Lighting/wireing

Username: Adddisorder

Post Number: 10
ok i got some lights to put under the front seats or the dash of my 94 626. do i need to run a = - wire directly from the battery to power them or is there another way.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 575
You could run it from your fuse box, or even tap into the wire that goes to your cigarette lighter.. Just make sure the fuse is large enough to handle the additional load.

Personally, I drilled a hole in my center divider above my shifter (drive an auto) and put in a switch..

Also - if you have amps installed, and a relay, you could just wire it to the remote wire, that way the lights will turn on with your head unit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
ok sounds good but how do i go about hooking it up to my fuse box....i dont have an amp yet but i should in a few weeks...

Silver Member

Post Number: 577
Hmm, well. Do you want it to turn on with your car? Or do you want to manually switch it?

If you want it to turn on with your car, simply attach it to your accessory fuse.. You can do this, by either finding the output wire of that terminal, or by buying an adapter clip for the fuse, that actually has a wire. Failing either of these two, you could simply attach a wire direct to the metal of the fuse. (make sure you dont put the wire on the metal side making the initial connection, though, as this would leave your lights unfused.)

If you want it switched, you could do the same thing, but put in a switch, which would mean that you couldnt accidentally leave them on when the car was off, but still had the versatility of being able to have them off when the car is on.

If you want to be able to have them on without the car, simply attach a positive wire to any fused 12v source wire (making sure you have enough headroom in your fuse, or run a new wire..) then put in a switch for it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i tryed messing with the fuses and couldnt figure it out, so i know where my 12v starter wire is should i connect it to that? or maybe something easyer?

Silver Member

Post Number: 584
Mat hooker, try doing this. Since lights dont draw too much, you can use a small wire if you want..Which makes this viable.

Behind your dash, or console, find the 12v power wire leading to your cigarette lighter, or 12v power outlet. Splice this wire, and use it, switched, to the lights. Some cars have this wire on the accessory fuse, so it wont work without the car being on for the cigarette lighter. If this is the case in your car (can test it with a test light), then you wont need a switch to turn them off, they'll turn off with your car.

If it stays a live wire even with the car off, you'll need a switch, (like $1 at a kragen/auto america/pep boy store), or a way to disconnect either the ground or power wires when you want them to turn off.

Seth

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
ok i finally figured it out thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us