4 Ohm on a subwoofer vs 2 Ohm

Bronze Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 23
I've been always used to have 2 Ohm subs but now im looking at the alpine type-r sub and the sub is a 4 ohm sub, so how would i hook it up to make it sound like the 2 ohm because i heard 2 ohm is more powerful?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 789
I have never heard of a single voice coil 2 ohm sub. Are you talking about a dual 2 ohm sub? Anyway, dual 2 ohm cannot be wired to 2 ohms by itself, if you have (2) dual 2 ohm subs, then you can wire them together for a single 2 ohm load.

Then if you are talking about a Type r, they either come in dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm. If you have just one dual 4 ohm, you can wire it in parallel for a single 2 ohm load, that way you can get the most out of a mono amp. It all depends on what you have and need.

Bronze Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 24
so would u get more power out of a 4 ohm or 2 ohm alpine type-r

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 792
Like I was saying, it depends on what kind of amp you are planning on using with the particualar sub(s).

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1332
U cannot get more power with different ohm config - but its been said that with a higher ohm level the sound is slightly more cleaner but in doing so a higher ohm amp to power those would costs considerably more

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2358
you would "get more power" out of a dual 2 b/c you can wire it down further than you can wire a dual 4 ohm.

and you don't "get more power" out of it by wiring it to a lower ohm load, your amp is able to send more power to it.

now if you had 2 subs, you would "get more power" out of the dual 4 ohms, b/c they could be wired down to a 1 ohm load. unlike 2 dual 2 ohms which could only be wired to 2 ohms or .5 ohm, but their aren't many amps that can run at .5 ohms.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 118
lanzar optis can :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us