Tuning

Username: Awm44444

USA

Post Number: 1
this is AM, my account messed up or sumthin so i made a new one. ne way, wut exactly is the tuning of the port? is it the point at which the sub is the loudest, or the lowest freq a sub can handle, or sumthin else?

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 575
damn....i wud b crying by now...

tuning the port is lenghtening and/or widening it to make a certain frequency louder....lik tuning a box to 35hz will make 35hz louder than the other frequencies

WHY GO PORTED?

Efficiency is the easiest one word reason for choosing ported over a sealed box. Everything is better with a little efficiency sprinkled on it. Ask any motor builder what they would do to a motor if it were theirs and they'd say turbo charge it! What does turbo charging do for an engine? It raises the efficiency. Why not apply this same thing to your audio system. Making the most out of the air space you have for a subwoofer enclosure, is the first step in raising the efficiency of your system. This means that you will utilize this space in the most efficient manner possible.

Designing a ported a.k.a. vented enclosure will not only give you added output, but can give you more low-frequency extension. This means louder and lower! Since the speaker system is the least efficient part of the whole audio chain, would it not make sense to make it as efficient as possible? Of coarse it does.

MORE SOUND, BETTER BASS

This is why venting is basically free output, and free sound quality. Local shops tell you that a small sealed box is the best way to go? Hit up your local hi-end home audio store and find out how many of those $20,000.00 pairs of speakers are sealed designs. You won't find many. Think efficiency as you read up in the DD tutorial section, this will help you clear all of that smoke out of your eyes that most car audio manufacturers have been pumping all along.

HOW DOES A PORT WORK

Think of a box port not as a vent in the terms of a venting path for air to travel into and out of a box, but rather as extra cone area that is propagating acoustic energy from the enclosure to the cabin. The air in a port is fixed; it is trapped within the confines of the port walls. When the cone moves there is a corresponding change to the pressure in the box, that pressure change then causes the trapped air in the port to move either forward or backward. It moves as a solid unit, just like a speaker cone does.

MORE RADIATING AREA

A passive radiator and a vented port work on the same theory. When a port mass moves back and forth, a pressure wave (sound wave) is sent into the cabin. The larger the port, the larger the radiating area is that creates the pressure. Tuning a port is tuning the mass of the trapped air in the port to the air mass in the box volume.

For all out no holds barred SPL efficiency, rule of thumb is the larger the box, the higher the output. The larger the box, the larger the ports can be for a given frequency tuning range. There is no substitute for cubic inches. Drivers like our 9500 series can achieve high efficiency in moderate sized vented enclosures (3 to 4 cubic feet) but will continue to increase in output with increase in volume and port size. Multiple drivers in such enclosures can yield a frightening amount of output and should be used with caution.

USA

Post Number: 2
k well im tuning my sx box to 28hz, does that mean that ill still b able to hit high freq loud, ill b able to hit low notes very very loud, and ill still b able to hit like 20hz (i no its inaudible, but i still wanna hit it) pretty good too? also, if a subsonic filter on an amp is set to like 30hz, can the sub hit notes below 30?

USA

Post Number: 3
bump, and also does ne1 no the lowest i can set the subsonic filter for the re 12.1 amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 581
Yes,u will be able to hit all frequencies as normal its just the the port tune freq. will be louder than the rest!!!......

The subsonic filter stops frequencies below the set freq...so if u set it to 30hz u wont be able to get anything below 30hz.

USA

Post Number: 4
k so wut happens if i were to play for example a 25hz tone and the amp subsonic filter is set to 30? also, wut is the point of a subsonic filter? why would sum1 want their sub 2 hit low notes?

Silver Member

Post Number: 590
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=define%3Asubsonic&btnG=S earch

a subsonic filter stops frequencies that you cant hear from goin to your sub....it also prevents your sub from unloading because of 2 low a freq.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us