Repairs

Bronze Member
Username: Taylornuts

Wichita, KS USA

Post Number: 17
I Need a place that repairs the Old Orion amps the XTR 2250 and the XTR 450 anyone have any thoughts? (The 450 I am not to sure it is that old)
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6047
try contacting Orion for authorized repair centers.

If all else fails, I'll take that 2250 if ya like.. heh
I could use it for parts in case one of my 3 fail in the Charger
I think that 450SX is a third gen Orion.
It's the same age or slightly older than the 2250 you have.

Bronze Member

Wichita, KS USA

Post Number: 18
If I am thinking corectly the 450 xtr was made in 2000 or little bit later, The beast was made in 1995. I have one other working 2250 and a 2150sx, a 425hcca also, I tried contacting Orion the never got back with me

Bronze Member

Wichita, KS USA

Post Number: 20
I am going to try and have that 2250 fixed cause I want 1 on each sub mono at 2 to 4 ohms. Once I make sure that this 425 works I am probably going to sell the 2150 and the 450 (after it is repaired)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6062
the 2250 actually started as the 2250SX around the late 1980s, then became the XTR2250 later on.
same amp though. It had quite a lifespan through about 4 generations of Orion product lines.

The 2250 is stable to 4 ohms bridged.
The "SX" line of amplifiers stopped production around 1993 and went to the "XTR" labels, so that 450 is most likely older than your "Beast"
I have 3 2250SX, 1 2125SX, a 280GX, and some other Orions laying around here as well. I used to sell and install Orion in the early 90s. I was pretty familiar with their product line up to around the time they got into the Team Extreme stuff.. Then I started to lose interest as they tried to overcommercialize everything. I know car audio is a glitzy sort of thing, but I still like understated products.. like McIntish or Brax. They have a suave elegance about their products I like. No riced out flashy crap trying to grab the attention of every star-struck 17 year old getting out of high school.
</soapbox>

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6063
PS your 450SX also appears to have a first-gen style heatsink casing, and second-gen "Orion" emblem, so the amplifier is from circa 1992.
I can show ya a couple pics of first and second gen Orion amps to compare if desired.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6064
oops, just looked again.. it's an XTR not an SX.. my bad. just got up a bit ago.
ok, may be newer than I thought.. anyway

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6065
For the 2250,
get an allen key wrench
remove the 4 allen key bolts on one end of the amplifier.
slide the end plate out of your way and with the amp upside down, slide the metal bottom panel off of the amplifier.
You'll see two large fuse holders, one on each side of the amp by the power supply capacitors.
each one should contain a 40A 5AG fuse.
check both fuses to see if they're blown.
use a small slotted screwdriver to pop the fuses out of the holders. They should pop out easily.
Any NAPA auto parts shop will carry the 40A-5AG fuses needed for replacement.

See if that fixes the amplifier

Bronze Member

Wichita, KS USA

Post Number: 24
It blows the one side as soon as it gets power I hilited the parts that are in need of repair, the 450xtr has the crossovers that you can change inside the top

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6078
top image are your power supply capacitors
the bottom image are your FET rails for the amplification stage of the amp.

The trick to fixing those Orions is going to be finding the schematics for them listing the actual part numbers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us