Building A Ported Box For 2 Alpine Type R's

I am looking to build a ported box for two Alpine Type R's. I'm not to familiar with ports so I need a little help, the overall box volume needs to be 3 cu. ft. I want a single rectangular port. Id appreciate the help.

Anonymous
If you're using 12" subs, Crutchfield says to have between .75 and 1.75 cubic feet per sub so 1.25 cubic feet would be right in the middle. I don't know what the difference would be in a rectangular port, but they call for a 4" diameter 13" long port. Hope this helps.

are the alpine 12" type e speakers any good?

Derek
Get your hands on The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. Madisound, Solen, Old Colony Sound Labs and others sell the book. Radio Shack used to. Try them.

Anonymous
Would 600w by overkill for one alpine type R? I saw some people with 500w hooked up but i wasn't sure if 600w was too much.

Derek
What sort of amp would you use 2 power 2 12 type R's anyway? I'm totally stuck on the matter. Any help appreciated.

Im really thinking about purchasing 2 Alpine type R 12s(SWR-1241D) and Ive been told tha the best set up would be a sealed box and use a 1000 or 1200 watt amp to push them. Many people a using th JBL 1200.1 to push there set ups. I havent begun building my system yet b/c I am torn between 2 diffrent subs: the Infinity Kappa Perfect and the Alpine type Rs. Any input on my choices would be great from those with all those with all the stereo knowledge.

Anonymous
Can you send me a cool box blue prints. Free Thanks

justin
What type of amp do you reccomend to run two Alpine 12" type e subs, 600W max, 200 continous rms

How much air space is needed for 1 alpine type R 10" in a wave box?

Team15hz
if your smart you will go with the infinity's

BDM
Stanley, I would definately choose the Alpine r over the perfects. I own 4 Alpines and they sound great

hey
i just bought 2 10 inch alpine type r's and i was wondering if I should put them in a sealed box or a ported box. im gunna build the box. i listen to rap and techno. i heard the 2 in a computer slot ported box and it sounded so sweet but i was wondering if a sealed box would sound the same. people tell me to just make it sealed but i want it to sound atleast as good as the slotted port box. also im doing this in a standard cab pickup truck. please give me ur input.
thanks
keith

kicker, JL audio, onyx mobile audio, adire audio, diamond, all of these companies i've just listed will blow alpine out of the water. i dont know why so many people are obsessed with the type-rs they arent that great. i'll put a JL w6v2 vs a type-r any day of the week. there is so much better equipment for the money, you people need to shop around before you just buy what other people say is good.

Hey Derek. I own two 15" Alpine Type-R's. I have two amps powering them, one amp per sub. The amps are two Legacy 1200w. I would take you up on yer little battle at any time of any day of any week of any month of any year. I would blow you, and any of those you have listed above, right outta the friggin' water. I have an Alpine CDA-7894 head unit. Wanna take me up on this little competition, travel yer lil' butt right up here to Bangor, Maine and I will take you on at any daymn time.

hahahahaha, you know those legacy amps you have put out about 200 watts rms? notice you have 1 30 amp fuse on the amp. multiply 30 by 12 and you get 360. that is the most power that that amp can put out at any time, and with legacys quality and componenets, you can only get about 200 watts continuous. I dont have the time or money to travel from seattle to maine. its common sense to know that the subwoofer with more power going to it is going to be louder, so if i got my 2 JBL 600.1 amps going to a couple JL w7s, you wouldnt even be able to hear all your distorted horrible bass from your crappy cheap 80 dollar amps.

you get what you pay for demon, you gotta realize that. get a job and buy some real amps, then we'll talk. but right now, i wouldnt even waste my time with those POS amps.

http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/brahma_series.htm

you say you can beat any of those brands? go look at the specs on this sub and tell me your type-rs can even come close to that. it weighs 39 pounds man. your type-r's excursion would not be half of what this is with its triple stacked magnets.

or you could go here and look at this:

http://www.onyxmobileaudio.com/products.asp?pageID=17

that will kill ur alpine also

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/13W7.html

so will that

http://www.lightav.com/car/mmats/subwoofers.html

so will all of those

http://www.lightav.com/car/earth/subs.html

so will those

and i dont even need a picture of the Resonant engineering X X X sub because i have enough proof that you are wrong

the alpine type-r does not even compare to any of these subs, they are in a whole different league. unless you are going to give me proof of anything you say, its pointless to argue, im an MECP certified installer and i know what im doing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032360437&category=18803

that can not compare to any of the above links, in build quality, size, weight, power handling, or sound quality.

alpine makes great head units and signal processors.

they dont make great amps and subs. just a fact.

Anonymous
yo derek,
the only diffarence is that the subs ur talkin bout are like 400 a sub and type r's are like 200 a sub so ud have to compare one of those to 2 of the type r's.

okay, look at the Onyx Mobile audio LS series, factory direct they are 139 dollars and will kill the type-rs. JL audio w3 in a ported enclosure will kill the type-rs, some of the lower model mmatts subs will kill the type-rs, so even at the lower models of these sub companies, they still are better than the top model that alpine has. Alpine cannot compete in the speaker, subwoofer, and amp division as their quality is easily surpassed.

