Alternatives to the RE SX12

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 217
Well it sounds like RE isn't answering any phone calls or emails anytime soon, so I need some comparable alternatives to the SX12... for around the same price($250. Any ideas???

Bronze Member
Username: Hondarider

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 59
maybe a sound splinter rl-p 15 i think the would be real similiar.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
How would the 12" Alpine type X or the Orion H2 12.2 compare to the SX12???

Bronze Member
Username: Hondarider

Glidden, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 61
I don;t think the type x will get as loud as a sx but it will have better sq i don't no about the orion H2 12.2.

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 202
yea the typeX is a sq sub

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 673
h2 is a SPL sub...no SQ...ID MAX is comparable to the RE SX...pretty loud and great SQ...same RMS power handling too.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2252
actually, the IDMAX is not entirely comparable to the SX.

the SX can handle more power than it is rated at, and will get louder any day of the week than the IDMAX.

the IDMAX will sound better than the SX hands down, and does not require more than about 800 watts to reach it's full potential. any more than 1000 and you are running it in the yellow/red.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
so what do u think i should do, i want to get a new sub and amp and box ASAP, my first choice was the SX, but RE isn't answering phone calls, so i have tried to look else where.... Now i'm leaning towards the H2, I had Power acoustik subs and to me they sounded decent.

So i figure if the PA's SQ didn't bother me, than the H2's SQ wouldn't bother me, becuz the H2's would mostly likely still be better then PA.

And one H2 12.2 in a ported box will blow the doors off 2 12" PA FUBR's in a sealed box as far as SPL. I plan on about 1000-1500 watts to power the H2.

However, if someone can convince me that 1 12" type x in a ported box with 1000 rms goin to it will have more SPL than my PA set-up with a bridged 880 rms PA amp that was split between both PA subs, I may get the Type X.

Anonymous

checkout the eclipse Ti.

should be similar to the SX. maybe sound a little better too. if you like the metal cone

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
i thought the eclipse Ti is a lot more expensive than the SX and its rms handling in like 200 watts less.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4693
Mike, are you into SQ or SPL or SQL?
I don't know if you read the other thread, but RE's been busy at a show. If you called them next week, you'll probably get through. They also have limited number of staff. Hopefully they will increase it very soon.
If $250 is your budget, what would it be next month? RE's new XXX 12" can be had for a little more and will give you both SQ and SPL. Their old ones had 1600w rms rating.
Seriously, I would recommend you to wait till next month and check out their new models.
I know how you feel though, it took me few days to get through. I find calling them just before they go to lunch works best.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
isaac, what will the new 12" XXX cost??? you say a little more than $250, but i have heard quotes of like $400-500. Also, the new XXX's rms rating will probably increase, and i can't really afford an amp that costs more than $300-320. I originally wanted a sx12 and the re 12.1 amp.

I just feel that it would be a waste to get the new XXX if i can only have an RE 12.1 powering it, becuz its not being used to its full potential...

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
what i am "into" is a setup that will have the same, if not better SQ than my Power acoustik set-up and more SPL than it had. lol i don't know what u would really classify that as.

Here is a better answer... something comparable to a JL 1000/1 and 2 12" type R's in a ported box.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4695
Mike, the 12" might be somewhere between $300-$400.
You don't need to send 1600w rms to get excellent SQ from those subs. They will sound very good even with 500w - 800w rms.
Think of it as an investment. You buy that sub next month and you won't have to purchase another one for a long time. You won't also have to wonder how a better sub will sound like either.
If all you can afford is $300 for an amp, then get one within your budget. It's much easier to upgrade an amp in the future than a sub and box.
I'll say it again, you don't need tons of power to get great SQ. I gurantee you, supply 800w of clean power, and you'll get excellent results.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Will the new 12 XXX have as much SPL as the current SX12 model???

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 524
call RE they r open again they were closed for db drag nationals i called them today OCT 10.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us