DAMN!!! I think i blew my amp...(argh)

Silver Member
Username: Paps

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 161
Ok so I was inspecting my amp the other day for any loose cables (power, ground, rca's) and checking the fuses and everything seems ok. so i took it down to the local audio shop and they checked it out with a DMM. Everything was looking good until they tried to check if there was any power going thru the rca's jacks (w/e their called) and it didnt show anything on the DMM. Does this mean I fried my amp or what?

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 163
Its getting the power from the power cable and grouding it but its not delivering it to the subs. Has anyone had a similar problem occur to them?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2200
rcas provide a signal, not voltage, soo, does your amp power on, if so you can try an jump another set of rcas to the amp, and get a speaker you know works and test it on the amp and is the amp being turned on with power from the remote wire...

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1118
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the RCA's provide signal by way of voltage..? Hence the 'gain' or 'level' settings on your amplifier.

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 165
the power light doesnt turn on, but it has power going thru it. (and it gets hot after the ignition switch is turned on)

"is the amp being turned on with power from the remote wire..."

not sure what you mean by that (im new to this) but...

the amp would always turn on as soon as i turned the key to either:
1: aux. position (one click back - lets you turn on a/c or cd player)
2: power (one click forward - lets u turn on cd player, a/c, move the power windows up/down and cluster needles turn on)
3: or whenever you had the car running.

the amp got power if the key was in any of the 3 previous positions, wheather or not, the HU was on .

hope that answers some questions?

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 166
and i meant the terminals where the speaker wire connects to the amp from the subs not rca's lol. rca's are the ones that connect to the HU right?

Silver Member

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 168
gonna go watch "the omen" right now so ill come back later, thanks for correcting me guys and the help

Bronze Member
Username: Sweet_subs

Memphis, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 50
ok when u hook an amp up there will be a power cable a negaitve cable and what shoild be a remote wire it hooks up inbetween the two other hook ups on mine but make wure ua hva ea wire hooked up to that and that it is getting power of at least 12 volts.

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 406
the remote wire sends a signal to the amp to turn it on, of course there will always be power to the amp, weather the key is on or not, but the amp isnt officially "ON" untill the head unit is on, unless the HU keeps the amp on while there is power through the ignition...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us