Alpin head units and signal processors on the other hand are some of the best you can buy in the world. and i recommend them to everyone.

oh, and by the way, one adire audio brahma will still kill 2 type-r's

Anonymous
the type R's are best subs for the price. but i had mine in a ported box and they sucked really bad. i put them in a regular box and they are twice as loud make sure whatever box you get is atleast the min required cu ft. wouldnt hurt to go a little more than the min.

devels666
An optimum ported box dimensions 4 the alpine 1241d is 2.52 ft3 and the port dimensions is 4" wide and 16.23" long.Thats 4 each sub woofer, also the tuning frequency will be at 26.44 Hz. I have these subs and they hit low with my alpine 1507 behind them, gl with urs guys!

onyxfortheg20sosoon
wow, i fail to see how the type-rs are cheaper than onyx ls'. I talked to the owner of onyx today and from our little chat i really gained quite a bit more knowledge about car audio. And those type-rice subs are nothing special. I also fail to see how type-rs are cheaper when one costs 199 at circuit city and onyx ls' cost around 150. But anyways in the fantasy world of peak power 1000 watts may seem high in peak form, but 300 watts rms isnt great when those alpines are probably overrated at that level while onyx underrates their subs. Personally now i'd much rather have onyx, than the other subs i've been looking at now. Step up and get that head out of u'r butt and get some subs they dont readily sell at flea markets or circuit city. Those aren't backed by corporate sponsors trying to make their products sound best. Cant wait to get my ls' 12's. Made in the u.s.a. all the way.

Jonathan
I just bought 2 alpine swr-1241d subs and was wondering about what kind of amp to get. there rated at 300 rms and I want enough power to push that.

SC
Try two MRD-M300 amps onr for each of the subs, should do u good.

iv read all your messeges and your all right. what it comes down o is what kind of car and if its sealed or ported. of course also how many cu.ft. i got a typ R for my girl and put a slot 3 inch port with about 13 inch in depth. heres the thing, ive got a 500/1 running it. i cant tell how loud it should since MY ears are used to my 13w7 with 1000/1 in the trunk. type R's are good subs but im a JL man.catch yall later and what ever you own........stay loud.

PS.ill sell the type R for the right price

iv read all your messeges and your all right. what it comes down o is what kind of car and if its sealed or ported. of course also how many cu.ft. i got a type R for my girl and put a 3 cu.ftbox with a slot 3 inch port with about 13 inch in depth. heres the thing, ive got a 500/1 running it. its pretty loud and deep. MY ears are used to my 13w7 with 1000/1 in my trunk. type R's are good subs but im a JL man.catch yall later and what ever you own........stay loud.

PS.ill sell the type R for the right price

Burly Mo
I'm glad I don't listen to all the sh** posted on all the message boards...Alpine type-R's do not suck...One of the 10"s I have now can handle as much power as the one 15" Kicker compvr I had before...For everybody who has their preferences over Alpine, that's fine, but to just say Alpine sucks, you are discounting sound quality...and you can find alpines much cheaper than you can many other's...I have to say that the type-R is the only good sub that Alpine manufactures...the rest of their sub product line is bullsh**

billy madison
yag lla era llay

system guy
Hey, none of you have any idea what you are talking about with boxes - optimal box specs for an 12" alpine type-r sub - 1.75 cu. ft. per sub, 28.8 in. long 12 in. tall 1.5 in wide ports that start in the center of the box (if you are building it for 2) and extend back, then wrap around the back until they end. use at least 3/4" mdf and put anywhere between 300 and 500 watts RMS to each sub

tman
alpine type r kick everyone's peenis for shizzle dizzle

ryan
Memphis is the only way to go heres a link they give you the bang for you buck plus more...
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/P03_Menu.htm

damn this has just been a type-R slug fest... Oh well.

I am looking for some plans to build a ported box for (2) 12" Alpine Type-R's If anyone has any or knows of some good links please E-mail me. X0marvin0X@aol.com Thanks a lot guys... ohh yeah and in my e-mail those are "zer0s" not "O" thanks a lot

the kid
EDIT: I'm Trying to build this box by wed. so the faster the better!! Thanks a lot guys!!

i suggest you stay away from audiobahn and kicker...if you want spl get some fosgate but you wont get much sq...jl audio is good but overrated...join the brethren of the eclipse hierarchy

i have these subs also and the port is 4 inches diameter 14 inches long and 1.3 cubic ft per sub and thats at 35 hz i believe that should sound good also

Yo man
hey i got 100 watts subwoofer thats sound really good.

Anonymous
pyramid makes the best amps...i have two of them powering my tweeters and they are louder than my neighbors car with 50 jl w7s powered by nothing...and i payed only ten times as much as him

Anonymous
Anyone out there that can help me please respond.I just installed a Alpine type r 10 with a Alpine m300 mono amp and it just doesnt seem to want to hit as hard as I thought it was suppost to.How do I turn up my amp or something.Its in a sealed box behind my seat.

Wreckless Dryva
Who in the HELL would get a JL w7 and power it with NOTHING? let alone who would get a sub and power it with nothing....of course tweeters powered by ANY amp will be louder than a w7 powered by nothing...it takes a TON of power to push a w7, they can handle almost 4000w max, powering it with nothing is just a waste of a good sub and money. second of all, type R's are REEEALLY good subs, I would still go with Eclipse or JL and day, you can pick up some JL w3v2s for the same price as a Type R and get better sound quality, might not hit QUITE as loud but pretty close and almost twice the sq.

Also, does anyone have a VENTED box for their 2 type R's? I want to build a slot port for my friends type R 12"s(2 ohms)....i can find port dimensions and volume but I can't find any dimensions for using a vent(slot port) instead of a PVC circle port

john smith
what is sq

you are all jokes i will have a sound of wiht any one of you any time you all talk as if you no so much...you dont no anything. the only one here who knows anything is that derek guy wich still needs to no that when you are comparing two subs and one is in a different class all together then who do you think is gonna win....hhhhmmmmmm i would think the sub thats in the higher class. what you said is like putting a L7w7 up to a kicker L5 thats a joke the jl would smash it not even turned up so maybe you should think before you right, and alpine is the best and always will be those other brands are good and over the years i have ran most of them but my alpine system is the best. i would kill any system that any of you guys own so you wanna see what a real system is like then come here and take a look ay my intagra wiht 4-15inch Alpine Type R's running on 4 alpine v-12 amps....now there a system for yah you guys are all jokes i would kill three of any body here put together so whatch what you say about alpine untel you got something that can beat mine just to give you an idea of what you need my system can hitt right around 168.9 db's so good freaken luck....... give me an e mail if you wanna talk about some audio or what ever i have my installers licence and if i dont no it a couple of my buddys will

Anonymous
I am running 4-15" cadence beast which holds 600 watts rms and i am pushing them with two zrs-10 at 2500 watts at 1 ohm. and i say they are better than kicker, and so is alpine type-r. The R series is under rated big time. The alpine and cadence can smash kicker as$ in. I know mine hit a 156db with sealed box, and one of my homeboys has 3 15" type-R series and hits a 155db with a bullshit amp. It all depends on the box and the right setup.

Anonymous
Hi i have 2 alpine swr 1041d subs and i was wondering wahat a good amp would be to run them.
I was thinking rockford 600s punch.

I have to type r 12 with a jbl 1200.1 in a memphis L port box which really slams!!! i have never had any trouble with either my amp or the sups. I did bust the seals on a q logic box though. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. memiller85@insightbb.com

i bought a used 15" type r sub a couple weeks back. and to power it i bought a brandnew pyramid pb1860 amp. i hooked it all up, and when i turned everything on i got a quick bass beat and then the protect light came on. i wasn't sure if the amp was messed up so i hooked my buddies 8" sub to it and it worked perfect. can anybody help me out?

Anonymous
where did you get that memphis L port box? i was just wondering cause i got the type r 12 and they are in a sealed box. they sound alright but i want to put them in a ported box

Mark
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com
check that for a dealer closest to you

1004Sales
A good amp for 2 type r's would be a rockford 601s, 801, or like a ppi pcx2200. Any good 2 channel 600w rms amp or bigger. Ive seen 2 ran off a rockford bd1501 with the dual 2 ohms. The infinity perfects have a little bit better sound quality, but ive seen alot of problems with those, the aluminim cone and all. The type r has more excusion, a better surround, and basket than the jl w3v2. I think its a better woofer.

I have 2 Alpine Type-R subs. I power them with 2 Alpine V-12 mono sub class D amps. They each push 750 watts to each sub, I got it hooked up to a Pheonix Gold Tantrum Series line driver. Its all done up with plexiglass and felt and blacklights with a huge Alpine logo, it was all custom done, looks and sounds like nothing else ive ever seen.

Are you all amatures or do any of you really know anything about car audio? It seems like there are a lot of you out there who think you are cool because somebody told you something once. I read messages from only one writer here who sounds like he knows what he is talking about. You all should get more knowledge before trying to give advice to the lesser of the readers out there. Quit watching The Fast and the Furious and try to really learn something. Derek sounds to have some good advice for all of you looking for any knowledge of good use.

hey i own 2 1000watt bullet subs and there in 2 single boxes i just wanted to know wat can i do to get mad clear loud deep bass thats all if anyone can help

Anonymous
what was the model number on the memphis poted box?

Joe Smiles
b-web.......... ur problem is in how u have every thing wired, u are probebly wired up in 2ohm bridged, wich is too much for that amp, try wiring in 4 ohm stereo, use one channel of the amp for each voice coil....... that should fix u up... secondly i had two memphis audio 15's, and while they kicked some serious as*, i traded for two type r 12's, put them in a slot port fiberglass box i built myself, and they are kicking some SERIOUS as*, im pleased with my purchase

if anyone needs the conversion for round ports to slot ports... here it goes
3.142xrxr so u want pie times radius times radius
so if u have a 4" round port u need to do 3.142 times 2 times 2. then times how ever many subs u have so if u have two type r 12's as me u need a port SERFICE AREA of 25" so a 10" long by 2.5" wide port is perfect, then just make it the lenth that the maker of the sub rec.

pete
sup all.. i just bought 2 typers subs and very close in buying the punch 601s 1800watt max.. its perfect spec wise (300watts rms to each sub) but was wondering if this would be a good amp for these subs... or is the amp too powerful and stick with a 600 watt amp at less then 200 rms each.?

its like 230$ on ebay....

ne comments?? thanks

Jeff
yall its all about preference, i myself am an audiobahn man. ive had alpine 12's and 15's, kicker 12's and 15's, mtx (those really suck they were my first ones), rockford fosgate 10's 12's and 15's, i had 2 audiobahn 15's for like 5 months and i loved them, they were louder and clearer than all those ive listed. i just dropped down to 4 12's cuz i got a jeep grand cherokee and im building a custom box, and filling my whole trunk and using the side wall where the windows are to put amp racks. one more thing id like to mention is get a cap, they add so much more to ur system, even if u get a cheap one get one. ive got 2 2 farads on my 2 2300hct audiobahn amps they work im telling you, and unless uve had experience installing a system leave it to the pros, i had them do my first 2 and explain how to do it and then i started. i got shocked to hell on my first one but i got through it. just go with preference and not by looks, also go by rms not peak, rms will be a lot louder, aight yall holla lata

