Help needed with a sony amp and mtx sub

MPKing
Unregistered guest
Hi there. I'm having a problem and I can't find an answer anywhere. I recently purchased a sub, box, and amp. I had an old amp and sub hooked up, but wanted to upgrade, so I Purchased this amp

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/86765/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do #tabs

this sub, (10 inches, 4 ohms)

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/2001Thunder8000Sub.cfm

and a ported 10 inch box I got on ebay.

anyway, me and my dad hooked the sub up today, it's just the one ten, bridged, and it played for a while, but I noticed it didn't hit nearly as hard as I had hoped, so we turned the settings on the amp up, then after about 15 minutes of driving the bass just totally cut out. I pulled over and opened the trunk, it smelled like burning, and I assumed the amp had overheated. Several hours later it still wouldent put out any sound, and the fuses are intact. I'm pretty much at a loss of what to do. Any help you could give me would be awsome. thanks a lot guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 63
MARIO TAKE NOTE - only seconds after I post to you this poor bugger posts this, let it be a warning to you mate!! avoid sony at all costs.

Cheers Glenn

MPKing
Unregistered guest
that isn't very helpful! would you suggest just returning the amp, gettin my money back, and using it to by a quality single channel amp from a different maker?

MPKing
Unregistered guest
oh yeah, and from what you can tell do you even think it's the amp that's the problem? I would think so but I really don't know.

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 64
Yeah mate if you bought it somewhere that will allow that sort of instant return then do it, its the best thing you could do. Given the choice of your MTX sub and the Sony amp it would b esafe to put money on the sony as the problem. Ask on this group for advice on the best amp for the MTX - its won't be a sony thats for sure.

Cheers Glenn
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us