Lewass

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1397
which of the evos would you get? and how do they differ from the STi in handling, i saw they don't have the same HP as the STi but what you said made me think twice about getting one... thanks

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 168
same here i read all of that about the sti which dissapoints me i love them and wish i could afford one right now

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 699
Well I didn't mean to disapoint anybody. Like I said, I fell in love with it the second I drove it. It's just that paint is so weak. If you get a black one it will be pretty noticeable, with other colors, nobody would see them unless they looked up close for them.

I love both the STi and the Evo, so don't let it discourage you from getting one.

I haven't really looked into the Evo 9 as much as I did the 8, but definitely get the leather option. It's $3000 (and also a very rare option) but it comes with an amazing black leather interior with all black leather Recaro racing seats. I'm 6'5 and I can still sit behind the driver comfortably without him needing to move his seat from his normal position. The drivers seat also slides extremely far back, which is great for me to be able to get the perfect sitting position.

I was thinking I would get an RS, which is the fastest one, due to it being stripped down and the lightest, but I've got to get the leather, so I will probably get just the regular Evo with leather as the only option. The most expensive version is the MR, which has a 6 speed instead of 5. The MR is the nicest one, but also the most expensive. Depends what you are trying to accomplish. The RS is an absolute beast, but putting a soundsystem in would add a lot of weight.

If you are really about to get one, go to www.caranddriver.com and read all the articles they have ever featured on the Evo and STi.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1400
ok, so you drive an evo... and you fell inlove with the STi once your drove it, how much better was the handling and feel of the ride than the Evo? I wouldn't be able to ge the MR because of how much it is, but the RS or the 9 i believe? idk romen numerals.... the STi comes with stock 300 hp and 300 lbs of torque the evo comes with 286 hp or something like that, didn't look at torque or anything but yea..

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 702
I drive a bucket... Two of my best friends have an STi and a Evo, both black.

Like I said earlier, my favorite is the Evo. It is just a better handling car. It feels more solid over rough roads. The steering is the best on the planet. The only car that has better steering feel (that I have driven, and believe me, I have driven a lot of exotics so this is an educated statement) is the 97-2003 M5.

As far as horsepower goes, numbers don't mean anything. It's all about how the power makes it to the ground, and how light the vehicle is. If you got a ride in either car, you would completely forget that one has more horsepower than the other. The delivery is a bit different though, the Evo waits a second, then blasts you full force towards the redline. Whereas the STi has almost no wait, less than half a second, and you are flyin.

I haven't driven the Evo yet, but my friend drives it smoothly and aggressively and I have been in it through manuevers that would scare the hell out of anyone riding in it, and the tires didn't even squeal. Basically, from what I've experienced, I don't even need to test drive it to know I like it more than the STi.

The older Evo 8 RS can do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, whereas the other 2 models do a 4.6 on a perfect launch. The 06 STi can supposedly pull a 4.5...

I don't think the 9 is really any faster than the 8's, but they weren't trying to make it faster, they were trying to perfect it even further, which they did. The engine gets upgraded variable lift and valve timing (MIVEC, like honda's VTEC) and a number of other performance upgrades. They say the 9 is even more composed in turns with even less body roll (and believe me, there is barely any on the 8)

The car and driver articles really do a good job of describing the differences of each. I have read them all, and I don't disagree with much in those articles, they are on point as usual (Car and driver > Motor trend, road and track)

Upload

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1408
yea, but i looked it up, the STi that does a 4.25-4.5 60 is the WRX STi W1 which is 56k... so the handling on the evo 8 is better than the STi? ok, what about safty, which one is better that way?

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1413
why is it 5k more to get the MR, is all it has extra is the 6 speed? i wouldn't want the leather option, in Arizona, the leather gets WAY to hot during the summer, every car i've had sofar had leather and you can barely sit down with leather seets...

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1415
which one is better the RS or the IX?

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1426
bump

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 705
I think the subaru is probably a bit safer in an impact, although it is easier to accidentally get it sideways around a turn because of the rear wheel torque bias. I know the Evo can take a hit too though, my buddy's car was T-boned pretty bad by a guy who ran a red light, and he got hit right on his drivers door, he walked away without even a bruise.

The 9 is nicer, the RS is faster. Both are the same engine and everything, except the RS comes without a lot of nice features to save weight. (AC is an option, same with HID headlights and a few other things, on the RS)

The MR has a lot more than just a 6 speed, it has different suspension, some weight reduction pieces, a rear aero diffuser and a few other things. Check out the car and driver articles.

Bronze Member
Username: Paps

Yuma, AZ

Post Number: 52
lol fuhrer, i know what you mean. id actually prefer a car w/o the leather option too. i live in arizona aswell, and when its 115 degrees outside during the summer and the sun is shinning down on your car, it gets hard to hold on to your steering wheel because its probably like 150 degrees or something lol. but yea... i dont even want to imagine having leather seats... that would probably melt your @ss lol.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1431
yea, my second car, Linclon LS BLACK WITH BLACK LEATHER i had a bit of truble staying in the seats... it was my moms car but she gave it to me like 2 months before the lease was up... but yea, ARIZONA IS NOT GOOD FOR LEATHER OPTION LOL!! but at any rate, on the RS it doesn't come with the spoiler, i have actually grown to like those big spoilers, but the sopiler on that ZTi (photoshop STi thats what luwass said and i believe him) i like that spoiler, but since the RS is about 1k less than the 9 and the MR is 5k more than the 9, which would be better of the RS or the 9? if i got the RS i'd get the sopiler that was on that ZTi

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 712
That spoiler would look pretty silly on an Evo that didn't have a full body kit to go with it... If you get one new you can get the spoiler as an option ($500). It is carbon fiber too, and doesn't flex up and down at high speeds like the STi's does.. Hahah I just thought of a way to describe the flexing, the STi's spoiler has about 3 inches of P2P excursion @ 80 mph. The Evo has about .5 inches P2P excursion @ 80.

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1432
ok, kuz i usually drive at about 80-90 on high way so yea, im def going to get a body kit and all that good stuff, i'll get it plack pearl because i love that color, but i agree that spoiler would look pretty f@ggetish on a normal car, any car, i see alot of cars like that here in AZ, mexicans trying to be cool with an 87 civic hatch and a mongo mufler and a spoiler like that, with 4 different colored parts on their car lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us