Hey guys I have 2 Alpine Type R 12's in my ext. cab Chevy in a sealed box. I'm pushing them with an Audiobahn A8002T 2-channel amp and they put out more than enough sound, and thats on a lower-level amplifier... If you were to hook up a more powerful amp it would be all the sound you could ever hope for... Now as for the battle between Alpine and say Kicker or JL... sure the top end JL's and top end Kickers hit alot harder than the type R's, but you have to consider the type of vehicle you're putting them in and the amount of cash you have to spend... Of course 2 JLw7's would hit harder than 2 Alpine Type R's and I'm sure that there are plenty of subs that hit harder than those... Try putting those JL's against (1) MTX Thunder 9500 and see which vehicle has a trunk still attached when you're done hitting and which one doesn't... Well as an owner of 2 Alpine Type R's I must say i'm both satisfied and impressed, and I would recommend them to anyone... Thanks yall

Username: Bass_head

Post Number: 1
listen guys. i work at circuit city. the alpine type r's 12 inch subs are going for $160. now you all talk smack but have you listened to each of the subs? no ok then shh, now listen. a 94 pathfinder with four type r 12 inch subs hit a 157db reading. thats a four door suv, not your best car for spl. but then you all wouldn't know that. he has two, count em mtx thunder 6500d's each amp is seeing a 1 ohm load. with two 1 farad caps. he lost by three dbs to a navagator with a wall behind the back seats with two cervin vega stroker subs. guess what they were 18 inch subs boys. thats the 48 inches and up club boys. now, who do you think spent more? the pathfinder has no sound deadning material at all and the boxes are in my opinion too small but damn 157db. with no modifcations to the car. now i got a alpine tye r 10 inch sub in a vt box. i have a 89 camry four door sedan. i can hit a 135db easy. with a kicker zr120 amp. i got a 1 farad cap and a alpine head unit. the tens are retailing for 149.99 as of today. but get this boys, i work with the guy who owns the path finder and after the roadshop guys heard my tiny system they promtly shut up becoause its one ten, everybody thought i had two 12's guys. one of our installers has a integra he had two rockford xlc 15 inch subs a sony 1000 amp and a 1 farad cap. unfortunatly he has a pionqueer head unit but its the dehp6500, look it up if you don't know. any how he sold the subs got a dual ten vt box and two, 2ohm type r tens. that thing hits so hard on that little sony amp the hatch wouldnt stay closed. the rear wing was vibrating the body panels were flexing. needless to say the whole store heard that thing and many workers came to the install bay to see what it was. hes easiliy hitting 155 plus and he would be in the 0-24 inch cla$$. my boy with the four 12s is in the class above em and the integras is as louder on the inside. those subs will handle 1200 watts no problem. they have a rms of 600, thats 300 per coil. ith a peak of over a thousand and i know this becaouse we hooked them up in the store in the demo room to the 1200 watt audioban amp. it puts out 1200 watts at 1ohm at 14.volts stablably. they rocked the dern store. in addition guy the alpine subs are under rated not over rated. a 10 can handle 800 watts bye its damn self i know i did it and it didn't sound distorted at all. total cost of box and subs 400 dollers abopt the price of your jl audio subs by them selves. 149 per sub and we can get vt boxes all day for about $120-$140 so now what? say somthing, talk to me about thd, say somthing bout rms say somthing about sound presure level. cheak out mtx web sihgt, the 9500 ten slams the jl w7 for less. mtx used jl's own specs on it's spekaes doing a head to head comarison the mtx beat it in everything except sesativity the ten is sitting at 85.db that means it takes less power to bump em. its $349 at circuit city right now. it wieghs 50 pounds and has 12 screw holes. talk to me about magnetic flux and xmech its got jl beat and its easy to mount. so the jl has a bit more cone area the mtx meats and exceeds that just by it's sheer excursion and for so much less. rockford is good, pheonix gold, orion, sony ,pioneeir , kenwood and many of the heavy hitters are losing it. if you can get any of their old stuff get it. but cheak out earthquake, or digital designs, get some mmats or somthing dig deep not cheap, ppi, tube amp, or audiobahn high current amps you know the ones for $600. legacy sucks and so do many of those upstart companys. i tested all the amps, get a cla$$ d or bd amp they stay cooler have a lower thd and have a higher effency then normal class ab amps like legacy, boss and american bass. the type rs are bad and the mtx thunder 9500s are even better. oh by the way we had that intgra parked way up in the bay with the garage doors down the car shook the bays doors from 9 feet away with the car doors closed. we cant keep the trunk from realsing all the pressure. the seal is horrendus. keep in mind this integra has no sound deadning meterial either. now go get some and tell me bout it. keep it real.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 186
-now you all talk smack but have you listened to each of the subs? no ok then shh, now listen.

Actually yes I have. I've been in this industry for over a decade, and worked for a high end, small chain, not the mass marketed middle of the road megamarts like circuit city or best buy with the hordes of brainwashed highschool graduate sales people who spout back what they're told by factory reps who could sell an icebox to an eskimo.
The type-R is a nice sub, but for the money, there are better subs out there, and in 10 years of IASCA events, I've seen, heard, and probably installed just about everything out there.

-a 94 pathfinder with four type r 12 inch subs hit a 157db reading.

I'd sure as hell hope he's hitting in the 150 range with four twelves, and that much power behind them. I use a grand cherokee, and with two twelves (not alpine) and a single orion amplifier giving the subs a total of 250WRMS each, I am metering 147dB. That's exactly half of what he's hitting, but with a hell of a lot less surface area, Xmax, and power. Now for the reality of this whole excercise. SPL isn't everything. Nobody cares who has the loudest car if it sounds like two cats screwing when you turn it up.
I'd much rather have a system in the 140dB range with better sound quality.

-not your best car for spl. but then you all wouldn't know that.

actually SUVs are fine for SPL if you dampen them well. All of that space inside can be used for an 8th order bandpass box for two 18" subs which would do serious damage in any SPL event, if you have the skills to build the box.. which *you* don't, most likely.

