Sub box in the way?

Username: Gkaste

Post Number: 2
I am putting a new stereo in my car, a 2003 Tarus.

This car has fold down seats, which revele an opening of 12"x36". I plan on leaving the seats up most of the time, but I wanted to point out they are fold down becuase they (seem to be) made of wood and foam. All the rest of the area around that opening is metal (wheel wells, trunk floor, and huge support for rear deck). So if I have a sub box that covers up all that opening, firing toward the back of the car, when the sound reflects back foward, how does it get into the cabin of the car without losing nearly all its power? It either has to go through metal or the big beefy wooden sub box. Is it uncommon for rear decks to be covered in metal like mine is? So many people have their subs facing that way, there must be something I am missing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Garrett

Post Number: 6
Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1059
well the sub box and seats arent an impenatrable sound barrier , the sound does get by, but you are right it does lose alot of its power. thats why hatchbacks and suvs are so loud, because its one big cabin. some people create pathways , usually the area where the rear speakers are.. they say it makes a big diff in spl, im not sure though ive never done it myself

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1060
another thing that will help is heavy sound deadaning in the whole back trunk area .. helps get rid of rattles and reflect the sound waves towards the front more effectively www.secondskinaudio.com <- good product

Post Number: 8
What about just firing my speakers forward?

Post Number: 9
Does anyone here happen to fire their subs foward? How well does it work?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3640
you can fire the subs forward but you have to sealed the front of the box with the rest of the trunk. also folding down the seat is the loudest you can get but it will still sound okay with the seats up. just not as loud. thats how i have mine right now but with the backseat out.

Post Number: 10
Thanks..I may just do that. I can quite easily seal it off. If my subs are slighyl bigger than the openening (openening is 12" exactally, and alignment of 12" subs might be dificult, so might be off a little) do you think that would be a problem? I do plan on setting them back a couple inches, by the way, so that there are no problems with the sub hitting the seat

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3641
yeah mine are back like 5 inches cause it won't go any further up. lol. for now i just rolled up some foam and wedged it in between the box and the trunk. that worked out well for me. its temporary but it did the job so now my bass is loud.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I like the idea of having the subs firing foward. It helps protect them a lot (especally since I do use my trunk a lot), and I wont have to insulate the whole damn trunk ($$$).

The only downside I see is now my ugly amps are showing off, instead of my nice subs, but eh, not that big of a deal, building for the music not for the show.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us