Username: Aman2005

Post Number: 12
Hey mates,
Can I use a car amp for home audio?

Bronze Member
Username: Mahoney

Norris CityUSA

Post Number: 25
well ill just say this.. its possible to do but i dont know how good it would do...I got bored one day and hooked a 1000 watt amp and a 12" audiobahn to my surround sound system and it but out about have the bass it did when i had it in my car. Why are you wanting to use your amp in your house anyways

Silver Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 550
Cuz he doesnt have a car, duh! Jk i dont know but yeah i did the same w/ my amp a long time ago all you need is a car battery and thats all but the problem is keeping the battery charged. Ive heard you could run it off a battery charger too.

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 225
most car batteries are 12 volt and most house outlets are 120 volts when the amp is made for 12 volts of 14.4 volts it will distort really bad at 120 volts plus you got to know how to wire pretty damn good to be able to wire a amp and sub into a house stereo system, buy a plate amp then use that.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 347
I remember seeing 12 volt power supplies that you hook into the wall on a car/home audio site.

Also, you can make one, lol.
http://www.play-hookey.com/analog/experiments/plus_12_volt_ps.html

Silver Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 556
Its not hard to wire an amp and sub to a home stereo system if you use a battery.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 747
http://www.millionbuy.com/pyrps86kx.html
Use that if your amp is fused for less than 80 amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Mahoney

Norris CityUSA

Post Number: 33
its about the same difficulty hooking a car system to your house system...i thought it was easier but idk

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 708
plug a battery charger into the wall and have it charge a car battery. you can run your amp off the car battery. this will work for a while until the battery runs out because the charger can't keep up, how long depends on how big of amp.

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 256
you should be able to find a dc to ac converter online and it will make it 12volts to run your amp

Silver Member
Username: Highstone

Post Number: 192
can't you just use a regular adapter that converts 120 to 12v.
lets say a device with an adapter that uses 12v. just cut the wire and hook the + and - into the amp... won't that work..?

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 260
no it wont because you will need thick wire to meet the high amperage demands of an amp. if you take say your power cord from your cd player and hook it to your amp either a fuse will blow on your house line or youll have and electrical fire.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 247
im sure a FUSE wont blow on your house but you might pop a circuit breaker haha, dont worry we catch your drift

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 724
usually the circuit breaker is rated for 15-20a and a 1000w amp can draw about 75a.

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 121
the battery charger has a step down transformer that steps down the voltage from 120V to 14 V for the Amp and it has a step up transformer for the amperage to get the 20A house current upto 100A or whatever is needed u dont need converters duh!

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 481
yea... peeps at pawn shops test their amps by hooking up a car battery to a car battery charger..... than hooking an amp to the battery.... but.. i would just buy a plate amp

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 147
Just get a AC/DC converter at Radioshack, however, I believe it's only up to 25amps. You can do it. Well Best Buy (for example) does it right?:-):-):-)

Silver Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 261
^^boy is my face red....yeah its going to trip the circut breaker not A FUSE!^^

but the only thing with running a battery off a battery charger is how many amps you are pulling with your amp...and your going to want a deep cycle battery because the charger may not be able to charge it as fast as it can rechage the battery..it will be fine if you dont demand high current and dont play for hours on end letting it charge back up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us