Lights Dimming...

Silver Member
Username: Highstone

Post Number: 170
hi i have a 01 Nissan Altima and i installed 4 new pioneer speakers, head unit, and amplifier.. the amplifier is only 600 WRMS but when i turn the volume half way (30/62)and the lights dim.. also the RPM needle goes up and down a little ..
QUESTIONS:

Should this be happening . i only have 600 Watt amp?

If not is there a way to solve this problem without getting a HO alternator?

Please only give solutions that do not involve upgrading the alternator...
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2090
depending on the size of your stock alternator and the reaction time of its voltage regulator, 600 watts might be enough to cause dimming.

there is no right way other then a HO Alt. any half a$s way will only cause more problems down the road.

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1469
how are your gains set? Also, what kind of amp is it? Had a sony in my gf's car and that made the lights dim too, and it was only 100wrms or something. Switched to a 400wrms RF amp and the lights don't dim at all anymore.....no HO either. I'm running 500wrms on a 80amp stock alt and I don't have no dimming, and I know that your alt is bigger than mine

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
i have a audiobahn A6004T 4 channel amplifier for my pioneer speakers.. no subs.. i don't know about my gain set.. does that make a difference?
What should be my gain set?

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1475
You lights are dimming off some mid speakers? Wow, never heard that before.....Your gain should be set to the voltage coming out of your HU. Are you getting around 12v with your car off and close to 14 with your car on? If not, you have a bad battery or alt, or maybe even both

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
BTW where do i set the gain level.. is it the one that says LEVEL on my amplifier.. ? if so all it says is minimum and maximum..

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 979
level is the gain.. and remember, the lower the number - the higher it's actually set. This is telling your amp what the peak level from your deck is, so it can amplify the signal properly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
on my amp it says MINIMUT - MAXIMUM (from left to right).. what i did yesterday was put the gain to minimum and had the HU on full volume (62/62). and i turned the headlights on and kept on increasing the gain just befor the lights start dimming..
IS THIS FINE WHAT I DID?

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
MINIMUM** ^^

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 247
joe its better to have your HU set at 3/4 vol. not ful then adjust your gain

Bronze Member
Username: Timothy_314

Post Number: 37
lol the funny thing my car dimmed a lil befor i put sh!t in my car now sense i got my amp and sub and cap. no dim at all lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
but if i set the gain at 3/4 volume and later put my HU on full volume i'm sure the lights are going to dim again..
Or is there a reason for doing it at 3/4 volume..?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3354
yes.the reason for tuning your amps gain at 3/4 volume is b/c the little Mosfets inside the HU will begin to clip at almost full output onthe HU....which will send a clipped signal to your amp....which will send a clipped signal to your sub.:-)

some of the more expensive HU's.....like really expensive will not clip at full output....but for the most part...all of the mainstrem aftermarket HU's will.

tune your system so you never have to go past 3/4 volume, so you can avoid the HU's internal amp from clipping.:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
ohh. so you want me to set my gain at 3/4 volume and never go over 3/4 volume..??? if that's correct then thanks for the help if not let me know....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3356
EXACTLY:-)

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3725
You may want to check your grounds. Make sure you have a good ground and scrape off all the paint completly. This also can be the cause of dimming in some cases.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
my grounds are good.. i know.. thanks for help guys...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3373
no problem man.:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us