Little help please

Username: Aaronharris121

Post Number: 1
ok i just got two 5 x 7 speakers in and im trying to install them. i also have a blaupunkt head unit installed already. all i did to wire the speakers the first time was positive to positve and negative to negative..i did that on each side..but is there a better way to wire them or what? help is appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2095
You did it right...all of the 'complex' wiring comes in when you hook up a component set of speakers or a subwoofer.

Post Number: 2
ok thanks..what would be a good amp for two 100 rms and 200 peak watts speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4950
There are plenty. It'll all depend on your budget.

Post Number: 3
probaly between 50 and 100 dollars.

Post Number: 4
are there any good amps in that range?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4970
Yes, try Xtant/PPI amps on eBay.

Username: Brahmaman

Post Number: 4
I need help...I drive a 1996 ford mustang gt and the speakers in this car are 6X8 front and back...I was thinkin about putting in just 6"? what do you guys thinks and what kind of speakers should I get...thank you

Anonymous

i think youre gonna want bass so leave the back speakers 6x8
(that will blend low bass to high bass good)

6 inch speakers dont have good low bass unless they are in a bass reflex enclosure tuned for low bass

Username: Brahmaman

Post Number: 5
thanks....do you have reccomendations on what brand speakers.....b/c i havent found too many good 6x8's

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 789
JL makes some decent 6x8s, but if you can, find a way to use round speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

Post Number: 181
6" round midbass speakers will put out better bass then 6x8's oval speakers. they will have very low sound quality.

Anonymous

im afraid your wrong.. theres two extra inches of cone area on a 6x8 compared to a 6 inch round

the 6x8s are gonna be run free air so cone flex isnt an issue at all (if it were in a 6x8 box then it would fold in half a lot)

because theres 2 more inches of cone for the 6x8 thats like saying a 6 inch speaker has more bass then a 8 inch speaker

i chose infinity 6x9s specifically for this reason.. i had some round kicker midranges that i could throw in a wood plate but i knew if i were going to do the system right i would need an equivalent to 8 inch speakers in the door to blend a certain gap of bass frequency between my 5.25 speakers in the front and the subs in the trunk

now starting at 200hz down to 20hz is a lot more flat

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 790
there's never a justification to use 6x9s to create a front stage. If you didn't want to use 5.25s, buy 6.5s, not a new pair of 6x9s. Excessive distortion is still and issue, even when run ib. Oval speakers are a crutch used by car makers and have no place in a good aftermarket system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
To put it simple...if you want clean and clear midbass get a round speaker.

I have 5x7s in my car now (short on money) and its just horrible compared to a set of components.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
By the way, I didnt say that the 6s would be louder than the 6x8s. :-)

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 791
I don't see why you insist that a 6" round is louder than a 6x8, there's absolutely no basis to say that.

Anonymous

the only thing said almost correctly is..
'there's never a justification to use 6x9s to create a front stage.'
(theres not enough room in the stock doors to hear the bass 6x9s put out.. so its a waste)

two way 6x8s and 6x9s at extremely high volumes start to distort vocals because the cone is also moving bass like a subwoofer would (down to about 40hz)

the only reason component speakers are better for vocals is because it has a crossover that doesnt let the woofer get too high in the frequency band

tell a 6x9 to stop at 3500hz and its like a subsonic filter for subs (brings back clarity at high volume)

it boils down to this.. if you buy a quality pair of 6x9s that handle 100 watts rms and run them at 75 watts rms you wont be able to tell the difference between the 6x9s and 6 inch round
the bass coming from the 6x9s will be more pleasing because even at their highest bass frequency they are more audible then 6 inch speakers

the only way to distort the 100 watt speakers at 75 watts is to distort the amp or the radio

6x9s only suck in boxes and tight places
6x9s are suppose to bridge the gap between small round front speakers and the subs
quality three way 6x9s dont distort vocals unless the speakers are being overpowered or if the amp or radio is distorting
plus 6x9s deliver better male vocals (warmer/deeper) then any round speaker up to 6 1/2 inch

clean and clear bass/midbass/vocals/treble from 6x8s and 6x9s is very easy to achieve (just dont expect to get that from pioneer)

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 792
"two way 6x8s and 6x9s at extremely high volumes start to distort vocals because the cone is also moving bass like a subwoofer would (down to about 40hz)"

-NOBODY in their right mind would cross their front stage over at 40Hz if they have subwoofers, as you said you do.

"the only reason component speakers are better for vocals is because it has a crossover that doesnt let the woofer get too high in the frequency band"

-There is a reason no good diver designers make a good set of component 6x9s. Oval speakers are plagued with high distortion across the frequency range

"the bass coming from the 6x9s will be more pleasing because even at their highest bass frequency they are more audible then 6 inch speakers"

-again, you're using 6x9s as a crutch. distorted bass in your front stage is never, ever pleasing. using properly powered 6.5s will create all the midbass your system will need. True bass is created by subwoofers, you don't need that in your front stage.