-with two 1 farad caps.

which are completely useless.
what he needs is a high output alternator, with a regulator set to 14.4VDC. That would help him.
He could also dynamat that SUV which would gain him some SPL as well, since the more you keep the sound in the vehicle, the less energy you waste.

-He lost by three dbs to a navagator with a wall behind the back seats with two cervin vega stroker subs. they were 18 inch subs.

4 12" subs = 1810 sq inches
2 18" subs = 2036 sq inches
the two 18" Strokers had him in both displacement, and Xmax.
+3dB is equivalent to double the amplifier power in general terms.

-now, who do you think spent more?

that entirely depends on where he got the subs.
new, the Stroker 18" is selling for $300-360 US ea.
2*300 < 4*160

-i got a alpine tye r 10 inch sub in a vt box. i have a 89 camry four door sedan. i can hit a 135db easy with a kicker zr120 amp.

I'd hope so.

-i got a 1 farad cap and a alpine head unit.

want more response from that sub? get a good 8 volt line driver for your subwoofer pre-outs.
Alpine has weak sub preouts. Not the advertised 4 volts. front and rear preouts are 4V. sub output is closer to 1.6 volts. This is a documented issue in just about all current and recent alpine models.
that capacitor isn't helping you any.
see here:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=10.topic

-its one ten, everybody thought i had two 12's guys.

The day two 12" subs only hit 135dB, would be the day I sell the system and start over. :-)
Did you say that's a bandpass enclosure?
I've seen a single (again, non alpine) 10" sub hit over 150dB at an event. It happens to hold a record for a single ten. Again though, SPL isn't everything.

-one of our installers has a integra he had two rockford xlc 15 inch subs a sony 1000 amp and a 1 farad cap. unfortunatly he has a pionqueer head unit but its the dehp6500

RF is mediocre at best.
Sony is the biggest pile of crap on the market.
cap, again, no help
Pioneer is the only good thig you listed so far. I used to sell both Alpine and Pioneer Premiere.
They are two of the 4 best ehad units on the market, along with Clarion and Eclipse, not in that order.

-he sold the subs got a dual ten vt box and two, 2ohm type r tens.

If he's wise, he sold that amp, too.

-the hatch wouldnt stay closed. the rear wing was vibrating the body panels were flexing.

That's just an Integra for you.
I did a system in a co-worker's Integra at the shop. Two Orion XTR 12" DVC subs, on an Orion 280GX amplifier. 160W x 2. Blew the back window out of that hatchback, using a bandpass enclosure I designed that took up his trunk with enough room for a CD changer and the two amplifiers for subs/components. Those cars don't hold up well with systems.
Did another one that took second place at Nationals, even after the back end got wrecked in a car accident on teh way there and was duct taped shut. That car didn't fare well either over time.

-easiliy hitting 155 plus

I'll believe that when I see it on a sanctioned C-weighted RTA. I have the strong feeling you're guessing at all of these SPLs, and have no real experience with an RTA at sanctioned events.

-those subs will handle 1200 watts no problem.

Actually, they'll handle 500WRMS each before causing thermal damage to the voice coils.
Read the Pmax specs on the T-S parameter sheet.

-peak of over a thousand

peak handling is meaningless. that's a momentary reading, not a continuous power handling. Never, ever look at peak ratings for speakers or amplifiers. They tell you nothing remotely useful.

-1200 watt audioban amp. it puts out 1200 watts at 1ohm at 14.volts stablably.

At full output, maybe, but I doubt even that.
Audiobahn is chromed out garbage. Try using a good amplifier sometime for that reading, like JL Audio, or Zapco, using a regulated power supply, and output stage. If you game those subs 1.2Kwatts continuous (on a scope) you'd cook the coils in about 15 seconds.

-total cost of box and subs 400 dollers abopt the price of your jl audio subs by them selves.

I'd take a single JL Audio 13W7 over your two twelves any day of the week, and blow you out of the car with it, too. A 13W7 has a one-way linear excursion of 32mm. ONE way, not p-to-p. Compare that to your Alpines, then we'll talk. With a JL 1000/1 amp to drive that sub, you'd be awe-struck.
There is no comparison between the two products at ALL. For the money, a type-R is a decent sub. Type-R is the only alpine line of sub I'd even consider honestly, but don't be foolish enough to compare tehm to JL unless you compare tehm to a W3v2 or W0 model 12". The 12W0 sells for $125 retail.

-talk to me about thd

The THD of the driver is considerably higher than the amplifier, in just about any comparison, but THD is really a meaningless stat anyway. If you're foolish enough to use it as a benchmark, that merely proves that you're uneducated about audio hardware. THD rarely even states how it's measured. FCC spec? EIA spec? Do you know the difference?

-the [MTX] 9500 ten slams the jl w7 for less.

Not this again. Read the thread we already had on this topic. MTX used the tens, because wehn you get to the 12" subs, the JL specs crush the 9512.
MTX doesn't bother to increase Xmax with driver size. JL does. The JL W7 line is a superior sub.
I've heard both side by side. MTX's paper specs don't hold up in real life applications.

-mtx beat it in everything except sesativity the ten is sitting at 85.db that means it takes less power to bump em.

wrong! sensitivity is a meaningless spec when using more than about 100WRMS to power a driver.
Again, being misled by paper specs.
Actually if a driver has a higher sensitivity, it would require less power for the same output, anyway at low power levels.

-it wieghs 50 pounds and has 12 screw holes.

weight is meaningless. magnetic field strength depends on material as well as design. not raw weight. Also, if the magnet is too large, you will over-damp the driver, which will make it perform poorly anyway. Look at Audiobahn, who tout magnet weight to impress people, yet make lousy speakers anyway. 12 screw holes?
This makes a sub superior? At best it means you get a good seal to the box, but JL subs come with a sealer ring anyway. That makes them nice and air tight.

