GlassWolf / RE SE and SX and XXX question

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2006
Ok i own 2 amps right now to use. ONe crossfire vr1000d amp that 1000 x 1 @ 1ohm @ 12.5v and a Eclipse DA7122 amp that does 1000 x 2 at 2 ohm at like 13.5 volts.

I am looking for SPL first and then SQ second.

Which of the RE subs whould work best for my needs ? I definetly wanna go ported also for a SQL setup for a everyday driver. Again SPL first and SQ second. I listen to mostly RAP.

Its for a single subwoofer setup btw. 12 or 15 also ?

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 571
this is what GW said in different thread
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=4&post=422253#POST422253

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 173
haha rap i think i can help you here thats what i listen to too..i would go with the 15" SX and wire it down to 1ohm and use that crossfire amp...the SX gets a little bit louder than the XXX(which gets crazy loud) but it still has decent SQ so it wont sound like complete @$$ like some L7s or some G@Y sonys

i know im not glasswolf but hes probably asleep right now

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2007
Well thanks for your input guys. I was leaning towards the SX 12 and 15 more anyways based on what i had read. Glasswolf let me know what you think since you have experience with RE.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9308
the SX fits your needs. besides the XXX isn't available right now anyway.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2010
Thanks glass, whould i retain some SQ if i go with a SX 12 to a SX 15 and still have big SPL.

What size box and tune whould you recommend or should i just go by what reaudio says for the sql box's.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2011
Re says 1.9 cuft tuned to 32hz for the SX 12 and 3.5 cuft tuned to 32hz for the SX 15

I whould save alot more space with the 12 and still be loud but still retain some SQ with the 12 right..?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9311
RE's specs are good. you'll have fine SQ with a fifteen. it's got a good strong motor so the driver will have good control over the cone mass even with the larger cone area.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2013
Depending on if i can fit the 3.5 cuft ported box in my 95 montero cargo area with the folding seats in the back up. I will have to see if i can fit it. I have 30" W x 38" D x 42" H

Here is a picture of what i have to work with Glasswolf. Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2014
Im also thinking about somthing to use to cover the amps like fiber glass or somthing that has holes so that air goes thru and that way i can lay the 3.5 cuft ported box for my SX 15 right on top and that way the amps wont over heat. I know your not supposed to cover the heatsinks of the amps so that is what i came up with. I dont wanna move around anything else but just add somthing to protect the amps and also be able to handle the weight of the ported box over them. This also hides the amps from visibility to onlookers.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9320
you could fire the sub upward, and mount teh amps to the back of the box so they're exposed when you open the hatch.
you can use a baffle to flush mount the amps to the box.. it'd look pretty sweet like that.
I've done a few SUVs that way.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2015
I could have this box built for the SX 15. Its even bigger but the dimensions fit fine.

http://www.woodlawncabinetry.com/Resonant_Engineering_Custom_Boxes.html

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2019
Glass what could i use to create a forcefield around the amps with holes in it to have some air pass thru and that way i can just lay my sub box rigth on top of the shield of the forcefield so it wont sit right on top of the amps. I dont wanna touch the wiring or move the amps at this point. I just wanna cover them so that i can place my 15" sub enclosure over them without killing my amps from heat. Where can i find somthing like this.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9347
extend the sides of the sub box so it sits several inches off the floor of the SUV. that leaves room for the amplifiers under the box.
then put fans at front and back to push-pull air under the box to cool the amps if you want.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9348
like this 4runner I did years ago:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/4runner02b.jpg

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2020
Thanks Glass, that looks like a good idea. I will have the box built this way.

Looks like im gonna go with the SX 15 sub from RE. Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 826
good choice MO...my SX15 has yet to let me down.

oh...and you wouldnt wanna sell that Eclipse DA7122 would ya?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2024
You remember marshall huh ? yeah i still have the Eclipse DA7122. I paid about $500 for it total with shipping from www.electronicgiant.com

I originally got it to power that Eclipse Ti 15 but they were on backorder and now ive decided on the SX 15 which will work better for my application and cost me less.

I am willing to sell the Eclipse DA7122 for $479 free shipping. Best price anywhere for this amp and its under a 90 day warranty with electronicgiant right now. Never even taken out of the box or anything. lol ive sold so many things before and you can check me on ebay at suleman36

Let me know if you want it marshall ?

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 265
what would u compare the SX in SQ wise to? Because thats not sayin much that it doesnt have as much SQ as the X.X.X because thats supposed to be like 1 of the best SQ subs u can get. So what does it compare to in SQ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2059
good question. I know it has alot of SPL but im not sure what it compares to in SQ

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
but does sound relativly good? atleast better than a mtx9500?

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 336
The SX has slightly less SQ than a x.x.x.. Not a huge diff though.
MTX 9500 does have more SQ but then again, they can't be compared. 9500's are crappy subs, they just look nice and bulky with added weight somewhere to make 'em heavy.
SX is a way better sub overall, and I've owned the MTX 15" 9500... for 2 weeks then sold it quick, just a crappy sub, even in a SS box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
R u tyren to tell me the mtx subs r equal to the XXX in SQ? cause u say the SX has slightly less sq then the XXX and the 9500 has more than the SX?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us