Stereo VS. Mono

Silver Member
Username: Racer501

ND USA

Post Number: 210
yea this is kinda a stupid question but what is the big difference between mono and stereo i know if u dont do it correctly in stereo it wont sound as good but if u can get it right in stereo can u tell any difference between mono and stereo? Example 1 amp with 2 subs the subs are wired up in stereo VS. 1 amp with 2 subs wired in mono

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 247
do it in mono...but for subs it doesnt matter...its just that the amps made for subs are mono amps...one channel..bc the base in music only needs one channel..if you do it in stereo it wont sound different

mono may be better...correct me if im wrong anyone

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 264
If you have a two channel amp and can run it max stereo mode then do that, amps dos not work as hard.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 646
are you talking about the Stereo and Mono settings on HU's?? i know alpines have this option. it only affects the sub pre out. i heard this changes the voltate of the pre out, mono is higher. not totally sure if this is correct though.
but with subs, i don't think its not gonna affect the sound. speakers, it prob will.

Bronze Member
Username: Sexytroca

Dallas, Texas United states

Post Number: 18
thats true i have a two channel boss amp pushing two dubs and it sounds good, i mean for a boss. depending on your goal, you probably wont find an amp with two channels that can take a two ohm load so depending on what ohmage your trying to reach. wat model subs and amp, depending on the model a two channel gives u more to experiment with. mono channel amps are easier to deal with, i dont believe either is better though

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 211
well im lookin at these kicker amps...a 04KX450.2 that can be briged to 450 watts at 4 ohms a 04KX850.2 2CH amp that puts out 425 watts for each channel or a 04KX400.1 1 CH amp that puts out 400watts at 2ohms mono and im lookingh at Eclipse Aluminum 12" subs SW7124DVC-T2 450 watts RMS dual 2 or 4 ohm voice coals or else im gona take a drop in quality and go with Kicker CVR's 12" 400 watts RMS dual 4 or 2 ohm Voice coils im pretty set on the eclipses tho

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1746
subs offer the ability to run in mono because the waves at that frequency are longer than the distance between your two ears. thus they are perceived as one wave anyway. a stereo a/b signal is going to be cleaner and less distorted than a mono class d amp. but again, at such low frewuencies, the difference is hardly audible. that's why class d amps cost so much less than a/b amps or class a amps. it's easier/cheaper to produce the more distorted power.

Bronze Member
Username: Themax96se

USA

Post Number: 97
Seems to me that Class D amps are ussualy more expensive.

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 213
so basically there is no difference between mono and sterio audibly when it comes to subs then? cause i would be saving about 150$ by going mono 25 watts of power tho or i coulg to for a 4ohm bridged and still save 120$ and fully power the subs to there RMS rating

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 215
so basically there is no difference between mono and sterio audibly when it comes to subs then? cause i would be saving about 150$ by going mono 25 watts of power tho or i coulg to for a 4ohm bridged and still save 120$ and fully power the subs to there RMS rating

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1751
"Seems to me that Class D amps are ussualy more expensive."

actually, the other way around. in a class d, the circuitry that makes up the majority of the actual amplifier is left out. the outputs connect the power supply directly to the speakers. hence the smaller size and less expensive cost.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 748
I could be wrong, but isn't the point of stereo, just that, to be in stereo? So if all the bass/mid/treble is being played on the left, and none on the right, that's what makes it stereo and not mono as far as sound? I know that's how it works at home with my receiver...I can run it in stereo or mono.

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 217
ok im lost now i thought there wasnt a difference between stereo and mono when it comes to subs?

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 218
but yes or no and explain please ...in car audio can u tell a difference between sterio and mono when u wire 2 subs to an amp

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 295
no, i have not ever been able to hear difference

Silver Member

ND USA

Post Number: 219
ok thanks ty
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts