Navigation system Q

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 127
I didn't want to post this in the Navigation System section since no one looks there, so here it is...
I am pretty sure navigation systems get the information from satellites? So, if that's the case and I get a car with no navigation system, but want to add one such as Kenwood or Alpine. When I get it installed, does automatically link with a satellite or do I have to purcahse additional service? Or does it work without a satellite? Thanks all

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 245
Gps satlites transmit the signal 24 7. So anyone can pick up the signal with a receiver.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 129
Ok cool. 2 more questions that I hope you can answer. Are there differences between factory installed nav system and the one I can put it if I buy it. Also, the ones I have seen are 1 DIN size where the monitor rolls out from the receiver. What are the other ones called that have the screen embedded into the dash? How hard is it to install one of those?

Bronze Member
Username: Shouder

Wisconsin

Post Number: 59
alright hold on there. I was unaware that kenwood made satellite gps nav systems, but im been out of touch for awhile. You don't want kenwood anyway. There fine for buming around. but i would never be impressed no matter how great of one you got (sidenote). The way the nav systems work is by cd, or rather dvd. I know pioneer for example has nav. dvd's that you use. and the way that it knows where you are is by a sensor like a gyro (can't remember what it is called). It tells how fast your going what turns your making. Basically every thing the nav needs to know to get you from point a to b and tell you when to turn and how long it will take. Im pretty sure that apline has the same thing. As far as install goes, im not sure. Ive done some crazy installs so it may not be difficult for me but i don't know what experence you have either.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 134
Ok. Yes, kenwood has a navigation system now (KNA-DV4100). So then what information does it get from a satellite?

Bronze Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 63
Your right i forgot about their new one. However, It does not get any info from a satellite. Im sorry but i think you were misled somewhere along the road about satellite gps systems because all these systems like kenwood, alpine, pioneer, clarion, etc. don't use satellite gps they use the map dvds and sensors that are installed on your car. The only systems that might use the satellite gps systems are like those found in bmw's or caddy's, etc, stock. If you were to buy a satellite gps system im sure it would be pretty expensive, unless you rigged one like those for hunting and fishing in your car. (Those are satellite).

Bronze Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 64
Hey, im sorry buddy i lied to ya. You weren't completly misled. Navigation systems do use gps antenna's too but only in conjunction with the gyros to once again know how fast your going, what direction, altitude, etc. That is all however. All the maps are provided by the dvd's. Nothing is downloaded by satellite other than your position on the provided maps. Sorry once again.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 135
So then, obviously satellite navigation systems are better because they can update changes immediately? And I'm better off getting the nav system stock in a car?

Bronze Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 66
Im sorry once again, I didn't completely correct myself from the second to last post. All maps are provided by dvd's. Even those found in BMW's, and upperclass cars. The nav. systems in the uppen end cars have no advantage over aftermarket goods, except for maybe the posibilty of stronger signals and perfect installation. im not sure what you mean by "am i better off getting a nav system stock in a car?" were you planning on buying a new car and putting a aftermarket nav system in it and now thinking just getting the nav stock with the car. Not sure if i can help you with that. if thats what you mean.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 254
Wait a sec guys. Nav systems work off the satilites. The ring gyros are a backup. The only way ring gyros, or even ring laser gyros are that accurate is if you do a full alignment without moving the car. Which none of the systems today actually do. They work off the satilites and then go to the gyro to keep you up to date till you have line of site with three or more satilites again.

Bronze Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 67
yes, but thats purely for position. All the maps are provided via dvd.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 257
yes Tim that is correct.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us