Can I add an amplifier and a subwoofer to a factory HU?

Paladin
Unregistered guest
Can I add an amplifier and a subwoofer to a factory HU?
I own a 2006 peugeot 407 and a Pioneer TS-W2504SPL subwoofer in a ported box, please help

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11170
sure can.
you just need an amp with high level inputs, or a line-out converter to adapt the rear speaker wires to an RCA level signal.

Paladin
Unregistered guest
OK, thanx.
Can Pioneer GM7100M do the job, and what else do i need?
http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9989&taxonomy_id=25 -29

jrmay
Unregistered guest
If you get a line-out converter, you can use any amplifier you want, including the Pioneer amp you linked. A line-out converter is basically a little box that you splice into your HU's (or factory amp's) harness. It takes your HU's speaker-level outputs and creates a preamp-level signal that can be fed into another amplifier. I've seen single-channel converters for as little as 10USD.

Alternatively, you could splice into your rear speaker wires and feed your amp directly. But you'll need an amp that has speaker-level or high-level inputs. Lots of amps support this but I don't see that feature listed for the Pioneer amp you linked.

In either case, there's one more thing to keep in mind: some factory sound systems are designed knowing that the rear factory speakers are small so they put a high-pass filter on the rear speaker outputs inside the HU and send all the bass to your front speakers. If this is the case with your particular setup, you'll need to splice into your front speaker outputs...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us