Headphones for Portable mp3 Player

Username: Bangbang023

Brooklyn, NY United State...

Post Number: 8
I have an iRiver h320 coupled with the Sony MDR-v150's and the sound is pretty decent. However, I have been rather careless with the headphones and they are nearing their end. I am looking at getting a new pair but am unsure where else to go or if I should pick up the v150's again. Honestly, I keep looking at Sennheiser's 202 and 212's but the damn things look enourmous when compared to the v150's which are a perfect size, in my book.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I want something that looks at least half way decent, isn't huge, and has good sound. Are the v150's my only good choice or is there something out there that I just haven't seen yet?

Bronze Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 40
Im not a complete expert on headphones, I've got some new Creative HQ1300 headphones coming tomorrow and i think theyll be great for some low priced headphones!
Id try www.ebuyer.com This site is not American but any headphones you do see on there you like, I'm sure you'll be able to search for them and find them selling in American currency.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 106
head-fi.com has a lot more info on this topic

Bronze Member
Username: Freeringtones

Post Number: 70
Here is what you need.

Sony MDR-v150 Studio Monitor Headphones

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 112
Those Sonys probably sound ok - but for $20 you are not going to get great sound.

The Sennheiser px100 has gotten good reviews for $39 phones. I like mine.

There are better - but they are bigger and cost $60 and up (Sony V6, Sennheiser HD-280 - both are big but fold up).

The only knock on the HD280s seems to be the lack of bass impact - but are supposed to be pretty well equalized by the various bass settings that most portables have (including my two Irivers). As I said I haven't gotten them yet.

The holy grail of small portable headphones is usually thought to be the Sennheiser HD25 phones. (not the hd25-sp which are not too bad but lacking highend). The 25s are small, rugged and sound great! But usually go for $150 used or about $190 new.

The Bang And Olaufsen M8 or something like that are an expensve, decent sounding but nice looking set. About $200 I think.

I don't recommend the Sony EX51s and 71s (not sure of the exact number) - but I used my 51s today and they actually don't sound bad - good but not great.

For me the Sony V6 border on great - they are just missing so many frequencies that they get annoying. The HD280s have not arrived yet. Both of these phones fit in my coat pocket when not in use. But, in summer - I might need to go back to some "in ear" kinds. Shures and Etymotics are the names to look at in "in ear" sound.

Also see http://www.headphonereviews.org/ for reviews of most every decent headphone in a useful format!!!

A lot of money maybe, but if you want to know what else is out there - it might be worth the investment to you. And it might not.

Maybe find a good stereo store that has some Senns and Grados and so forth. Best Buy type stores do not have a good selection.

Bronze Member
Username: Freeringtones

Post Number: 79
Yeah for a bit more money you would be excessivley happy with the Sennheiser PX200

Sennheiser PX200

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 113
I don't mean to disrespect the Sony MDR-v150's or anyone's choice of those phones. They may be great for your use. Sound is in the ear and brain of the hearer.

And it is a slippery and expensive slope to get onto - when you start going to stores to test more expensive models.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us