Jeep Wrangler

FSUjeep
Unregistered guest
Hey i know this is an odd question for this board but here it goes. I have a 2003 Jeep wrangler with a soft top. I am also running mud tires so i get a lot of noise. I am looking to upgrade the stock deck and speakers. However, I don't want to invest a lot of money in a deck becasuse of the theft factor with one of these(The windows zip out). I know that I am not going to be able to have quality sound but I need more volume. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1306
A detachable faceplate might deter future theives. I've also heard of people putting razor blades around the back of the unit if someone tries to hijack it...you could get pretty creative, I'm sure.

A cheaper Pioneer might be a good investment. Perhaps the DEH-P3700.

There are also red blinking LED security lights behind the faceplate of some units-not sure on how effective that would be because there is no actual security and would draw attention to the unit.

If you have a great deal of money I would suggest a Pioneer with the DFS alarm system built into the unit.

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 113
Costco had some Blaupunkt's, HU and a pair of 6.5 coax 4 $119.
You could than add a Bazooka amplified tube for bass.

Should sound ok for $200.

Also, you can look for used stuff off Ebay.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbadworm

San Diego

Post Number: 23
Dont forget the sound bar.....adds a couple of speakers and you attach it to the roll bar above and just behind your head.

FSUjeep
Unregistered guest
I have the sound bar already and it does help. My cousin gave me two planet audio kevlar 12's and a 1200 watt planet audio amp. I want to put one or both of the 12's in but I want to upgrade the sound bar speakers (6 1/2) and the dash speakers (4 x 6). I am thinking of going with one of the pioneer decks for around $100 and upgrading to maybe the sony X-plod speakers. any thoughts on this plan?

FSUjeep
Unregistered guest
I have the sound bar already and it does help. My cousin gave me two planet audio kevlar 12's and a 1200 watt planet audio amp. I want to put one or both of the 12's in but I want to upgrade the sound bar speakers (6 1/2) and the dash speakers (4 x 6). I am thinking of going with one of the pioneer decks for around $100 and upgrading to maybe the sony X-plod speakers. any thoughts on this plan?

Username: Jspatriots

Post Number: 7
Go to ebay and get an adapter plate and you can add 5 1/4's up front
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Speaker-adapter-plates-for-97-04-Jeep-Wrangler- NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38636QQitemZ7989864495QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 693
Please don't say the S word around here, it's not good for your car audio health.

Stay away from SOny at all cost.

fsujeep
Unregistered guest
I just bought polks 4x6's and 6 1/2's for the jeep. I havent installed them yet. I'm doing that in the morning. I decided to put a high-low converter to add my subs. In the future, I will get a new head unit or a four channel amp to run the new speakers. Any input?

fsujeep
Unregistered guest
Also, where can I find a wiring diagram so I know which wire is which from the stock stereo?

Bronze Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 13
i have a jeep wrangler 98' and i have a high dollar system. i had a custom made box to fit perfectly in the trunk with space below for two amps. the box was bolted from the inside to the side walls of the jeep and then the woofers were put in. unless the box was taken out you couldn't get to the amps. as far as deck, face off is really the only way to go. now i have tinted soft top and also i don't play my stereo near my house. just a few measures i take.......

Bronze Member
Username: Ehostler

VA

Post Number: 53
As far as wiring goes, do it the easy way and get a harness adapter from Best Buy.

bgreer
Unregistered guest
I'm driving a '98 Sahara and in May I upgraded the stock stereo and speakers. I put in a Alpine 9851 HU in the dash, a set of 5 and 1/4 memphis M-Class coaxials (http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=15) in my soundbar and memphis 4X6 components in the dash. I too am a little worried about security, but the stereo's face plate does come off and I don't think a theif from outside the car would notice nicer speakers... You can lock the face in the glove box or the security box between the seats, or in the trunk (if you have a hid-a-trunk). If putting in a box for a sub, I might put it in the trunk space so it blends in a little more. You can put the amps behind and under the front seats to keep them out of view... buuuut after leaving my roof off one night during a bad rain storm I accumulated 3 inches of water in the bottom of my car and most of it was in the divit around the seats (thank you jeep for drain plugs). If you put the amps in the back cargo space I'd be sure to have the seat in and down - Otherwise... might be asking for someone to zip/cut your windows for some freebees. I'd say that a jeep isn't the greatest car to put in a real fancy system unless you at least have a hard top...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us