HU wires.

Post Number: 6
I will relay the message, thanks so much!!!

Post Number: 7
My husband did say there is no amp in the jeep wrangler that we are installing into.....and the ford stereo that we are installing has a compartment in the back to plug in an amp but has no prongs coming out so wouldnt that mean that the amp may not be the problem?
He also didnt find any extra fat wire or anything as mentioned.

Bronze Member
Username: Phantomlord2k

Post Number: 16
I just had the same problem in my 2001 Ram. There was no amp to be found as they were attached to the door speakers inside the door. I had just bought a new CD/DVD head unit and couldn't get any sound except from the RCA outputs. Took the head unit to a local repair shop and they found no problems. That's when I found out my truck had the Premium Sound system (which still sounds like crap). I was in the process of replacing all the speakers and that's how I found out. It may very well be that your "amps" are hidden inside the doors.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us