8" and 10" subs

Bronze Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Post Number: 44
Currently I have two 8" subs and one 6 1/2 bass tube. If I bought one 10" to replace the two 8s Would It sound better haveing one 10" than haveing the two 8s? If not then what about a 12"?

Bronze Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 16
Bub...unless u gonna buy 3-5 8's or 10's then get 1 or 2 12's 15's or 1 18...that is if u want good sound

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Ok well, Which 15 or 18 would you reccomend for like under $75(ebay price)?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 414
...whatever you get for 75 bucks is going to be garbage....the term "you get what you pay for" applies heavily to car audio...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Acutally, I bought some pretty cheap items off of ebay that sound great so..I don't really beleive in that term...

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 201
well i have 2 8's and i have 2 10's now if i had 1 10" sub of the same make as the 2 8's and in the same style box i would think that it wouldnt be as loud and i would hate it because my 8's are pretty week and i dont like 15's or 18' because i listen to a lot of rock also i dont like ported boxes for that reason. i am always searching for cheap car audio and i believe its true you get what you pay for but some times you get lucky like i did with the 2 10's that i have but let me ask you this are you looking at a car with a trunk or a hatch back or is it a truck with a reg cab or extended cab?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Its a hatchback, Listen mostly to rock or industrial.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 65
a single 12" is probably best if you want to go cheap. for the price range you're after, not very many 10"s can compete with two 8"s.

for a cheap 12", rockford or JL audio W0 are probably best. for a little more, you could get an adire shiva 10". with a little power, it should be louder than what you have now.

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 205
i would go with a single 12" as well, w0's you can find for $150 or less at times if you didnt mind spending a little more i would get maybe even in a 10" a jl audio w3v2 but im not sure how much thoes go for and im not sure what your budjet is looking like

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Thanks for the opinions, Would a Rockford Fosgate RFZ3812 Punch Z 12" be fine, Aaron? Cost about $42 with shipping on eBay.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 68
i think that sub would be a great deal for under $50, but you want to get the RFZ3412 (same sub, but the 4-ohm version) if you're running a single sub.

i've never used a Z, but i've used other fosgate subs with good results, including the older "series 1", which was eventually replaced by the Z. if you get this sub, make sure to give it 100-150 watts of rms power.

the RFZ3812 (the 8-ohm version you're looing at) would work if you wanted to run two of them off a mono sub amp. you'd need 200-300 watts to do this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
The RFZ3412 is about $63 on eBay, Can't really do that now though. Just found out my cars ignition switch broke so probably gonna have to go with the cheaper one, I probably could get the RFZ3812 for $25(with shipping) though. Any other recommendations for a 12"?

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 70
the RFZ3412 and the RFZ3812 should be the same price. keep watching and you should find a similar price on the 4 ohm version. or, you could ask the seller if they would switch out the 4 ohm version for the $42 price. it shouldn't be a big deal if they have them in stock (usually it's the 8 ohm version that is hard to find).

sorry, but i can't recommend any sub for less than $50. below that point, you get into subs that are junk. they won't sound good and could blow.

if you're interested, i've got a few jensen 12"s i'm looking to get rid of. i have four of them, two were used for a while, and two are used but look like brand new, still in the box. i'd sell them for $50 each (includes shipping). let me know if you're interested. it's a good sub for what it is - retailed for $100 when new, and it will give you 120 dB using just one. i can show you an article in car stereo review that says its an okay sub for the price. if you want all four, i'd let them go for $150.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Sure, I'd be interested(just one at the moment) Mind posting the article?

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 71
here is a quote from the review:

"Jensen's JSW124 is one damn-nice-looking $80 subwoofer. It has a very sharp white-painted steel frame, a white magnet cover, and a pair of gold-plated 5-way binding posts... the subwoofer has substantial SPL, over 120dB at 50Hz with low distortion."

-Tom Nousaine, Car Stereo Review

so i guess the price $80 new, not $100. my bad, i bought these like 5 or 6 years ago. the reason i thought that is because the sub was in a competion against subs costing $100 or less. it came in second place.

a little about the JSW124:

rms power: 175 watts (4 ohm single coil)

sensitivity: 93dB/1M/1W (very efficient, i only used 75 watts when i used them, and they still got plenty loud)

in-car frequency response (measured by tom nousaine): 12Hz-100Hz +/- 3.44dB in a 1.5 cu ft box. this was better performance than another previously tested sub costing $240.

max spl: 120.7dB w/less than 10% distortion in 1.5 cu ft box (loud and clean!)

let me know if you're still interested. i can post pics later if you like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Yeah I'm still interested, If you can post the pics later that would be great. Would you come down lower on the price of the used ones? Reason I ask is because, I could get a new one off of ebay for $55.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 73
how about $40 for one of the used ones - delivered. you can tell it's used looking at the back, but it works just fine. i will clean it up and show you pics.

the front sides of the cones are near perfect. i ran these in a clamshell isobaric set-up, so the cones were not exposed to anything, no dust, no moisture, no hands, not even light. they will look brand new mounted in a box.

btw, what are you planning to use for an amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
$40 sounds good, I'll let ya know once I see the pics.

And as of now Im useing a 400w Pryamid amp(Yeah yeah, I know, crap company. sounds decent though) Just useing it to hold me over untill I can afford a good one.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 74
well, a 400 watt pyramid amp probably puts out 200 clean watts, so keep the volume to a reasonable level or turn your gains down, because the sub only needs 175 watts.

i'll try to post the pics later tonight.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Alright, What kind of payments would you accept? would you happen to have paypal?

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 75
here are some pics:

http://www.hometown.aol.com/aasearles/jsw124a.jpg
http://www.hometown.aol.com/aasearles/jsw124b.jpg
http://www.hometown.aol.com/aasearles/jsw124c.jpg
http://www.hometown.aol.com/aasearles/jsw124d.jpg

as you can see, it's in very good shape. still have the box and original packing.

i do accept paypal. send me a PM with your acount name, and i will send you a payment request.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Looks great for it being used, Sent you a PM.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us