-xmech

wtf is xmach?
Did you mean Mechanical Xmax?

-mtx meats and exceeds that just by it's sheer excursion

Did you graduate highschool? Your spelling is horrid.
Ok let's do a little comparison here:
MTX 9512 Xmax: 22.5mm one-way
JL Audio 13W7 Xmax: 32mm one-way

-rockford is good

no. not even close.

-pheonix gold

not too bad, but not great.

-orion

older Orion can't be touched by MTX for amplifiers. Look at the HCCA and SX series amps some time. The only things that compare these days are Arc Audio, Zapco, McIntosh, and Sinfoni.

-sony

boat anchors.

-pioneeir

only good for premiere series head units.

-kenwood

great door stops. also good to weight down the manure bucket when scooping out stalls for horses.

-many of the heavy hitters are losing it.

welcome to conglomerate america. many large companies are being bought out and mass marketed, and turned to crap. RF, PPI, Orion, PG, and many other formerly of the USA companies, now moved overseas, and cheaped out. It's hard to find good companies now, and those that are very good, still aren't cheap, and still aren't carried in stores like BB or CC.

-if you can get any of their old stuff get it.

hell yeah! amen!

-digital designs, get some mmats or somthing

DD and MMATS. great subs. along with Onyx, Adire, RE, ID, JL, Kove, and a few other high end companies.

-legacy sucks and so do many of those upstart companys.

yup, sadly, companies like rockwood, legacy, and others have been around for over a decade, and will stay around, preying on the uneducated, and the cheapskates.

-get a cla$$ d or bd amp they stay cooler have a lower thd and have a higher effency then normal class ab amps like legacy, boss and american bass.

ummm, ok time for a lesson on amplifier classes. I'm glad I just wrote up this article.
here:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=35.topic

there is no class BD, or RS.

-we had that intgra parked way up in the bay with the garage doors down the car shook the bays doors from 9 feet away with the car doors closed.

My IASCA car had two 12" subs, with 160WRMS each. I could drop picture frames off the walls of the tune and lube shop across the paring lot about 50 ft away when I'd demo the system to customers.
They got really tired of me. Thankfully I'd gotten one of my friends a job as their clerk there. She adored me, so I got away with it. heh
Shook the hell out of store windows though, and set off car alarms. That's with a damped vehicle too mind you. Most of the sound was retained in the car unless the door was open or teh window down.

best of luck.
-GlassWolf, E.E., Master Installer

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 13
what kind of subs do you have glasswolf?
btw, thats some really good advice hehe i know im not one to say much but i like what you have to say :-)

Post Number: 193
It wasn't meant as an attack really.. although I guess it ended up comong across that way in part.
I just get tired of the condescension that blossoms throughout this car audio hobby.
Sometimes I guess people just need to keep an open mind and try to keep learning instead of reaching a point where they think they know everything, then go bashing everyone else. Hell, even with what I know, I still learn new things every day, and refine or alter what I thought I knew, or what applied before, but no longer does..
anyway to answer you, I was using a pair of Cerwin-Vega LE12-D 12" DVC subs, built in 1989.
In my IASCA car (88 Festiva) they were on an Orion 280GX. (Class-AB, 160wRMS x 2 X 2 Ohms)
Now they're in a 94 Grand Cherokee on an Orion 2125SX amplifier. (Class-AB, 250wRMS x 2 @ 2 Ohms)
I'm looking at a pair of Onyx LSM12v.2 12" subs now, with a Zapco C2K-9.0CX amplifier to drive them.

Post Number: 18
those LSM12v.2's are freakin expensive, $460 per sub and not to mention zapcos amps they're probably the best amps made nowadays if ur willing to spend the money, am i right? and i know it doesnt say on the manufacturer's site, but those LSM12v.2's, whats the XMax on them?

i mean i'd probably never go into SPL comp, or spend any more than $1500 on a sound system but i like to have that extra thump hehe :-)

Post Number: 199
yes the Zapco amplifier is in the four figure range, and well into it, at that. It's a fantastic amp though using their SymbiLink interfaces. Balanced 15V line driver inputs, with matched EQs, crossovers, and signal processors.
I'm waiting on the T-S specs from Onyx as we speak since I can't find my old data, but if I recall the Xmax on that 12" is around 28mm I think? that's one-way.
They are terrific subs though. Great for SQ, which is my goal.

next project will look a lot like this:
Eclipse CD8053 and Eclipse Commander
Zapco SLX-4 SymbiLink Crossover
Zapco EQ30-SL SymbiLink Third Octave 30-band EQ
Zapco C2K-9.0XD Amplifier (600WRMS x 2 @ 2 Ohms Stereo)
Zapco Z400C4-SL (200WRMS x 2 @ 4 Ohms Bridged)
(2) Onyx LSM 12v.2 12" subs. 600WRMS each
DynAudio System 360 3-way components for front stage
300A Alternator, and 1/0 gauge power distribution

Username: Eman

Post Number: 1
does anybody here have dimensions and port sizes for Alpine Type R that they would like to give me. i would prefer that the ports would square not round. If anyone could help me out i would greatly appricaite it.

Post Number: 672
there's a box calculator at www.bcae1.com
you can plan out the box yourself with the sub specs.

conway
Unregistered guest
how big a box do u need to fit a alpine 12 type r in a 2001 ext.cab 4x4 silverado truck

Post Number: 2
did you make your own box for these subs too?

Username: 01gsxr

Post Number: 59
I just wanted to respond to that jerk Brad mixxer, 168.9 db hahahahahahahaha ok pal, Thats funny.

