Speaker Advice - Polk Audio or Infinity

Username: Skylacker

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I am interested in some opinions on which speakers would be better. I listen primarily to rock music....80's, 90's, 00's.

Polk Audio DB400 in front and DB525 in rear?

OR

Infinity Kappa 42.7i in front and 52.7i in rear?

Both sets will have a Bazooka 8" amplified subwoofer.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 156
Have you listened to both sets? I've never been a fan of the Infinity sound, which in my opinion is very distinctive. Some people love Infinity and swear by them, they're just not to my taste. I personally run Polk DB5250 components and alpine type S rears. I love my Polk speakers and would reccomend them in terms of quality but sound is all subjective.

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Perris, California USA

Post Number: 1621
is it true that the infinitys are louder and/or its tweeter is harsher or more ear piercing?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 163
"Loudness" of a speaker has to do with how you power them in my opinion, but you will hear a lot of people say that the Infinity is a louder speaker. They can handle more power so that's part of the explanation but yes, I tend to find the Infinity tweeters harsh, hence my preference toward Polk.

Gold Member

Perris, California USA

Post Number: 1622
well i like that harsh sound in the infinitys

and since its high treble in the tweeters is loud and harsh then does that mean that the sound also travels farther? like u know wen u have a high treble system where u could still hear the highs even after the car has past you?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 168
Actually, if my failing memory of sound dynamics serves, lower frequency sounds actually travel farther before achieving the same attenuation. But in terms of frequencies we can discern, the highs may very well stick with us longer. Not trying to argue though, you may be right, I've just always noticed bass in a passing car more than treble unless the car just lacks equal bass.

Gold Member

Perris, California USA

Post Number: 1627
yes i know derek. i think its kinda weird actually

because when theyr talking about subwoofers i know that low frequencies like in the 20-40hz range travel farther than frequencies in the 50-70hz range.

and theyr always saying the lower the frequency the farther its gonna travel but i think that switches around as it gets to the Khz's in speakers.

for example if u have a mid speaker and a tweeter playing at the same volume the tweeters sound travels farther and it can even bounce around stuff like cars or walls. like play rap music for example and listen to it in the car. u could hear the vocals and the words clear but if u move idk like 200 feet away the mids fade away. but u could still hear the high Khz "tss, tss" of the music

do u know wut i mean?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 170
I definately know what you're saying and it's true. I'm not sure how much of it has to do with the actual charecteristics of the sound waves versus our ability to hear them over other ambient noise and our sensitivity to the high frequencies. Makes me glad I don't have to write any research papers about that sort of thing.

Gold Member

Perris, California USA

Post Number: 1630
ya its just that higher frequencies travel farther thats it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us