Powering a 12w7

Bronze Member
Username: Jundi

Post Number: 25
I blew my kickers last week, So i decided to go big or go home and i bought a 12w7. I have two alpine mrd m501, they are about 550 watts rms @ 2 ohm a peice would i be able to run both amps to the one sub. Or is that just stupid and im just asking for trouble.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1446
You have two of them? Well that's hard since the W7 is a 3 ohm DVC.

So you're looking at more like 450-500W RMS to each coil. Other than that, it would work. But you'd be better off with a bigger higher quality amplifier IMO.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
The 12w7 is a single voice coil sub. Thats my problem is running two amps to a single voice coil.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1455
Oh, you've got the SVC model...

It also comes in DVC...But anyways...

I don't think you can run two amps to one VC alone. Your best bet would be to sell those amps, and put the money towards a bigger/better amplifier, preferably mono.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
The only w7 that comes in a dvc is the 13.5. The 8 10 and 12 only come in svc. So you don't think i can run those amps. The only problem with the w7 is that it is 3ohm. No too many amps can power them.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1458
Whoops lol. Dang, I'm not reading tonight lol.

Actually, any amp that is lower than 3 ohm stable could run it, but with a reduced RMS power than the amp would do, at say 2 ohms. Not a huge difference, but it's there.

You could get an RE 12.1 or JL 1000/1 and it would be fine. The JL amp will cost more and is of better quality, but the RE amp will cost less, give you a good bit more power, but the quality is a little less.

Both amps are VERY good though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Yeah i think i might have to look into selling my amps and getting a new one. I mean if there is no way i can hook them up together, then theres nothing left for me to do. thanks allot for your help

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1465
No problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us