Post Number: 3
does anyone have vented box measurements that they would like to give me for 2 12" alpine type r subs?

Unregistered guest
**jeff-i just finished building a box for a friend of mine a few weeks ago using 2 alpine type r's (swr-1241d) which was a major step up for him from the pyramid he used to swear by (lol it took many years but i finally got him to give up on them and yeah theres no turning back for him now) now to answer your question first of all you said 3 cu ft i hope you have a divider between the 2 subs and they should not be sharing a single 3 cu ft chamber and the divider will be for center box support as well as giving each sub its own chamber to use.
if you wanted a rectangle port you need 2 and should not use one port. i had to decide if i wanted to build my friends box with round or rectangle/square ports and at the last minute i went with round since he also had some 4" pipe already available.
now for your box if the box isnt already built i would go a little larger than a total of 3 cu ft and more closer to 3.5 cu ft with a rectangle port of 3" x 4" opening and a length of 20 inches and 15/16. that will give you a mach number of .09 and tuned to 30hz and keep in mind the sub displaces about .10 cu ft and the port .14 cu ft so if you only have a chamber that is finished to 1.5 cu ft by the time you put the sub and port in the box you will have less room and more like 1.26 cu ft left which will be a bit small.
if you dont already have the box built i would go larger and for a 3.5 cu ft box it would be something to the size of 16.5x25x10.5 and the same opening of the rectangle port (3x4) will still work but now the length only needs to be 17.5 inches.

**eman- you can benefit from the above answer also and 16.5x25x10.5 should work for you too but for simplicity if you want round ports use 4" internal diameter with a length of 18 inches and 3/16 but the above measurements and a port on each side should get you tuned to 30hz.
if those dimensions dont work for you just remember any dimension in length, width and height can be adjusted and changed so long as you remember to add or subtract the difference you take from somewhere else to make it work. the main thing you want to do is keep the internal volume the same. but for example to give you an idea what i mean lets say using my suggestion you find 25 inches is just too long to work for you and you take 5 inches off and 20 is a good width then just add the 5 inches you took off somewhere else and instead of 10.5 you can put it there and now have 15.5 and if thats better than thats great but you can change any or all the numbers but dont leave anything out you change.
make the box change for you not change your car for the box!

when i did custom installs i specialized in stealth enclosures and its still a personal thing for me and if at all possible i like to hide my stuff inside the car anywhere possible (heh within reason that is i mean its kinda hard to hide 3 cu ft and up) but i realize that isnt everybody's goal but unless you really want to you should never have to alter your car for the sake of subwoofers and with careful planning and some math or possibly going to fiberglass you can keep your car in one piece and have a sub enclosure.

any further questions or if you need help just email me jay_amaro_irocz28@yahoo.com

Bronze Member
Username: Redskin

Post Number: 41
Just to point out that you can't just take 5" off one measurement and add it to another as the volume will be completely diferent.eg....
16.5x25x10.5=4331.25cu in
16.5x20x15.5=5115cu in almost 1/2cu ft bigger.
16.5x30x5.5=2772.5cu in almost 1cu ft smaller.
By all means change the dimensions but just make sure you keep the internal volume the same as your recommended/design volume.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
*** ATTENTION ***
jeff, eman,
i completely forgot to adjust those dimensions for 2 subs and just realized that y'all were asking about 2 alpines, ok heres the revision:
14x32x18
ok that should work much better for 2 subs and those are all external dimensions that should be easier and i left room for cross bracing or a ribbing type bracing across the top, bottom and sides using a 1x1 and of course the divider in the middle.
for both of you though vent dimensions stay the same.
sorry about the slip there :P
jay

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
*redman* yes your right i forgot to add that if you move a number you have to adjust in the 3rd number also thanks redman for catching that, its second nature for me so i always forget to point that out.
jolly good old chap it would be a shame if it was that simple and then the volume got askew...time for me to reboot my brain :P
jay

glass warewolf
Unregistered guest
Wow, I wish I was as smart as this d*ck head glass wolf. I would own my own store and make my own product and take over the world. And then I would find a board and bash everyone because I know more than anyone. Why? because my name is glass wolf and I live in my computer where I can be who I want to be, just me and "posts". Oh yeah! I would bash people about their spelling becasue I am SOOO smart. What?,,,, Who cares that I am dyslexic and I can't spell either. I told you once this is my board and just because I like to spell "the", "teh" and "coming", "comong" and "head", "ehad" and "when", "wehn" does not matter one bit. So all you newbies out there with good questions, post them and I will smash them, If there is a debate going on, post that also and I will gladly smash you because this board is my life, and what I say goes. Or should I spell goes like this? "geos"

Stay Tuned for more of my life story

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1564
what a sad life you must live.

Cirus
Unregistered guest
I'm no expert but I know from what ive heard. Its all about preferance...potato patoto. I don't like the Alpine subs..Thier not bad...but I don't like them I am running (2) kicker L5 10's (those are the saquare subs) My cuzin has two 12" R types Mine is alot louder then his... Some one said in here that you should go by RMS...he/she is right. I hate it when a company says its 200 watts rms and its like 800 peak... It dosnt work that way you take the RMS number x by 2 and you got peak.. Now take a JL 1000/1 put it on two r types (witch are "1000 peak") and they will go boom then toast themselfs...But Like I said I don't like alpines so oh well but however I do know some stuff so if any one needs help on somthing e-mail me @ flushedturd@hotmail.com

danny
Unregistered guest
derek, you are an idiot! there is no way that a onix will beat an alpine r. i owned onix and they sucked. onix is a new company and they dont know the ropes yet. i would just shut up if i were you. your just talking out your butt read the reviews butt hole. i would put my two alpine r 12s with a 1500d against anything you can possibly dish out. your stupid jl piece of junks cant even compare. drive out to missouri some time and stop buy for your hummiliation.... alpine is the best for the money

