Crackling sound from rear Alpine speakers at irregular intervals

Soundbite
Unregistered guest
I've read the other post concerning how the speakers may be shot. But if that was the case, I would be hearing a continuous crackling / static sound.

I get static sound coming from my rear now and again and I'm not sure why. I've increased the volume and I could hear that static sounds and the same thing happens when I decreased the volume. I doubt it's shot because it would actually occur continuously. I'm running Alpine TypeR components and a Clarion DXZ835mp HU. The front and rears are powered by LA B.400.4 amps(75 x 4 rms). Any idea what's the problem?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 689
usually if the voice coils are damaged, that's how it'll sound.
does this problem only occur at higher volume? all the time? any more details?

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 1
Hi just registerd. This is Soundbite. No it occurs on lower volumes as well. I lowered the treble a bit, but I still hear that bit of static sound. Not all the time. Usually after a minute or so, but not all the time. Could it have something to do with the fact that it's an Audio CDR I burned or the unit itself with it's 24bit DAC?

Post Number: 692
the Clarion is fine.
the CD may be the problem if the MP3s are bad, which you won't always notice on the PC.

or, it could be the coils on the speakers.. hard to say.

Post Number: 2
How can I check if its the coils. Actually it happens to normal audio CDs as well. I'm gonna go to the audio shop later and try to see if it's the wiring or the amp. I've got a backup Sansui amp and am gonna try that. If it works then it's definitely the setting on the amp. Or if it's still there, it's gotta be the coil :-(

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 39
bring it to an audio store, have them check it out because someone who doesnt know what theyre doing doesnt know what to look for. but yeah that happened to me, the voice coil melted and only the barely any copper was left on the former and it sounded like that.

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 40
sorry.....there was barely any copper wire left on the aluminum/kapton former.

Post Number: 693
it could also be distortion from improperly set gains.
hard to say without hearing and seeing it myself.

Post Number: 8
Hello audiophiles. I've changed my amplifier back to my Sansui amp. The static sound does appear, but not as often anymore. I'm still not sure whether it was the amp (I was using a Lightning Audio B.400.4 amp). I suspect a number of reasons:

1. Static caused by small movements of cables due to bass coming from sub (sub is with amp in trunk)
2. RCA cable from HU to amp faulty
3. Voice coil fried (Unlikely coz certain CDs play ok)
4. I play a lot of burned CDs on different CDR media. (I've played original CD, still found a bit of static with low and high volumes)
5. CD media scratched and Clarion HU's method of reading CDs are wierd.

With this, I was wondering if there was a way I could test to see if the voice coil was fried. How can you tell when a coil is fried?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us