Mounting an amp on the box - DON"T !!!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3685
Yes i also posted this in the Sub section - but i know not every1 reads both sections ......

Thought i'd share this cause i still see ppl doing/posting about it & i know some ppl are just too damn lazy to go search/read so here it is " -

(Found on www.bcae1.com no 23 about 1/4 way down)

Amplifier mounting:
DO NOT mount an amplifier on your subwoofer box. I know that there has been a great deal of discussion over mounting an amplifier to an enclosure and many people do it all of the time with no problems but those people probably build good enclosures from 3/4" (or thicker) MDF with extensive bracing. Most people (especially young impatient people) are too lazy to do that and build unbraced enclosures from 5/8 MDF. These enclosures will flex considerably more than a proper enclosure and will likely cause amplifier failure if the amp is mounted to the enclosure.

REASON:
When the woofer(s) moves in or out, the box flexes and therefore causes the sides of the box to vibrate. This vibration is transferred to the amplifier mounted to the box. All of the electrical components in the amplifier have mass. Inertia (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest) tells them to stay at rest, the box vibration is trying to make them move. The energy from the box's vibration is transferred to the components through the electrical leads which are soldered into the circuit board. All of this will cause the components to break loose and therefore cause the amplifier to fail prematurely. Basically, the amplifier will commit suicide! :-) I'm not telling you this because someone told me it was bad. I've been repairing amplifiers since ~1985. Virtually every amplifier that's come into my shop with parts rattling around inside them have been mounted on the speaker box. It causes the legs of the semiconductors to break (which causes amplifier failure). It causes the capacitors to break off of the board (which can cause catastrophic amplifier failure). It causes solder joints to break on the semiconductors mounted to the heat sink. It causes transformer windings to grind into one another (which causes lots of smoke to pour out of your amplifier). People who repeatedly tell others to mount their amps on the speaker box because they've never had a problem remind me of people who drink and drive and say there's nothing wrong with it because they've never crashed their vehicle. Eventually, in both cases, problems will arise.

NOTE:
Mounting the amplifier on the enclosure also allows someone to steal BOTH your amps and speakers at the same time with no extra effort. It's bad enough to have one or the other stolen but losing amps and speakers (and anything else mounted to your speaker box) is really gonna suck.

Username: Hotbetz

Post Number: 2
Just thought i would have my pennies worth.
Surely the subject of this post should be, "Make your box out of at least 3/4" MDF."
But a very valid point about the thieving scum bags!
If your going to mount your amp on your box. Bolt the Bugger Down!!!

Username: Jester10788

New Jersey U.S. of A!

Post Number: 1
Thanks for the info Rovin. I was actually planning on mounting my amp to the box. I always thought it looked nicest on the box, but i definitly don't want issues with my amp failing, regardless of whether or not my box is made out of 3/4MDF (which it is) or not. I also definitly don't want anyone stealing my system which is something I am worring about. Anyone that looks in the back of my Expedition's windows would probably see the box and amp. What are some some alternative places to mount the amp that looks nice but won't cause damage. I've always had this OCD about things being symetrical and not just placed anywhere random.

Username: Hotbetz

Post Number: 3
Iv had amps mounted under a false floor and on the back of the seat.
False floor looks sweet but involves a lot of work, and may make it hard to accessthe spare tire. The back of the seat is ideal because its very secure and still looks good with a box next to it.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 496
I've always told people if they're mounting an amp to a box, they shoudl actually mount the amp to another board, and mount that to the box. This is just a little extra security. And people, dont be stupid. If you're mounting anything to your box. PRE-DRILL YOUR HOLES!

Seth

James Garrett
Unregistered guest
Does mounting to the back of the seat hurt an amplifier? I just purchased a Pioneer PRS-D3000SPL and am planning to put it on the seat. I don't know if the vibration from the sub being in front of it would do damage or not.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3689
James Garrett

no- on your seat wouldn't cause any harm .....

Username: Jester10788

New Jersey U.S. of A!

Post Number: 3
I think I'll just mount mine infront of the Sub Box (closest to the rear of the SUV). That shouldn't cause any harm being infront of the 2 subs right? Either that or on the back of the seat depending on how high the sub box goes.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 803
mount an amplifer to the floor of your cargo area? You drive an SUV, why would you want to render it useless by taking up all the floor space?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us