Unregistered guest
Onyx subwoofers are one of the best subs when it comes to SPL. Try the 15" monster series subs, with a mark antony amp. Now your talking about blowing your ear drumbs. my friend has two 12 inch lsm series onyx with two mtx 940 watt amps. He hit a 148 db last year. But however, the alpine subs are nice for beginners but if you want some power, go for eclipse, onyx, mtx 9500's, and dd subs, mtx are overpriced, but Phoenix gold is good as hell to

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
rofl ok a type-r is what? like $200? yeah..

buy a shiva for $125, it will rip apart a type R, hell a pair of them too lol and thats for $75 less too...there are aLOT better buys out there than alpine with exception of their head units - some of the best on the market with Eclipse, Pioneer premier and clarion

JLs junk? lol...wont even say anything there because its so wrong..

type r's on a 1500d? do u mean BX1500D or thunder 1501D? type-r's will die if you put more than 400-450w rms on them and even thats over their limit

im going to quote derek, and he's right as far as everything goes...

and i quote...
"http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/brahma_series.htm

you say you can beat any of those brands? go look at the specs on this sub and tell me your type-rs can even come close to that. it weighs 39 pounds man. your type-r's excursion would not be half of what this is with its triple stacked magnets.

or you could go here and look at this:

http://www.onyxmobileaudio.com/products.asp?pageID=17

that will kill ur alpine also

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/13W7.html

so will that

http://www.lightav.com/car/mmats/subwoofers.html

so will all of those

http://www.lightav.com/car/earth/subs.html

so will those

and i dont even need a picture of the Resonant engineering X X X sub because i have enough proof that you are wrong

the alpine type-r does not even compare to any of these subs, they are in a whole different league. unless you are going to give me proof of anything you say, its pointless to argue, im an MECP certified installer and i know what im doing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032360437&category=18803

that can not compare to any of the above links, in build quality, size, weight, power handling, or sound quality.

alpine makes great head units and signal processors.

they dont make great amps and subs. just a fact."

Unregistered guest
what ever happened to the good ole days of
"Sound Stream"

mford
Unregistered guest
I have 4 type-r 1241's in my isuzu rodeo, and i posted a 168db in a recent sound off in Texas. I have a pheonix gold 1200.1 octane series running them, so to say that the type r's are pos, is really bs.

keepers audio
Unregistered guest
Alpine does make good head units. So does Pioneer and Sony. But thats where those name brands stop and others pick up. Want subs get any of the Memphis subs in the correct enclosure with sufficient RMS power and 1 Memphis will blow away 2 or more of those other subs. Fact. Wanna good amp Memphis again. Yes their 300 watt is more expensive than others but its also more powerfull. And look at the THD(total harmonic distortion). Dont want Memphis, try Powerbass Xtreme, MMatts, Rockford, Kicker, Strokers, and Kove. However for the price memphis surpasses them. With more than 6 levels of subs there is one for each level of income. How do I know. Ive tried them. I compete with memphis for spl. Sound Quality? I use DLS. Pioneer head units all the way. The pioneer P9 is untouchable. Go to actuall Car Audio shows like SBN and those leading up to IASCA world finals. See what the competitors have and how they are doing. The only ones with alpine are usually ALPINE, not always but usually. That also goes for sony as well. Im not putting down Alpine subs and amps but Alpine just dont spend the time or money to develope high end stuff. Fot those of you who take my advice for what its worth visit my site at www.keepersaudio.com. By the way we brought home 5 trophies from SBN 2004. SBN stands for Spring break Nationals in daytona. One of our cars, a 2003 Honda S2000 got 2nd in IASCA SQ Rookie 1-600, there were 27 cars in that class. What put us at 2nd DLS, and our install. Check out DLS at www.dls-america.com. Yes this stuff aint cheap at all but its very clean. And for you bass heads DLS isnt for you. No offence Im a bass head from time to time.

whatever
Unregistered guest
Alpine subs wont take a whole lot of power. I got a customer that bought a Memphis 1000d amp and put it on 2 type r alpine subs. What happened, 3 sets of subs later Circuit city in annonymous town didnt want to honor their warranty and said the enclosure must be wrong. The enclosure was correct. I believe it was suspossed to be a little under 1FT^3. I may be wrong cuz I dont keep up with there specs. Yes they sounded good and clean and they hit ok but I got another customer with the same setup vehicle and all with the exception of 2 memphis 10 PR dual voice coils. They are about $90 depending upon where you get them. They will beat the type Rs. Nothing agaist circuit city or alpine.

Unregistered guest
i bet they wont beat two of my alpine type x's .. my subs will sh*t on whatever you got. email me at mykillerimport@msn.com and i will send you a file of my roof flex from it.. and i will bet $500 that no one has a higher SPL than me.. come to milwaukee and take the offer put if u aint a p*ssy

Kristie_Carter@yahoo.com
Unregistered guest
I have two Alpine Type E's and i am wanting to build a sealed, slant speaker box. Can any one help me with the specifications for a slant box, Also known as an SUV box?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2084
Kristie, try www.bcae1.com
lots of good info
if you need specifics, start a new thread, and ask questions.
several people here can help.

As for the Alpines, the subs are nice, but when I get this Tiburon set up, I'll probably take those two subs. I'm looking at using four 12" Eclipse titaniums, driven with two kicker KX1200.1 amps most likely, in a hatchback two door.
Considering I could take the fairy across from 20 minutes away here in MI and be there in WI, I may have to take ya up on that bet later this year when I get teh car set up the way I want it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us