Alpine CDA-9851 or Pioneer DEH-P770MP

Username: 808coug

Post Number: 3
So I'm doin research for the intentions to buy a new headunit and im stuck between the Alpine CDA-9851 or Pioneer DEH-P770MP and feedback or input on these products and which one is more preferable.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1143
Alpine, the build quality and features make it my pick.

Post Number: 4
ya im leaning more towards the alpine through my research, but anyone w/ more feedback from experiences w/ these decks?

Username: T0asty

Post Number: 7
if your gonna buy alpine dont buy their new models they all suck. i say go with the 770 that thing bumps. plus pioneer did i really good job on their decks this year. take it from me all my installers love the new pioneers

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbadworm

San Diego

Post Number: 13
Whats the pros the Pioneer possess's over the Alpine cause this is the same dilema I am facing. I like the 770 but have always owned Alpine and I want a change. I've seen the 770's on Ebay for under 2 bills.....I like that price.

Post Number: 5
ya both the 770 and 9851 are both under 2 bills. how do the new alpine models suck? which deck u leaning more toward bigbadworm?

Bronze Member

San Diego

Post Number: 14
Im leaning towards the 770 only because I've heard the new lineup for Alpine is having reliability issues, I don't like the glide feature and I've always owned Alpine, a great product, but I'm looking to make a change and see what else is out there. Pretty much why I'm leaning towards Pioneer....plus I like the way the 770 would lok in my X.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1157
They've taken care of most of the reliability issues from what I've seen.

Post Number: 6
ya i think i am also leaning toward the 770 because of those problems that i've been reading about on the 9851 that other people are having. any other headunits you guys recommend that i should check out that are similar or in the same price range?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 570
Alpine, Pioneer has always had durability issues from what I've seen. And the new Alpines, it's the first time they've had a major recall. Just get one with a yellow/blue dot by the bar code and your good to roll.

Bronze Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 51
Comparing the 2 they are almost i dentical comparing EQ specs. I have never had a durability issue with a Pioneer.Just more adjustments on frequencies and other features. 7700MP > 9851.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 573
Hi im drummer03: I've been in car audio for years. And I've seen tons of different setups. And under, shall we say, "harsh" use, Pioneers fail more often than Alpine. Under "normal" volumes, in a "normal" car, under "normal" conditions, they're probably the same. But I live in Idaho, and we have extremely bumpy roads, and lots of dust. And we tend to turn the volume knob up and leave it there for a long time... :D

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 59
That could be a favored opinion. I could say the same thing for Alpine."People around here always complain about Alpine."Normal conditions as in where you live?

Bronze Member
Username: Swegs

Post Number: 15
i have the pioneer premier DEH-770MP and i like it a lot. i really liked the 2 year warranty that comes with the premier also. ive had it for about close to 2 months now and i am very satisfied. it has more options than i know what to do with. plus it looks tight. i got it for right at 200 if i remmber right and that was including shipping from L.A. i think i got it from discountjungle.net

Username: Ku692006

Post Number: 4
Friend had the CDA-9851 and motor face broke/stopped moving within 2 months. I've had a Pioneer for 4 years now and has worked fine except for the crappy install by best buy. happy shopping ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
burke how did best buy screw up ur install? cause they installed mine to.

Bronze Member

San Diego

Post Number: 15
Probably cause Best Buy will hire any 17 yr old with no experience to install anything in any vehicle. You couldnt give me money to let a place like Circuit City or a Best Buy install ANYTHING in any of my vehicles.

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 62
Expirience comes from time.Anyways everyone at Best Buy has to be MECP certified.This has been going on for 2 years now.

Bronze Member

San Diego

Post Number: 16
If they have to be certified, then how come they do such a crappy job and don't seem to have many answers for basic questions? Might not be this way everywhere but I have heard so many horror stories about them, and also I've walked in with questions that they couldn't help with. Might not be like this everywhere but it sure is in San Diego

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
ya i was going to say that they were very knowledgable where i had mine installed. besides for me here they are like the only place to go to. every other audio place only installs what u buy from them and i buy everything online.

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 69
I agree with Bryan.Not everyone has all the answers that why you referring to us Bigbadworm. Were by any of your installs free worm?

Bronze Member
Username: Squanto

No, No Usa

Post Number: 62
I have a DEH-P760MP for sale... only $120 plus shipping. Very similar to the 770.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5792957827

Pinko Panther
Unregistered guest
I just bought a 9851 because it is compatible with the Alpine IPOD adapter unit. I don't know if the adapter works with pioneer (let me know if it does) but the idea of never having to carry CDs in my car again is very exiting. The two units as a combo seem to make the choice clear to me. I don't get it installed, however, until Aug. 10 so I'll let you all know how it works out.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 671
Yeah, I recently got carjacked, and lost all my cds that were in the car =( 48 cd case at $15 a pop. 48X15= $720.. ouch. I would much rather lose a $250 Ipod. Monster sells a cable that is headphone mini jack to rca's. Works like a charm when I plug it into the AUX on my home stereo, can't wait to use it on my car.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 674
Oh yeah, I would grab the Pioneer.

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 88
You can do the same thing with Pioneer.The Alpine is hard to navigate through many menus. Also pinko, Have you looked into getting Sat.Radio?

Silver Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 281
I vote for the Pioneer I own that exact deck. My decision was between those two HU's and I do not regret my decision at all. the 770 is the premier version and has strong preamp outputs than the alpine so if u want to add some amps then that is a boost.

Go w/ the Pioneer
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us