Focal 165v2 component vs. MB Quart PCE-216 component

Julie Lee
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could please help me to decide between these two speaker choices for my '01 Miata? I'm looking for SQ/clarity across all frequencies (I listen to jazz, classical, punk, rap), and was wondering whether the Focal Polyglass 165v2 component or MB Quart PCE-216 components would be a better choice? I'm a total novice, so please use small words. No audio shops around me seem to carry both sets, so I can't compare in person. What are the strengths/weaknesses of each set? I've heard the MB Quart's can be "harsh"...what does this mean? Tinny tweeter? Will these speakers fit in my car?
Also, if anyone could please recommend a good amplifier to run through them, that would be awesome...I'd like to spend less than $200 on the amp, and less than $500 on the speakers (in case anyone has a speaker suggestion other than the two I've chosen). Thanks in advance!

Julie

Username: David_chin

Post Number: 1
Hi Julie,

If you are prepared to spend an extra $25, you should consider the DLS Iridium 6.2. This is available at Infinite Audio at $525. The speaker has been voted the European Speaker for 2004. I have heard it and think it is certainly better than the MB or Focal.

David

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3127
True. Julie, honestly both sets can be harsh at times. They are what you call a "power" set, meaning a punchier sounding midbass and a bright tweeter. If they are set up well, they aren't overly harsh. I tend to lean toward neutral sets personally, those DLS's David recommended above are fantastic, also look into the Dynaudio and Focal Utopia sets. It's all in what you like.

Bronze Member
Username: Phx

Post Number: 27
I like the quart prems over the focal polyglass by far, but in my opinion, opinions suck. I can't wait to hear those DLS comps, I have a lot of volvos and an all-swedish setup sounds really cool to me :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us