Impendence rise question

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 520
My amp is rated @ 1ohm but if i wire a 0.5ohm(to try to get more output)to it after impendence rise would it be ok? BTW its a Planet Audio BB1250.1 amp

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2770
if you are going to run it daily at .5ohm, i would say NO.

at some freq the impedance will actually come close to your DCR.

but, for burps right at or just above your boxes tuning freq...it would prolly take it though, you may have to roll the volume into the burp though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 521
ok thanks, j/w what do you mean by roll the volume into the burp?

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2771
it is common in comps to wire amps WAY below the loads they are rated to be 'stable' at.

alot of times if you just burp amps, they will shut off (unpause the track w/ the volume already up)...sometimes if you start w/ the volume low and roll it up higher to the level you want to burp at, the amp will stay on and give you a full burp. (this allows the reactive load to take over)

i have see amps wired so low what something as simple as having 2 people in the vehicle at the time of the burp would shut them off....that little amount of volume change in the vehicle was enough to keep the impedance rise too low for the amp to burp

*disclaimer*
please...dont wire your amp below its rated 'stable' load unless you really know what you are doing...that is a sure fire way to kill an amp!

:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
yeah im just gonna run a 1ohm load ;)

Silver Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 108
what i usually do is overpower the subs by alot. for example a 300 watt sub with a 2 ohm resistance, the sub runs like at 2.2-2.5 ohms when u test it on a ohm meter. so i get an amp that puts out like 2 times the rms of that sub. then test the output voltage (and square it) on the amp going to the subwoofer and divide it by the actual resistance (like 2.2-2.5). this will give u actual power wattage ratings and i would try to keep that number as close to the rms rating of the subwoofer. be sure to test it using your cars resonant freq, this way u know ur getting the most power at the given frequency

Silver Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 109
if i am wrong someone correct me...

bump

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 382
Excellent advice Marshall!

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 895
You learn something new every day!
Marshall, what exactly is a "reactive load"?

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2774
your 'reactive load' is you load the amp sees at a given freq.

aka....box rise or impedance

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2548
YEPP well said Marshall, words out of my mouth... :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us