Rear Speaker? or Not?

Bronze Member
Username: Austin6

Post Number: 18
Delima,

Subs are complete, I have 2 kicker 12's powered off an Audiobahn Amp, and im sure everyone will be pissed, but it sounds really, really good. I now have my problem of the high end not letting me get the most out of my Bass.

I have a 4 door Mazda 6 that will fit a 6 1/2 in each door according to Infinity's Website, and 5 1/4 according to Crutchfield. I was thinking of going with the following.

INFINITY KAPPA PERFECT 6.1 or 5.1 for the front door, depending on what will fit. but what should i put in the rear doors if anything. i feel like the car needs more Mid Bass is the only reason why im considering using the rear doors.

On that note: I was not going to put the tweeter in the front doors. I am thinking about moving them up higher. Is there a limit to the distance the 2 speakers can be or should be apart?

What do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 122
I own an older mazda 626, and I actually have the Infinity 6.1 set in my car. As you may be aware... the older mazdas had the 5x7 speakers(complete junk) but I went ahead and cut and welded into the door my own 6.5 speaker holes.

Luckily, you already have the speaker holes for the speakers you want. First things first, I'm not sure exactly what the mounting depth is on the 6's, but you might want to make sure that these will fit in there. As for moving the tweeter up... I'd recommend against that because these are extremely bright tweeters, you wanna keep them down low or else the sound stage will be over powered by the highs of the tweeter, and it won't sound so great. Infinity also recommends and I will agree that you mount them at the same level(as in very close to) the mid woofer. Once you have these installed, then go ahead and decide if you have enough mid bass. If you still decide that you want more mid bass in the back, you can go ahead and add it later using something else.

My thoughts are that I really like the Infity Perf 6.1s. Although, I will also say that there are definitely some better sets out there. If you have the money, look at some similar Dynaudio or Focal K power or Utopia component sets. I plan on swapping my perfs out in the spring for a set of either System 360s or 165W3 Utopias.

Just something to think about.

For the average person who ISN'T insanely in love with audio, then you'll be fine with the Infinity's, they really are quite nice.

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 225
According to MobileToys.com (who Infinity uses), you have 6.5" openings with a 4" depth. I couldn't find a year/make/model combination on Crutchfield that worked for the 6.

If MobileToys is right, you've got fairly luxurious factory mounts (ask any Honda owner). I actually can't think of a 6.5" set off the top of my head with a greater than 3.25" depth.

Bang for the buck, the Perfect 6.1s are the best deal going. 150W RMS, rich midbass, smooth crossovers, and a serious tweeter for $200 is basically unrivaled. Another $100 puts you in the middle tier with Focals, DynAudios, and Diamond Audio. Then there isn't a significant quality leap until you get to the $700+ high-end sets.

The tweeter should be fine in your door and, for timing purposes, kept close to the mid. You can reverse the polarity on the tweeters (opposing phase) and move them about 1' excursion difference from the focal point than the mid. However, that's the kind of thing an RTA or quality installer would tell you how to handle.

If you've got imaging issues (which I wouldn't really expect in this car), you can pillar-mount them to ensure a high stage.

Finally, 16ga wire would let you put them just about anywhere your heart desires.

-Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thank you Donald and Matt for your Post I read just about everything you two post because I feel I can learn something.

I am on a sort of budget, but not really... Im one who will wait and save if it's truely the smartest thing to do, but I think I will go with the Perfect 6.1s mainly because they do seem to be a good deal for the price, and the fact that I will need to use a factory HU for a little while or at least until a kit comes out.

Matt do you agree with Donald about just going with front door speakers for now and leaving the rear door speakers out for now, or do you see any opportunity to use those spots to add mid bass or anything else to the equasion?

I am sitting on this because I dont know if I should go ahead and get a 4 channel amp or not, just in case I want something in those darn rear doors.

On that note ((I know this should prolly be in the Amp section)) but ill throw it out there anyways. Since I am using a factory HU I should be getting an Amp with High level inputs for my highend correct? I am looking at maybe this amp Infinity Reference 7540a, but if you feel I should go with something else... please let me know what you would go with.

Thanks again in advance,

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
First, I would not run the Perfects off the factory HU lines: they're about 15W max. I'd hate to see you turn it up wondering why you're not getting good sound and fry something. If you must do this for a while, I'd rather you get a set like the Boston FS60, which have a floor at 15W. They aren't as good, but will be safe.

I do agree with Donald. Even if you were to get rear speakers, the odds that they'll have the same power requirements are pretty slim. I personally recommend only mono midbass in the rear if you're not carrying passengers. Otherwise, a smaller set of attenuated (lower powered) components. Any bright sounds coming from behind you will detract from the forward soundstage.

Regarding the amp/wiring, get a line-level converter (line driver) like the Phoenix TLD22; convert to RCA interconnects behind the HU, then run RCAs like any other aftermarket setup. Otherwise, running that much speaker wire across the car will pick up ambient RF and create a lot of white noise.

Amp choice really depends on what you go with and how you plan this speaker+amp progression.

-Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Sorry Matt I now see my statement about the amp was a little misleading. I will be picking a 2 channel amp for the front componets if I do choose to leave the rear door out of the equation all together.

I am not apposed to running 3 amps, and like your Idea for Mono Mid Bass.

Thanks for the info, and the recommendation for a converter... much appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
Okay, the Hifonics Zeus ZX6000 ($189) is just right for the Kappas.

-Matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us