"the only way to distort the 100 watt speakers at 75 watts is to distort the amp or the radio"

-unless its an oval speaker in which case it will distort all the time.

"plus 6x9s deliver better male vocals (warmer/deeper) then any round speaker up to 6 1/2 inch"

-if your inexpensive 6x9s have an ugly peak in the lower vocal region, thats the only way I could see how you'd get that impression.

"clean and clear bass/midbass/vocals/treble from 6x8s and 6x9s is very easy to achieve (just dont expect to get that from pioneer)"

-or any other 6x9

Now in summary, 6x9" drivers are terrible, 2-way 6x9s are worse, and 3-way 6x9s give me nightmares. You will not find a single competitor who'll use them to create a front stage, unless maybe if its a brands demo car, and no good speaker makers design 6x9s for the reasons discussed earlier. They somehow find a way to get a flat response across the frequency range with their insufficient round speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 149
i tell you what i am changing my orion 6x9s in my titan to 6.5 components, if yopu have bass then all you want is mids and highs from speakers anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 666
"You did it right...all of the 'complex' wiring comes in when you hook up a component set of speakers or a subwoofer." - Jexx what do you mean by that?

With components, don't you just run the speaker wires (from the amp or HU) to the X-over, then out to the component tweeter and midwoofer? Doesn't sound to complicated to me.

Although, I had fun tearing out my seat panel last week checking the back 5x7's.

I figured out my speaker problem on the rear right speaker. I messed with the wiring harness, and when I move all the wires BEHIND the HU to the right, it kicks on, but when they move around again, it kicks off. I think something is loose, but I can't find it to save my life. Suggestions? I check the obvious, like is the harness in all the way. I have all the wires electrically taped where L&M (local install shop) spliced the LOC in when I had my stock HU, so nothing is touching anything it shouldn't be. Help! Hehe.

This is mainly why I've decided to go with just a set of components, but will they be as loud as my 4 5x7's, if they are powered properly?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 667
"i tell you what i am changing my orion 6x9s in my titan to 6.5 components, if yopu have bass then all you want is mids and highs from speakers anyway."

Yes, Ty, that's right to a point, but anything above 500Hz, a sub can't reach (nor would you want it to reach IMO). And if you're still below 1KHz, I still consider that the "bass" range, so a midwoofer does that, it hits the "mid" bass lines.

A midwoofer won't hit frequencies that an actual midrange would reach though, at least not the higher ones. But I think that's why car audio tweeters are 1" vs. a standard home audio tweeter of 3/4", in order to make up for the lack of mid-highs.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1509
a circle is perfect. an oval is not. when dealing with sound, you want all things to be as equal as possible. that's why you want to have the same speaker on different channels, identical pathlengths, yadah yah. the driver vibrates to reproduce sound, and the most basic parameter of a driver that you want to address is the shape. the equal distances (from center) are going to contribute to better sonic imaging, ensuring that those vibrations eminating from the speakers stay as consistent and uniform as possible. again, this is before you consider the other properties that we obsess over when deciding on "the best" speaker. if you're not as @nal as some, then 6x9 might fare well for you. read up on doppler distortion for additional insight.

with regards to crossing over front stage drivers at 40hz, i had mine crossed there, Glass crosses his at 40 or 45hz (can't remember), and scott buwalda's altima was crossed at 31hz (and the sub was used for...:-) ). just depends on your slope, vehicle, and overall system.

Anonymous

until you compare waves on a screen there isnt an audible difference

im using 6x9s as a crutch because i cant afford to put three 6.5 inch speakers in the door to make up for one 8 inch

'using properly powered 6.5s will create all the midbass your system will need'

without fiberglass those 6.5s are gonna move air like a loose @$$h0le

using 6.5s and subs both crossed at 80hz.. your gonna have a bass gap that only a cone in middle with the sub and front can fill

6x9s have stock holes rather then making pods for 8 inch speakers

the psi on a 6x9 cone in free air is far less then the arguement of the sealed solobarics
while the round ones ripple all over my 6x9s are guaranteed no flex on the widest part of the cone
count that as half the flex of a round speaker

youve never had the pleasure of hearing quality 6x9s

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 793
well mike, I know that you and Scott use 3-ways, which is a totally different story. I don't know what glass is using in the car you're talking about, but I can't hear any directionality in sound until I get around 80 Hz, although some people might be more @nal about that than others, but I can't personally tell the difference.

oh and anonymous, no one has had the pleasure of hearing quality 6x9s.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us