Old factory speaker wire? Get rid of it or keep it?

Bronze Member
Username: Tweek52

Post Number: 16
Buying all new set of speakers for my car, infinity perfect in front and kappas in the back 6.5 and 6x9's, can i just use the old speaker wire that my other speakers were hooked to or should i buy a new set of wires and rewire it myself. And if i do what kind of wire do i need to get ty :-)

Username: Borked

Post Number: 8
16g or 14g will be fine and give ya enough incase ya add an amp, buy extra wire! it always comes in handy especially if you're the backwards type who cut twice and measure once

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
So buy new wire?

Post Number: 9
oh if you need a specific answer, don't use factory wire and well honestly use a spool of 50' speaker wire 14 or 16 gauge ya buy at walmart in the car audio section should be fine. Honestly I think unless you're using high end components there's no point in looking into thread counts and if its oxygen free copper, etc... prolly wont notice the difference. then again i dont really have any experience.

Post Number: 10
use proper tools, crimper, and connectors, soldering isnt necessary but its fun and does make a very solid connection! are you installing an amp to power your new components?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Yeah i am, so i guess i have to buy a kit for that or somethin

Bronze Member
Username: Firlefanz

Post Number: 25
I suggest to run new wires, mostly because of the diameters which are used in cars.
Especially when you consider or already have an amp.
Take out a speaker and check the diameter.
1,5 mm² is alright, don't know about gauge

If you just want a little musik, you may use them.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8537
can you use factory wires? sure.
are you better off running fresh 18-16awg wire? yes.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us