Need advice

Username: Tkn

Post Number: 1
So I just picked up a 98 Boxster and the stock audio system sets a new level of crappiness for OEM systems.

So I think I am going to need to do something about that. While I would love to stick some Dynaudios in, I think that the price might be too rich for my blod, so I am looking for something that I can afford that is relatively neutral in character. I have heard the MB Quarts and Infinitys are pretty bright, but I was thinking about JL Audios. I can't really figure out the CDTs, but I was looking at them as well. I would like a 3-way component system.

Post Number: 2
I think, after much searching I figured out a bit more. Apparently I can fit up to a 1" tweeter, 4" mid-woofer and 6.5" mid-woofer in the stock install locations. I probably am not going to add a subwoofer right away.

I think that the CDT classics might work but was looking for other suggestions under $400 that might work as well.

Post Number: 3
So after doing even more research I think I am more uncertain than before.

Should I go 2-way or 3-way is the first question. I really want to maintain a stock appearance so it it seems that 3-way is better in that situation as a 4"/1" system would not have enough bass. Or I could get a 6.5" 2-way and put it into the door.

Looking at systems that might be in my price range:

3-ways
======

Rainbow SLC365- I haven't been able to find any reviews of this system anywhere. I know Rainbow's higher end stuff is good, but what about this one?

CDT CL641- about the same price. Classics seem to be well regarded.

DLS UP36- quite a bit more expensive.

2-ways
======

DLS UP6

Dynaudio 240- again a bit pricier

CDT CL61 or EF61

Seas Lotus P5165F

So those are the ones in the running so far. I will be running the stock head unit and amp until I have a chance to replace them.

Can anyone comment on what might be the best price/value ratio for SQ?

Username: Dr_sharp

USA

Post Number: 4
you own a porsche and you're shopping for the best value speakers? wtf is wrong with you?

Post Number: 4
It is a noisy convertible and I don't feel like spending a ton on speakers, just getting the best sound for the money I do spend.

If I wanted an audiophile system I would have bought a quiet Lexus to listen in...

Username: Dr_sharp

USA

Post Number: 5
haha.. fair enough..
those lexus systems will cost you.. i've never heard one of the nice ones but dam...

Post Number: 5
So does anyone have any experience with these systems then?

Bronze Member
Username: Ssoonr

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 48
A good 2-way system would be your best bet if your on a budget.

"stock hu and amp"
I definately suggest getting an amp with the speakers as the stock amp would need to be replaced for lack of power and distortion issues.

Planning on adding a sub? What is your budget?

Post Number: 7
I really didn't want to spend over $400 for the speaker set. Later on I might replace the stock amp with a JL e6450 or something decent. I want to keep the front end looking as stock as possible so I may pick up a Nak deck later on also.

I probably won't add a sub until even later if at all. That is one reason I was thinking a 3-way might be better now. Also I should add the DLS R36 set to the list I am considering.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 50
doing the install yourself?

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 51
the reason i ask is because usually three way setup are quite a bit tricker to setup, and more expensive. If you wanted low end, you could do some 6.5" or 8" subs... dont take a whole lot of room and that could be something you add later

Post Number: 8
I was planning on doing the install myself. I was planning on doing drop in replacements of the tweeter and mid and then later replacing the door speakers. I don't have tools to do baffles or anything and the stock mounts seem a bit weird. So you may be right in going two-way and then doing 6.5 subs (which are the largest that will go into the doors). Someone suggested that 5 3/4 speakers will go into the stock door positions, so I could try and find a 3-way system that used them, but again positioning concerns take over.

So I might go with the DLS R4 or maybe, if I can find a good deal, CDT CL-41s and JL Audio subs for the doors. I found a great deal on CL-61s but haven't been able to do the same for the 41s yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us