What can be done with this 10" Sony Sub - Help

Username: 8trackkid

San Luis Obispo, Ca USA

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone...

I am designing my new system using older components and limited $$$. The high end is covered, now all I need to do is design my sub system around an old RF 2 channel 400W amp (100.2) and very limited funds for the subs (under $75). Most of the newer inexpensive subs are very inefficient, so the best I could find was a Sony Xplod 10" for $30 NIB. It looks decently built (lead wires woven into spider, butyl surround, decent magnet, etc.) God this is a step down from my older RF Audiophile 12's, wish I still had those.

My question is 1. What other inexpensive subs are there for this price range and 2. Would a carefully designed ported box for this 10" be better than 2 lower power handling 10's (older subs with lower RMS requirements). I've always gone with sealed enclosures, but now I have to make the best with what I have. I can build a high quality box, get a flared port, etc.

Any help or opinions you can give me will be much appreciated!!!

stranger
Unregistered guest
Well, the Cerwin Vega HED on ebay for around $45. They are great for the price. 150watt rms.

San Luis Obispo, Ca USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help Stranger. I listened to the HED at BestBuy and it sounded terrible, but it was in a WAY TOO SMALL ported box, so who knows what it would sound like in the proper enclosure. It seemed to clean up after placing my hand over the port exit.

It seems like everyone here has had a bad experience with Sony subwoofers. I never knew that they were that bad, might have to look into the CV HED that you're talking about.

Any other suggestions?...

stranger
Unregistered guest
Well, there is a guy I know that has two of them with the right sealed enclosure and they sound great for the price. Your right, they were probably in the wrong size enclosure. You might could check some Fosgate punch line subs. Ebay would be your best bet to look I believe.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 451
most CV subs dont work well in ported boxes, but in a 1 cubic foot sealed box, those 10" HED's with 100w rms can pound harderthan any sony you throw at them, and last alot longer too

San Luis Obispo, Ca USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks Its_Bacon for the response. I know that CV's are good subs, so I'm probably gonna just go with 2 10" HED's in a sealed wedge for my 99 Altima. The Sony's didn't look bad quality, but their cones are very flimsy looking where they meet the pole piece, like they could seperate.

Now the question is whether to keep my rear fill or to leave the rear speaker locations open to hear the subs better. Wonder if you get a better cabin gain if you leave a path between the cab and the trunk.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 453
you can try without speakers there then try with them, see which you like better
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us