Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1933
anyone want to be the guinea pig?
http://www.hybrid-audio.com/

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5372
I was looking at it. I may just be your guinea pig, wait until I get my truck on the road and it might just see the 63 or 83s. I've got some faith in him.

Bad part is you know the high end line will be out later this year, and as well as these did in IASCA, I can only dream of how good his reference comps are.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 1934
"Bad part is you know the high end line will be out later this year."

yeah, that's what i say. i wonder what the price difference will be though. regardless, it's comforting to have an actual competitor (who's succesful) design a comp system knowing what works and what doesn't. otherwise i would still be skeptical even though the 240 won. gary biggs and mark eldridge won with jbl and kickers for goodness sake (although, i heard that jbls are greatly underrated). install seemingly starts to account for that 80% at a certain point. but again, i also have faith in scott. look forward to your review.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5377
I've seen a lot of people commenting on what they heard at CES (their 63 set) and they said they sounded great. But he's only 2 hours away from me, so it's not like I'm going to lose anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1941
sweet. that's good to hear. wish i could have gone to the show. don't know a whole lot of folks who went this year.
i just got back from atlanta yesterday. would have been nice to stop by the shop, but i'm sure they were all at ces anyway. think you can ask those you know if they had a chance to see scotts new project?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5382
I just saw it on forums, mainly ECA. Nobody I'm particularly familiar with.

I have seen Scotts commentary, and he has said these run circles around the Iridiums he was using. And I've seen that statement backed up by those that have heard the 240 and the comps at CES.

This is exactly what I've wanted to see in car audio for a while, though. I love an untreated paper cone (if done right), what I don't like is when a manufacturer damps it with so much crap that it sounds lifeless. Alpines F#1 Status comps are an example, they aren't anything near as good as the Scan-speak Revelators they're based upon.

The crossover points are a dream for a car system, 200hz and 8,000 is perfect for a stable soundstage. The question is if the 3" gets it done, and from the opinions I've heard, it's a dream to listen to. I also like the idea of a 3/4" soft dome for upper frequencies, that is really needed. Really opens up the possibilities with better imaging characteristics and top end w/o being too sharp. I'm anxious to see the price and get a listen of these.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1948
" I'm anxious to see the price and get a listen of these."

me too. maybe they will rival those SEAS "ear-muff removers.":-)
from what i understand there are a significant number of scott haters out there because of his success. like car audio is supposed to be some underground cult or something.
i'm extremely pleased too that he's done so well at something i merely enjoy as a hobby
(i guess since he's an environmental engineer, it's technically a hobby for him too). it would be nice to have more actual experienced philes (cough, cough.. jonathan) designing equipment for cars. the off-shore home audio market is incredible imo. but then again, there is a "market" for such expensive products. likely no longer so in C.A.
as for price on the hybrids, i think it will be worth it, so long as it's not up there with (or even approaching) the Be's.

i looked at ECA. couldn't find the thread on the car. if you come acccross it, i would love to get a peak. scott maintains that he's going to be working on a website for it and won't reveal anything until the next few weeks. this just after he insisted that he would post right after thanks giving (what a tease, :P)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5385
There aren't even any sneak pics on the Buwalda Hybrids forum, I doubt ECA would have anything.

I think one of Scotts objectives in this is to shy away from ridiculously overpriced, undervalued car audio equipment. The Focals are just a joke for the price. You could say the same about Rainbow References or Platinums, but the Rainbow Plats and Refs smack the Focals down in build quality, and IMO sound a ton better. And they're handmade in Germany by people that take quality more seriously. I refuse to support the French anyway.

"from what i understand there are a significant number of scott haters out there because of his success. like car audio is supposed to be some underground cult or something."

People didn't (or don't) like him because he went against the grain of traditional beliefs and won with it. Even little things like having tweets in pillars is still considered a cardinal sin by many. Some people have difficulty separating what works from a theoretical standpoint and what works to the human ear. A bunch of guys are sitting around in their little labs, comparing specs of multiple drivers trying to get everything perfect on paper and spending countless hours rebuilding the entire interior of their car based on "proven" acoustic principles. Choosing amplifiers and head units and processors with .0001% less distortion than the other, choosing speakers with the best waterfalls, distortion specs and FR they can get, and installing them all within 1" of each other, looking at anything a measuring device can give them. These are the kind that sling around typical audiophile snake oil, assuming their ears are perfect measuring devices. Then Scott comes along using common sense and what works for him, takes finals due to his no-frills approach, solid installation and expert tuning. I say let the guys be hate all they want.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5387
"gary biggs and mark eldridge won with jbl and kickers for goodness sake (although, i heard that jbls are greatly underrated)"

JBLs are underrated, Kickers comps are pretty underrated, too. Both are solid performers, but I wouldn't put them as the best of the best. Gary Biggs and Mark Eldridge could probably take finals with Sony if they wanted too, though. They're just that good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us