Incorrect Install

Username: Nmlbasshead

Post Number: 1
I've been a bass head for a couple years and basically been throwing stuff together and learning the hard way. When it breaks don't do that no more. Hard to find help around here. So if anyone can give me a hand and tell me if I got things set up right I'd appreciate it. I have some decent stuff now and don't want it dying on me. I'll win no competitions im sure but its what I got. I have two 12" DHD flat cone speakers, dual voice coil. 1000w max and they run at 4 ohms they say. 2nd hand so maybe they'll take better dunno. They are in a ported box dunno the cu offhand. Powered by a lanzar vibe 268 2000w. I don't think its bridged or any of that. I also have a 1 farad cap. I was told I needed one and a friend had one cheap so added that too. It's loud yes but it sounds funny, maybe thats distortion??? I don't know what alot of the tech. terms mean but I want to learn so I can get it working well. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Ask any questions and I'll answer as best I can or find out the info. Thanks!

Post Number: 2
I found the product # there DHD NTX6812

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 824
Remember that max ratings mean nothing. Always go by the RMS or continuous power ratings.
Second, no need for the cap.
Third, what do you mean by funny? It could be distortion. Make sure you're not clipping or you could cause your sub, or amp, a premature death.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 469
Well for the system he has and probably a stock electrical system a cap will help stabilize or ease the electrical system with the car running but by no means improve it. Jake is right about the max ratings and same for the amp, but the DHD should match well with the amp since rms for the usb is 500rms. As for sounding funny, there's alot of things. Could be the subs(mechnical noise), could be the box( port noise), and could be clipping/distortion. While we all can say what we think, it would come down to how well you understand what we're talking about. So if this doesn't make sense just say something. Also you may want to take it to a local shop and have someone look at it also and ask them what they think they hear wrong with it.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 826
The cap won't ease the electrical system at all, it'll just burden the alternator more... But that's a different topic.
I agree with you on the "sounding funny" though. Could be a variety of different situations.

Post Number: 4
So I should ditch the cap? I understand most of what your saying but have no clue on the clipping. For distortion could that come from the factory speakers? The surrounds are cracked but they sound fine as far as I can tell until I crank the HU nearly all the way then they crack but I usually don't listen to it that high. Will they distort at all?

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 831
Here's some reading material, check it out:
www.bcae1.com - Tons of information.
http://glasswolf.net/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://glasswolf.net/caraudio/charging.html

Bcae has information on clipping.
The other two links tell you what you need to know about capacitors and charging systems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us