Underpowering

Username: Pjrage

Post Number: 1
What exactly does underpowering your subs sound like? I think that I may be underpowering my box. I bought the box from my friend, it is 3 JL 10w0 (I'm pretty sure, he told me 10w3, they are old school (like 6-8 years old) , but the voice coil is not as thick as the new 10w3s so I think they are w0) with an old school rockford fosgate punch 75.2 amp bridged. Right now it is in the backseat of my mustang with the seats folded down, firing into the trunk. It is a very small space, so 3 10s is probably a bit much, but it doesn't sound much like its too much. It adds that extra thump, but you can't hear it outside the car or anything. It also sounds a bit "murky" if that makes sense. Another problem that I don't like (don't know if its the amp/subs/combo) but they are not musical AT ALL. They can't hit real low (you can hear it sorta, but its not like hurt your ears low) (like Juvenile Slo Motion low), and they don't sound musical on a bass guitar with rock music. It does sound good on a very small range of frequencies, like in Usher's "Yeah." So, I'm not asking so much AM I underpowering, but WHAT does it sound like if you are, and should I consider a new amp? New subs? A whole new setup?

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 739
Well take the sub out of the box and that will give you your answer. How do you have the sub hooked up to the amp.

Username: Pjrage

Post Number: 3
I am at work now, so I can't take it apart. I know it is in a JL powerwedge and I have no reason to believe it is any different now than the day it was purchased (like 6-8 years ago). Parallel?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us